Electric guitar...

-
Dunlop blue "1.0" for me.

1670334606314.png

I used to use purple 1.2 but I found I have more control with the 1.0 and there's no sacrifice in rigidity.

I agree, having a thin pick flop around is maddening.

..but some people love it that way.

If I sell my old pickup I think I will check this one out. I sure like the color. May be get back into music again.

Screenshot_20221207_225244_Chrome.jpg

That's purdy.

I personally find "real" Les Pauls too heavy and awkwardly balanced.

I do have two Epi "Specials", though.....and an SG.

I find myself playing the SG a LOT.

That's purdy.

I personally find "real" Les Pauls too heavy and awkwardly balanced.

I do have two Epi "Specials", though.....and an SG.

I find myself playing the SG a LOT.
les pauls...I can appreciate them purely in a sense of the tone, something about the short scale and effortless pinch harmonics. I wouldnt play one all the time though I'm a Strat guy... Tele a close second.

One of the first songs I ever learned to play all the way through.

Of course, I'd give part of my anatomy to be able to play leads like George Lynch.
He was the only other guitarist besides Glenn Tipton, that you could almost hear sentence structure in the leads.
At least to my ears.

Was rejoin music on local radio talk show yesterday and I've been on a Dokken kick since.
I saw them twice in 84/85. First time opening for Judas Priest, then headlining with Accept.

Sadly there will likely never be a Dokken reunion.
WAY too much ego.
They were kind of forced together back in the day and never gelled.
A lot of great music came out of it, though.

EDIT- I just saw they put out an album in 2012!

Not sure why they seem to have fallen off the map, radio-wise.
I still hear same era Scorpions, and even Ratt on the radio, but I think I have heard ONE Dokken song in the last 15 years.
Back in the mid 80's they were a big deal with LOTS of airplay spanning at least 3-4 albums.
...and I guarantee you George was on way more guitar magazine covers than Mathias Jabs and Warren DeMartini combined.

Last edited:

Of course, I'd give part of my anatomy to be able to play leads like George Lynch.
He was the only other guitarist besides Glenn Tipton, that you could almost hear sentence structure in the leads.
At least to my ears.

Was rejoin music on local radio talk show yesterday and I've been on a Dokken kick since.
I saw them twice in 84/85. First time opening for Judas Priest, then headlining with Accept.

WAY too much ego.

I still hear same era Scorpions, and even Ratt on the radio, but I think I have heard ONE Dokken song in the last 15 years.
Back in the mid 80's they were a big deal with LOTS of airplay spanning at least 3-4 albums.
...and I guarantee you George was on way more guitar magazine covers than Mathias Jabs and Warren DeMartini combined.

I believe they are playing Penns peak In Pennsylvania in Feb Dokken , Lynch Mob and then Don and George do a set. I was just listening to them the other day no one sings like that any more...

At least to my ears.

WAY too much ego.

Just seen the scorpions last month... I was going closely when the guitar player did the two solos in the no One like you song which was actually one of the encores...
IMG_20221009_203201927.jpg

IMG_20221009_203353117.jpg

IMG_20221009_205513080.jpg

Seen Motley Crue a couple months ago and all was good inspiration!..
I've always wanted to see right and I know Stephen Percy with his cover band and Vince Neil planning a couple concerts but just too expensive and hard to get to right now...

I believe they are playing Penns peak In Pennsylvania in Feb Dokken , Lynch Mob and then Don and George do a set. I was just listening to them the other day no one sings like that any more...

I will have to see if they are coming here.

Wicked Sensation was a small radio hit, as was one of Don's songs.
Both had at least one good album as "hair metal" (which they weren't really) gave way to grunge.

There was some early internet trolling about how "sad and one dimensional" George had become, back in the early 00's.

Guitars can be a great investment as well. My bro bought a Rainsong carbon fiber acoustic years back and it's appreciated 4x already, if not more. Electrics too especially older used ones

ONE PA date, ONE MI date and a half dozen in CA.

Rats.

EDIT- date in Key West (10 hour plus drive) and a cruise out of Orlando. Kind of a big commitment, there.

ONE PA date, ONE MI date and a half dozen in CA.

Rats.

EDIT- date in Key West (10 hour plus drive) and a cruise out of Orlando. Kind of a big commitment, there.
Dayum, I had better get tickets I am 1 hour away from the Pa venue. Don is 70 I think maybe he isn't into the travel. George I think is 67-68 or so. I saw Pilson with foreigner last year i think it was..

Guitars can be a great investment as well. My bro bought a Rainsong carbon fiber acoustic years back and it's appreciated 4x already, if not more. Electrics too especially older used ones
I have a fender japan e series i bought in 1989. I paid $500 then, I could get that now for it easily. Even though $500 then vs now eh...its still a depreciation LOL!

I will have to see if they are coming here.

Wicked Sensation was a small radio hit, as was one of Don's songs.
Both had at least one good album as "hair metal" (which they weren't really) gave way to grunge.

There was some early internet trolling about how "sad and one dimensional" George had become, back in the early 00's.
George IMO is a musician. And the music business as he knows it is gone . I would imagine he was lost for a little while. I do not think he's broke, at least not what Id consider broke LOL! I remember seeing a news or documentary shoot with him in the 90s or early 200s. he was in his 40s and he was lifting weights and in shape. he said he has to fight off his daughters boyfriends LOL! George is and was very good guitar player he was like the second wave of Van Halen influenced guys or maybe he was first wave. LOL! there are a few guys out of the 80s and hes one of them. Jake e lee, Warren demartini, Zakk Wylde , George, but then Greg Howe, Paul Gilbert Yngwie Malmsteenetc. the list goes on if I really think about it. I would say randy Rhoades but I consider him late 70s like eddie van halen randy was in quiet riot.

Just seen the scorpions last month... I was going closely when the guitar player did the two solos in the no One like you song which was actually one of the encores...
View attachment 1716019820

View attachment 1716019821

View attachment 1716019822
Seen Motley Crue a couple months ago and all was good inspiration!..
I've always wanted to see right and I know Stephen Percy with his cover band and Vince Neil planning a couple concerts but just too expensive and hard to get to right now...
I saw Uli Jon Roth a few years back with my son. that was a good show if you are into 70s Scorpions.

Foreigner was awesome last time I saw them. Highly recommended. That singer is talented. I think Cheap Trick was there too. That guy had an entire closet full of guitars on stage with him

I have a fender japan e series i bought in 1989. I paid $500 then, I could get that now for it easily. Even though $500 then vs now eh...its still a depreciation LOL!
Yeah my guitars don't appreciate but I love them all the same. Bro's 60's Fender Jaguar: yikes! Could trade it for a motorcycle easy. He's always bought used locally. Online sellers hide all kinds of bs that's wrong with the axe

I started teaching my son on an acoustic, playing bluegrass. A lot of bluegrass lead work is directly related to rock lead guitar work, so once he learned the patterns, it was all about picking up the speed. One trick I taught him was to play in the dark, or with your eyes closed. Play very slow and methodical, making sure you play each note correctly. Then go around the pattern again a little faster each time until you start messing up, the fastest you can play without mistakes is the tempo you start at next time you practice.

here’s a guitar I bought about a year ago, just on a whim. It’s a 72 SG, one of the most effortless instruments to play that I’ve ever owned. I paid $1k for it, it’s worth about $3k.

View attachment 1715756757
Oh my, thats my sons favorite SG, I think he still has it, a very good buy at that price
If I sell my old pickup I think I will check this one out. I sure like the color. May be get back into music again.

View attachment 1716019697
Do it Toolman, its a good way to keep old timers from setting in, or at least exercise your mind a bunch, keep it near you or where you relax at, and it will be so enjoyable you can't wait to pick it up again, I like the the color, but that stone is a favorite of mine, I will try to spell it Terguose.. :lol:

Back in the late 80's and early 90's it seemed like everyone and their brother was a guitar player.

Yup, it was easy to be in a band and actually playing gigs back then . You may not have made much $$$ but it was a good time and all the girls knew you...:)

i had a band together from 2016 till COVID but we are oldrer so we only really played during the summer, outdoor gigs. Its funny the guys were older and it wsas like we were playing the

same old bar band songs from the 80s,90s...trying to do anything new with these guys was like pulling teeth. they were 15 years older than me(mid 60s) good musicians but a bunch of bitches

when it came time to actually work.

I needed some more inspiration so I finally got one of the guitars I've wanted.. was supposed to be here today and it might be here tomorrow we'll see..... Also I bought the cordless receiver/ transmitter from Amazon and that came today and work really good... It was kind of cool playing the guitar out in the living room and hearing the app in the back bedroom...

Screenshot_20230118-115518.png

Right outta the 80's right there J!
Buddy of mine has gotten bit by the guitar bug and has purchased about 6 or 8 the last few years.
Heres a couple of his
I needed some more inspiration so I finally got one of the guitars I've wanted.. was supposed to be here today and it might be here tomorrow we'll see..... Also I bought the cordless receiver/ transmitter from Amazon and that came today and work really good... It was kind of cool playing the guitar out in the living room and hearing the app in the back bedroom...

View attachment 1716039329

Washburn.jpg

Bucks.jpg

Right outta the 80's right there J!
Buddy of mine has gotten bit by the guitar bug and has purchased about 6 or 8 the last few years.
Heres a couple of his

View attachment 1716039332

View attachment 1716039333
I tried my best to hold off and just stay with my $200 guitar which is working fine but again I need a little more inspiration so I figured I might as well... I'm sure once I learn how to play there's going to be several more guitars in my future LOL... But I still think I have several more years before that happens...

When I dropped by, he was strumming on his new(to him) Washburn. What a beautiful sound. I took lessons decades ago, but I found it difficult to make chords. I should do it anyway, maybe the grandkids will pick it up.
Stress reliever for sure...
I tried my best to hold off and just stay with my $200 guitar which is working fine but again I need a little more inspiration so I figured I might as well... I'm sure once I learn how to play there's going to be several more guitars in my future LOL... But I still think I have several more years before that happens...

-
Back