e85

-

gumper

Reaction score
I've been seriously considering switching to e85 for race fuel (mix my own, not pump garbage). Has anyone had any luck good or bad with this?

I see carb conversions are readily available for my 4150. I run a Holley black pump, 1/2" lines and pickup. My main problem is finding a distributor around my area (southwest Montana).

Been running E85 for two years now.....bought a Quick Fuel Tech E85 carb.....jetted it down a couple of numbers due to elevation ....outside of that nothing has change in fuel system from gas to e85...

same black fuel pump....1/2 braided line...

Bought 26 gallons last friday...3.65 a gallon right next to the 8.00 a gallon racing gas...

People over worry about e85 I am a courier and drive a non flex fuel dodge caravan 300 miles a day and have been running it on and off ( when it's worth it ) and have had no issues, I've done a lot of research and seems to me it's totally safe. Other than in winter cars don't want to start and mpg goes down. Our 2011 charger v6 seems like it's got much better take off when in running it

I'm not worried about the fuel system up to the carb. I assume the replacement metering blocks you can buy for a DIY conversion work fine, as I don't really want to buy another carb if my bigs one will work. The conversion is on the to-do list this summer as long as I can get access to ethanol. There are NO zero zip zilch gas stations in MT that sell e85, and only one VP dealer I know. May have to travel to idaho and buy a barrel.

besides the metering block...you are going to need .....alcohol friendly accelerator pump diaphragms, power valve...stainless steel needle and seats.....you will need to change the all the air bleeds...larger pump squirters and the hollow screws ....and even change from 30 cc pump to 50 cc pumps...

I was looking at buying the conversion kit at e85carbs.com

This will be my second season running e85 and I had my rear float bowls off the carb last night to up the jets, and there was some signs of gelling in the floor of the float bowl and on the metering block. The carb sat for the winter with next to no fuel in the carb. While I replaced the motor. I'm going to pull the front metering blocks off tonightand and make sure there's no signs of gel in the front float bowl.
Just alittle FYI but i don't think one can go wrong running e85 my valiant loves it....

Hopefully I get word back on what a barrel of fuel will cost me soon and I'll make the switch. Our tracks already got their orders for the season and they get enough barrels they don't have to pay shipping whereas I would have to. I'd like to get fuel in my possession before I buy the kit.

I've been running it for a little over a month now. my gas carb was so good that I just could not make myself convert it over, so I bought an e85 carb from a builder. it picked the car up a little less than a tenth of a second, but MAN O' MAN did it make the car an ET repeater! in my case it almost makes no difference what the weather station says, the car runs almost the same thing it did off the trailer all day and into the night.

I tuned mine on pump E85 that checked out at E83 with my tester. once I got the car where I was happy I took 2 plastic 55 gallon drums to the station. it checked E83 again so I filled the drums up and set them on 4x4's in the shop to keep them off the concrete. as long as you keep it sealed up it will be fine.

I put a half ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil per every 5 gallons of fuel. it may not need it, but thats just something that my carb guy suggested.

one other thing I do is pour whatever fuel I dont use at the track back into the drums when I get home. it may not matter but I think the drum is a tighter seal than a fuel jug.

I will tell you up front that you may won't to get 2 drums instead of one if you race a lot. Tony and Flyfish may be different, but if I go through a whole race to the end, I use about 7 or 8 gallons of fuel per race.

hope you can use some of the info.

I am lucky..I have two stations that have e85 not more then 2-3 miles from the house. Have checked the mixture several times and has been at e85 both times...I use 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs...and we do not have a humidity problem out here in the desert....

I usually figure the cars will burn about 1 gallon per pass....that includes driving to the lanes...and back down the return roads...

I pulled the front float bowls off and examined the metering block and there wasn't any signs of gelling. I'll have to fill the car up with gas at the end of the season and make a pull or two.

I will tell you up front that you may won't to get 2 drums instead of one if you race a lot. Tony and Flyfish may be different, but if I go through a whole race to the end, I use about 7 or 8 gallons of fuel per race.

hope you can use some of the info.

Mine is about the same, my car seems to burn about 1 gallon per pass, probably a little more when it is cool out due to having to warm the car up more.

hm,
what if you use e85 and use regular fuel lets say every 10th filling? does this make sense? Any changes required then on the carb?
How much is the fuel consumption increasing on street cars?

And what are the requirements at all to change the car? Tank, Fuel lines, Carb specific parts?

hm,
what if you use e85 and use regular fuel lets say every 10th filling? does this make sense? Any changes required then on the carb?
How much is the fuel consumption increasing on street cars?

And what are the requirements at all to change the car? Tank, Fuel lines, Carb specific parts?

To run E85 your carb and fuel system needs to be able to supply approximately 30% more fuel by volume.

that mean..the fuel pump...and fuel lines must be able to handle that additional volume.

the carb must be rejetted...idle circuits must be increased...larger needle and seats ....rubber line must be replaced...any rubber diaphrams in carb must be replaced with alcohol friend diaphrams...such as accelerator pump diaphrams....no paper fuel filters.

that is why most people either buy a new carb or have an existing carb converted to E85....you can buy a kit that contains everything from one of the guys who converts them...

Seems that I cannot find ethanol for less than $500 a barrel, and there's not places within hours of me that pump it (not that I'd trust pump e85 anyway). Looks like I'm on hold for now until I can find a fuel source.

We run e85 straight out of the pump...use the tester from QFT to occasionly test the mixture...has been right on 85% ever time.

so I would build an E85 carb besides the one for regular fuel. Electric fuel pump ( Carter ) I have since I'm running a 6.1 Hemi. Copper fuel lines a bit bigger can't be bad.

Any idea where to buy such a connversion kit for a 750 Holley?

Final question: Is the engine running better or worse? I mean in performance relation.
And what about consumption? Is it worth it at all? Here in germany is e85 half the price of 95oct fuel ( USD 2,1 approx. )

I'll have to make trips to Idaho to fill some drums of E85 out of a pump and see what happens.

I was looking at buying the conversion kit at e85carbs.com

I talk to Rob Mix from E85carbs all the time. I'll probably see him at the car show tonight. He is extremely knowledgeable and fun to talk to. I am buying my carb from him, but he will build yours as well. You should see some of his motors. He had a blown, dual carbed behemoth in Car Craft magazine that turned like 1309 hp. I heard it run at the Car Craft show and it was incredible. E85 is high on my list of things to do next.

Going to grab a few drums and get some fuel in Idaho this weekend. I thought maybe I should buy a whole new carb and keep my gas one on the shelf ready to go just in case there's problems. Any recommendations? I know Quick Fuel has some good ones, but I see Holley has some that look pretty trick now too. Also, I'm using a Bigs 750 jetted in the high 90s and still a little lean. Think an 850 would be a better bet with the e85?

We use QFT 950s...which are really 830s...on our 360s....

I've been seriously considering switching to e85 for race fuel (mix my own, not pump garbage). Has anyone had any luck good or bad with this?

I see carb conversions are readily available for my 4150. I run a Holley black pump, 1/2" lines and pickup. My main problem is finding a distributor around my area (southwest Montana).

Lucas makes a fuel system conditioner for e 85. You just. Add. To. Tank. It handles. All the e 85. Related problems

-
Back