Early Motor mounts...

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A 66 dart 273, uses thick mounts. Can the later mounts be used instead? Need a little more hood clearance.
upload_2016-10-25_12-43-35.jpeg

Just the 'biscuit" part.

Yeah since the mounts are running at an angle, using thinner biscuits will require moving the mounting holes;much like milling the cylinder heads requires milling the intake.
But you better check the oilpan to steering clearance first;from lock to lock. And all other points as well; the C-link rises as the arms move towards the stops. Straight ahead is actually the maximum clearance .

Last edited:
The mounting holes on the K member are slotted, I might get away with that part. I was more concerned with clearance underneath . I will give it a go, why not!

Won't hurt (too much) to try... But pretty sure oil pan will be resting on center link...
Be sure to let us know though... ⚓

Won't hurt (too much) to try... But pretty sure oil pan will be resting on center link...
Be sure to let us know though... ⚓
I will, Half inch is huge on the top. If works will not have to "scoop" my hood.

Those are Schumacher conversion mounts that they designed to use the thinner biscuit insulators. If you need hood clearance, I've seen cars with the k-member spaced down.

Those are Schumacher conversion mounts that they designed to use the thinner biscuit insulators. If you need hood clearance, I've seen cars with the k-member spaced down.
A thought however it might raise alignment issues.

Yes. I did so to get more hood clearance for a Magnum beer-keg intake in my 65 Dart w/ 273. I had to hog out one hole and install them at a slight angle. But, the thin mounts caused K-frame interference with the Federal power steering pump I had to change to because of the later alum water pump I used, so I went back to the thick mounts. No issue w/ original TRW p.s. pump. You might need to lower the tranny mount to match (how?) and change the "pinion angle" of the rear differential to match your new engine driveline angle (otherwise driveline vibrations). If you have a radiator shroud, insure the fan won't interfere.

I had both at one time.. manual car. I went from "biscuits" to "ice cream sandwichs" and I had no clearance issues or vibes. Mounts sat fine, but the biscuit was the correct one, just N/A when I needed some.

manual steering, I can get pinion angle right, No shroud.

-
Back