Edelbrock Victor Series Race Cylinder Heads or Trick Flow cylinder heads

-
What kind of car style you trading to build? Drag racing, road racing, stop light to stop light? Auto or manual transmission? Gearing? What rear end is in the car? Tire size? Power or manual brakes?

As much as you don’t know what you want to build, the guys here will not be able to help you unless you set a goal of what and how you want to build your car by thinking about the above questions.

Just throwing money at it is not the solution to making a hot rod or more power.

You listen to music right? When the band members are in tune it sounds awesome right? What happens when the members are not in tune? It all sounds like ****... throwing money at ****, just makes it expensive powdered sugar covered ****... the car build should be planed like a well tuned band. You think race cars are build without a plan?

Proper planing prevents piss poor performance...

There is nothing wrong with a set of J heads, just sayin...

IMO, for a 390 street engine, a set of ProMaxx or TF heads would get used. Plenty of power can be made with those heads.
Yeah, but are the Victor heads better than the trick flows....not the ordinary edelbrock rpm heads
The which is better is a matter of goal.
The Victors flow more air but there cost is hefty and require special parts. Your pistons can cost a grand alone. The headers are close to that. The rocker gear needed is very pricey.

The Victor heads are designed for maximum output.

Have you checked to see if Edel & TF are available? So much is on B/O.

Personally, I would not spend a heap of money on alum heads for a 318.
Because when all the $$$$$$ have been spent it is still only 318 cubes.......
Money better spent on a stroker crank &/or bigger engine where you will definitely be able to feel the $$$$$ you have spent.

I get my information from a very good source. :D
Mad-yr-448...:rolleyes:...
I was talking from first-hand experience not a friend tell their friend told a friend that that would be the good thing to do and now I'm passing this information along on the Internet lol....

Just like we don't put $3,000 rims and tires on a $400 car or a $4,000 stereo in a $600 car we try and not put $3,000 heads on $150 motor...
If the idea is to build it over time and to build big street horsepower and leave what you have in there and start building it on the side from scratch. Get a block and get it to the machine shop and start buying parts for it... In the meantime start beefing up your rear end your driveline and your transmission to take what you're going to throw at it...
Or you can build it like a kid and make a massive motor that blows the tranny and then build the tranny that blows the driveline and then on to the rear end getting blown up and paying for a new one of those after the fact...

@Bewy He said he is stroking it to a 390. But I agree otherwise. Imagine the rpm needed to take advantage of a Victor on a small cube engine. (Bottom of the page cam selection…)

Just like we don't put $3,000 rims and tires on a $400 car or a $4,000 stereo in a $600 car we try and not put $3,000 heads on $150 motor...
If the idea is to build it over time and to build big street horsepower and leave what you have in there and start building it on the side from scratch. Get a block and get it to the machine shop and start buying parts for it... In the meantime start beefing up your rear end your driveline and your transmission to take what you're going to throw at it...
Or you can build it like a kid and make a massive motor that blows the tranny and then build the tranny that blows the driveline and then on to the rear end getting blown up and paying for a new one of those after the fact...

Those 5 buck stick on finder vents are worth 10HP and the big *** muffler is 25HP dontcha know... LoL. Almost forgot, the rear wing and giant *** back window sticker is worth 45HP. Why would not throwing 3k 30inch rims on my 600 beater make it better???

Well I would get a 360, but I rather just work on my 318 since I already have it in hand & try to get the most power out of it to make it a street performance car
I agree, guys working on a 318 and wants to build it. Everyone chimes in with the 360 talk. I get so tired of it. Hey if I have a 318 and WANTED A 360. THAT WOULD BE THE TITLE OF THE FORUM!

I agree, guys working on a 318 and wants to build it. Everyone chimes in with the 360 talk. I get so tired of it. Hey if I have a 318 and WANTED A 360. THAT WOULD BE THE TITLE OF THE FORUM!
Agreed. I try to champion and back the builders of the 273/318 as much as I can.

I got the same thing running a 383 for many years. lol Why not just get a 440.
I bypassed the 440 for a low deck 451. A much better engine than a 440. imo
I say to the guys running a 340, why not get a 383. lol :D

There’s allllllways someone running get a bigger engine thing all the time. It seems like running what you got is a bad thing for them.

Some of us just don’t have the money to throw away the engine we have in favor of the bigger is better thought process. 318’s can be cheap to free to get the Nate as of a $7-800 buck 330 block that will need a full work up and machining. And that’s if the block is actually a good block. $7-800 goes pretty far in performance parts.

Everyone can state the facts for a good argument on a bigger engine and call working on the smaller engine a waste of time and money. Your just not helping and need to take a long walk off of a short peer.

I was under the impression the victor sb heads are prone to many issues and stear clear of them.

Trickflow or Edelbrock rpm would be the safer bet.

I run the Indy 360-1s on my sb 418 but they love rpm. Street and high winding rpm don't go too well together.
W2 and w5 are basically Indy 360-1s. W5 has issues so stay away.
W2 are cast iron

That's my .02 and I am not a professional.

I was under the impression the victor sb heads are prone to many issues and stear clear of them.

Trickflow or Edelbrock rpm would be the safer bet.

I run the Indy 360-1s on my sb 418 but they love rpm. Street and high winding rpm don't go too well together.
W2 and w5 are basically Indy 360-1s. W5 has issues so stay away.
W2 are cast iron

That's my .02 and I am not a professional.

Just curious what you consider high rpm with your Indy 360-1 heads.

-
Back