Early Centerlink Late Idler/Pitman

-

360dartgts

Reaction score
Has anyone used an 68-72 centerlink with 73-76 idler and pitman arms? I want more header clearance and was wondering if this works?

If you must, and my memory is working correctly today a company named mr2 makes inserts or sleeves for easy no hammer centerlink removal.
Requires drilling and probably meant for track cars only?
They don't need tightened as tight to seat the taper and rely more on the nut and cotter pins to keep together. Set of 4 around 100. at that time.
Seen them at a indy swap meet many years ago. Might be worth checking out?
You may be able to use them to change the direction of the tapers?

Ask for Mike 765-483-9371.

Attachments

• HPIM1444.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 88
Ask for Mike 765-483-9371.

Cumon man, don't leave us like this. What is the deal, here?

hqdefault.jpg

Mike makes the bushings pictured for Hemi a bodies. Takes a stock center link and
drill's thru the tapers with a 3/4" bit. Installed the sleeves or bushings on the tapers and you have quick release steering links. Kit does all four holes on the centerlink.
A guy could swap the year centerlink if he wanted since the tapers are drilled out and no longer used to lock them in. Saw them about 10 years ago at the Indy mopar swap meet.

I don't know if the early and late center links measure the same or different between
Idler and pitman mounting holes or if it would affect the bump steer. Perhaps the steering arm on the lower ball joints would need the same reversal treatment to keep the geometry correct.
I'm sure these bushings were made available only to assist a quick easy teardown on a SSAH car using the correct centerlink. Not as a way to relocate it.
As far as using the bushings as a means to mismatch the early and late parts I only suggested them as a possibility that may be worth checking into due to his header clearance problems.
I have never needed to try it myself and definatly not trying to get someone killed here
by suggesting I have done this or have proven it works.
I just remembered seeing the bushings for sale and mentioned them as something he could look into. I am not a suspension or steering engineer. So take it for what its worth.
Not much.
I probably would try it on my own car after researching it a bit and it looked like it would solve a clearance problem. ??????????

-
Back