421 Stroker with Trick Flow Heads/Intake Dyno - Redux

-
Couple of things: I have a dealer discount through Summit. I also ordered a lot of these parts prior to the price increases. I already had the block and some accessories.

Edit: All-in I'm at $6,756.91. I bought the headers off of a dead guy years ago. (Funny story about that)
It's very possible to spend that little. Most of the time it starts with ..doing it yourself.

Another update:

I decided to make a few additional changes before Summer. I ordered a new set of pistons from Ross which will bump my C/R to 12.25:1. I also had Bullet regrind the latest cam to increase the duration and lift. Only cost $200.00 to have it reground so it was a no-brainer.

New cam specs:

Grind Number CRA 316/322-10HR CHRYSLER 'A' 273-360

Part Number 504000 SN T57719
Duration at .050 260int 266exh
Lobe Lift 0.3858 0.3820
Separation 110

OP CL OP CL
Timing Events @.050 24.0 56.0 67.0 19.0

Duration @.006 316int 322exh
Gross Valve lift 0.5790 0.5730
Rocker Ratio 1.5 1.5

Intake Lobe to 106
.700"WD

With the 1.6 rockers the lift came out to 0.617

I ended up keeping the 110 LSA because this will be a nitrous motor, and the consensus is the wider RPM range will benefit when I spray it.

With all of the changes, I'm considering bringing the motor back to the dyno to get a comparison between the different cams and bumping the compression. If I can scrounge up some extra ca$h to do it, I think it would be fun. I may even bring the NX kit with me :)

Please dyno the new combo. I'm considering a similar cam for my stroker when I redo it. But I want a 106 LSA. I want to know where it makes power & where the torque peak is. Hoping for 550+.

Please dyno the new combo. I'm considering a similar cam for my stroker when I redo it. But I want a 106 LSA. I want to know where it makes power & where the torque peak is. Hoping for 550+.
550+ hp or torque ? it is alll intake and heads i made 530 hp 565 tq with crap heads and intake

I want both. Which heads & intake do you have?
you don´t want what i had , much more with good heads and intake , i had ede bigmouth heads with 208 valves offset rockers and A victor340 not ported . get n better heads and ported victor and you can up that hp and tq
good luck hope you make some good numbers

Another update:

I decided to make a few additional changes before Summer. I ordered a new set of pistons from Ross which will bump my C/R to 12.25:1. I also had Bullet regrind the latest cam to increase the duration and lift. Only cost $200.00 to have it reground so it was a no-brainer.

New cam specs:

Grind Number CRA 316/322-10HR CHRYSLER 'A' 273-360

Part Number 504000 SN T57719
Duration at .050 260int 266exh
Lobe Lift 0.3858 0.3820
Separation 110

OP CL OP CL
Timing Events @.050 24.0 56.0 67.0 19.0

Duration @.006 316int 322exh
Gross Valve lift 0.5790 0.5730
Rocker Ratio 1.5 1.5

Intake Lobe to 106
.700"WD

With the 1.6 rockers the lift came out to 0.617

I ended up keeping the 110 LSA because this will be a nitrous motor, and the consensus is the wider RPM range will benefit when I spray it.

With all of the changes, I'm considering bringing the motor back to the dyno to get a comparison between the different cams and bumping the compression. If I can scrounge up some extra ca$h to do it, I think it would be fun. I may even bring the NX kit with me :)
Did you dyno the new cam in the engine?

well here is a video of my first try with the 426 stroker 505hp 564 tq , changed pistons heads and intake after this run

Nat, did the engine get retested with the new parts?
What were the results.
What were the specs of the cam used that made the 505hp?
The curve has to be falling of rather quickly to make 560tq, at a decently high rpm........ to end up with only 505hp.

The results are in! Best pull made 551tq @ 4200 and 528hp @ 5600. We made a few additional pulls to 6000 rpms and it leveled off until 6300. Got to 531hp, but you could hear her laboring to get there.

Learned a lot today. First, the 190 intake volume on these heads has its limitations and is good for 360-410 displacement. Any more cubes and the heads simply run out of air. The tradeoff is I got gobs of torque down low with the longer stroke. Considering this motor is going into a street car, I'm okay with these results. I wanted 530hp and I got 528. Not bad. Not earth shattering either. I'm sure with some porting, it could make bigger numbers, but I'm not chasing it with this motor. A set of worked Indy heads or W heads will absolutely perform better on a larger displacement motor. End of story. These heads are intended for the guy that wants better-than-average flowing heads out of the box on a stroker less than 416ci.

Overall, I really like these heads and the intake. The fit and finish is excellent and what you'd expect from TrickFlow. As long as you have reasonable expectations, I'd highly recommend them.

1.31 lbs-ft per cid is a strong showing. Nice build.

1.31 lbs-ft per cid is a strong showing. Nice build.
Thank you. I appreciate that. I think the new cam will wake it up. It pulled hard in the car. Really looking forward to the new setup. Adding the nitrous is going to be ridiculous.

well here is a video of my first try with the 426 stroker 505hp 564 tq , changed pistons heads and intake after this run , then i put the engine on a stand and put the 450hp 340 back in the car 8mpg at $8.20 a galon was killing me 120 miles a day hurts the wallet . Will put the 426 back when it is done up right skip video to 5 minute mark

Cool motor.. my end goal is a 426, just looking for a 360 roller block for now :)

well here is a video of my first try with the 426 stroker 505hp 564 tq , changed pistons heads and intake after this run , then i put the engine on a stand and put the 450hp 340 back in the car 8mpg at $8.20 a galon was killing me 120 miles a day hurts the wallet . Will put the 426 back when it is done up right skip video to 5 minute mark

Nat , Were those the Hughes BM's in that video? You're only 1hr further from Nick's to my place. Just sayin. J.Rob

Cool motor.. my end goal is a 426, just looking for a 360 roller block for now :)
just get the best heads and intake you can . with good heads my 426 could have been close to 600 hp

just get the best heads and intake you can . with good heads my 426 could have been close to 600 hp
yeah, i already have trick flows.. it will come in time.. :)

Sucker is done! Just bolted the pan on.

Unfortunately, guys...Round #2 of the engine dyno is likely not going to happen this year. My dyno shop is booked until September, so they cannot get me in.

So we're going to tune this the old fashioned way....the best way....at the track! If I feel frisky in the Fall, I may schedule a chassis dyno day for science.

Stay tuned.

imagejpeg-0002.jpg

Sucker is done! Just bolted the pan on.

Unfortunately, guys...Round #2 of the engine dyno is likely not going to happen this year. My dyno shop is booked until September, so they cannot get me in.

So we're going to tune this the old fashioned way....the best way....at the track! If I feel frisky in the Fall, I may schedule a chassis dyno day for science.

Stay tuned.

View attachment 1716113292
Hi, any results with the new version of this engine ? Curious to hear, also curious did bullet recommend the regrind to the 260 duration simply due to compression increase or you wanted even more rpm range? How high do you want to rev it ?

Hi, any results with the new version of this engine ? Curious to hear, also curious did bullet recommend the regrind to the 260 duration simply due to compression increase or you wanted even more rpm range? How high do you want to rev it ?

Bullet's guys picked out the cam. Their thought process was they were trying to trick the heads into thinking they flow more by bumping the duration while keeping the lift around the .600 - .615 area with the 1.6 rockers. It seems to have worked because it's pulling much harder almost everywhere. I also upgraded my carb to a custom 950 IRD and it is AWESOME. The Brawler was good, but this IRD is stupid nice.

20231025_153637.jpg

I didn't end up putting it on the chassis dyno. Just a series of life things came up this Fall and I didnt have time before the snow started. The car is getting picked up next week to get the cage installed. Once I get a trailer in the Spring, I'm bringing it to our local 1/8th and I'm going to tune it there. That slip is the only one that matters anyway.

She'll be ready in 24'. :)

20231217_125936.jpg

Bullet's guys picked out the cam. Their thought process was they were trying to trick the heads into thinking they flow more by bumping the duration while keeping the lift around the .600 - .615 area with the 1.6 rockers. It seems to have worked because it's pulling much harder almost everywhere. I also upgraded my carb to a custom 950 IRD and it is AWESOME. The Brawler was good, but this IRD is stupid nice.

View attachment 1716181486

I didn't end up putting it on the chassis dyno. Just a series of life things came up this Fall and I didnt have time before the snow started. The car is getting picked up next week to get the cage installed. Once I get a trailer in the Spring, I'm bringing it to our local 1/8th and I'm going to tune it there. That slip is the only one that matters anyway.

She'll be ready in 24'. :)

View attachment 1716181487
Wow looking nice, good luck and interested in the results. As far as cam I meant what was the thought process on the regrind from the bigger 250 @ 50 to the regrind 260 @ .50? Was it the bump in compression or just thought it needed more duration. I’m getting my 418 together and I have almost the same bullet hyd roller. It’s 256/261 at 50. 630 lift with my 1.65 rockers. But I am going to end up about 13.2:1 compression, on e85. I want to shift this thing 6600-6700 max so I think that cam should be about right but wondering if I should of had more duration

Wow looking nice, good luck and interested in the results. As far as cam I meant what was the thought process on the regrind from the bigger 250 @ 50 to the regrind 260 @ .50? Was it the bump in compression or just thought it needed more duration. I’m getting my 418 together and I have almost the same bullet hyd roller. It’s 256/261 at 50. 630 lift with my 1.65 rockers. But I am going to end up about 13.2:1 compression, on e85. I want to shift this thing 6600-6700 max so I think that cam should be about right but wondering if I should of had more duration

Gotcha. The first cam I got when I did the engine dyno was very small. It ran great and I hit my target numbers, but I left a lot on the table in terms of power. But back then, cam cores were in short supply and that was the biggest one Bullet had in stock without me waiting 6 months for a larger one.

So when I got the 2nd cam version which was 250, I instantly regretted it and had them make it even more aggressive since I was bumping the compression anyway. 260 was what we landed at. That was the most they could get out of it without having to jump to the next family size of core.

Ultimately I want to see what the Trick Flow heads and intake are capable of at the track. This was all an experiment to see how far I can take it while maintaining its "streetability." Which is kind of a joke now since this Scamp will eventually be my full-time race car. But it's been fun. For what it is, Trick Flow's stuff is awesome! But realistically I'll likely be selling this top end after next season and getting a set of Indy 360-1s, which I've had in the past and love very much.

Last edited:
-
Back