Electric guitar...

-
When I dropped by, he was strumming on his new(to him) Washburn. What a beautiful sound. I took lessons decades ago, but I found it difficult to make chords. I should do it anyway, maybe the grandkids will pick it up.
Stress reliever for sure...
That's a good alternative to wasting time here! LOL..

Although I've owned this Baldwin guitar for 46 years, I can't hardly play a lick. It's been sitting in closets most of that time. My son went through it recently and presented it to me for Christmas this year. I still can't play it but I'll display it downstairs with the rest of "my junk".
R0R9BbY9uR2qEYA5bJ63x9eK1A=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned it but I sliced the hell out of my right hand index finger over the summer.
There's some scar tissue about 1/8 inch from the exact canter.

Last weekend I picked up my SG for about an hour. It's the first time since that injury.
Thankfully the pick sits just almost up against the scar, and doesn't affect playing.

Whew.

My BIL has decided he wants to learn to play again. Last time was a disaster.
I showed him the power chord again, how to move it and how to play it on open E and A
I asked that he spend 30 minutes a couple of times a week on that.
We'll see how that goes.

I also gave him a book that I originally bought for my wife.
It's the best book I've seen that has some more modern examples and also uses TAB as well as chord charts and "real" music notation.
That's kinda hard to find in a beginner's book.
It does however, go WAY out of the way NOT to show or discuss that "power chord" which is unfortunate.

I dog eared a few pages and suggested he concentrate and get comfortable with those areas first before moving to anything else.
Unfortunately he said several times he was going to read the whole book all the way through, and even repeated that when I tried to make clear that it would likely be too much to digest before actually trying to play anything simple (like 30 minutes practicing the power chord).
We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
I almost forgot-

My "brother" also called real excited with news that he bought a guitar.
Said it was an "Epiphone Gibson" that had "made in USA" on the back.

That kind of got me excited as I know there are high end Epi's that say something like "Made in USA by Gibson".

Turns out it's one of the cheapest beginner "bundle" models without even adjustable intonation.
Someone put a Gibson truss rod cover on it and the "made in USA" turned out to be "set up in USA" on a Chinese built guitar.

...and it had brand new strings that were only wound once around the tuning pegs.

I'd have happily gone used guitar shopping with him if he'd only asked first.

He thinks he got a great deal on it and I didn't have the heart to bust that bubble.
I did point out the "features" or lack thereof, and why they may be problematic moving forward.
...and also looked up the Chinese MFG per the S/N.

Last edited:
Well it's still early here in Oregon but I checked my tracking and after one hell of a ride it looks like it might be here today...
After 4 scans to get it going in Illinois it went to Ohio Montana and two places in Texas, then to Oklahoma back to the second place in Texas and then to New Mexico after that Utah, then late last night finally the easternmost part of Oregon and five more scans this morning to get it to say it's out for delivery on a truck today.... For a grand total of 19 scans... Needless to say I'm more than skeptical of its condition....
I wanted to go on world tour "WITH" the guitar... :lol:

That "Explorer" body style is one I don't have.

After 4 scans to get it going in Illinois it went to Ohio Montana and two places in Texas, then to Oklahoma back to the second place in Texas and then to New Mexico after that Utah, then late last night finally the easternmost part of Oregon and five more scans this morning to get it to say it's out for delivery on a truck today....
Lol, the "scenic" route. USPS here sometimes does that within the state.

I almost forgot-

My "brother" also called real excited with news that he bought a guitar.
Said it was an "Epiphone Gibson" that had "made in USA" on the back.

That kind of got me excited as I know there are high end Epi's that say something like "Made in USA by Gibson".

Turns out it's one of the cheapest beginner "bundle" models without even adjustable intonation.
Someone put a Gibson truss rod cover on it and the "made in USA" turned out to be "set up in USA" on a Chinese built guitar.

...and it had brand new strings that were only wound once around the tuning pegs.

I'd have happily gone used guitar shopping with him if he'd only asked first.

He thinks he got a great deal on it and I didn't have the heart to bust that bubble.
I did point out the "features" or lack thereof, and why they may be problematic moving forward.
...and also looked up the Chinese MFG per the S/N.
I have been ogling Les Pauls for a while now. No need for me to buy one except to look at. There are some nice ones out there.

"Real" LP's are too heavy and not balanced well for me.

These are juniors/specials and are thinner and lighter.

In "Jackson speak" I believe J par's new one is a "Kelly".

IMO it's hard to bead an MIJ Jackson for quality/price and play-ability.

"Real" LP's are too heavy and not balanced well for me.

These are juniors/specials and are thinner and lighter.

In "Jackson speak" I believe J par's new one is a "Kelly".

IMO it's hard to bead an MIJ Jackson for quality/price and play-ability.
I drug my feet on this one waiting for the price to go down. All of a sudden it dropped off Marketplace. I don't need a $1000 guitar. I could mess with a cheaper one to start. Hey, it is almost B5 blue. :thumbsup:

gibson dart.jpg

Studio in Carribbean Night.jpg2.jpg

@j par

Have you tried "Stayed Awake All Night"?

I can get about 2/3 of the lead on that one.

It's a fun one to play with 2 guitars, and you can ad lib a LOT over that rhythm.

One of my theme songs from my youth.

I love both the BTO and Krokus versions of that song. Obviously, for different sounds.

Morning All! I thought I'd ask this question on this thread, before starting my own. I have about 20 guitars of various types, and I'm curious if i move these to my insulated pole building (man cave/Bar) , if i'm risking warping, swelling, basically ruining them over time.

I'm in Ohio. The barn is fully spray foamed. I do have A/C in it, but i don't necessarily run it all summer. In the winter, it is kept around 60 degrees with a radiant heating system. I guess humidity of summer would be my concern. Any thoughts?

I could always throw the mexican strats, and the home made ones out there, and keep the gibsons/carvins in the house. just wondering if someone more "professional" than me in guitar knowledge had an opinion! thanks fellas!!!

Morning All! I thought I'd ask this question on this thread, before starting my own. I have about 20 guitars of various types, and I'm curious if i move these to my insulated pole building (man cave/Bar) , if i'm risking warping, swelling, basically ruining them over time.

I'm in Ohio. The barn is fully spray foamed. I do have A/C in it, but i don't necessarily run it all summer. In the winter, it is kept around 60 degrees with a radiant heating system. I guess humidity of summer would be my concern. Any thoughts?

I could always throw the mexican strats, and the home made ones out there, and keep the gibsons/carvins in the house. just wondering if someone more "professional" than me in guitar knowledge had an opinion! thanks fellas!!!
I would put the cheapest out there and keep the good ones in the house. Humidity changes mess with the wood more than temp.

You could build a humidity, temperature controlled display case.

This one is crazy for a sub $200 one. MIC but the price, quality, and sound is over the top.

-
Back