Electric guitar...

-
Well I won't hit the disagree button here and start a stink, but I'm neither rich nor do I have used s*** LOL... Nor do I have a brand new truck... I can't afford a brand new truck and don't want to wait 8 years to pay for one cash.. if you look at my thread on restoration part of the Forum I do have a 74 that I'm doing a frame off restoration on $500 at a time in lieu of a brand new track. My plan is to put all the modern conveniences in it...
As far as the new good guitar goes I would much rather just wait a couple months and save my money and buy something... But I do have this keeping the horse in front of the carriage mindset where I'd like to learn how to play the two that I have more than a few string riffs before I go spending two three k on a new guitar...
Again please keep posting I'm not trying to start a stink like I said I'm just not into credit that much... Or or the in order to be an American you have to be in debt attitude that seems to plague society these days...
Agree, to many are enslaved to the Big Banks. And they don't see it.

Great tip!.. thanks...:thumbsup:..
On some pick-up types, you can adjust the pole pieces themselves.. you can also consider a brass nut, for more sustain and better harmonics. Or you could go " active" I put some in one of my Gibsons, took them out, put them in my Stratocaster, and still didn't like it. Another good deal is some Grover tuners....night and day

My dad sent me this today..
IMG_20210822_213140~2.jpg

My dad sent me this today..
View attachment 1715785283
Had MANY instances of the Locals causing issues. We lived on five acres, were informed they would find pot going on the property, if we didn't quit practicing, even though the distance to all was good in the County we lived in. I recall tpd coming to one of our practices in an insulated bedroom with a decibel meter... I recall Tampa Police Department walking into another house we rented for band practice, checking us out. Another house we owned we got a letter from the EPA for noise pollution... I could go on.....

OK.

That looks like a "First Act" guitar.

I got one of those for $5 at a thrift store.

Gonna use it to see if I can retro fit a Floyd Rose trem.

If I can, I'll do it to either my Charvel or my SG.

Love the vw knobs.

OK.

Love the vw knobs.
So I've done a bit of research on this guitar knowing I would finally see it. And yes it's what they would refer to as the $50 Walmart guitar for beginners. But it's told also that the first act Factory does put out some really good stuff. But they're also known for this cheap version as well. But this was a promotional guitar and some good stuff was put into it...
My aunt bought a 2006 Volkswagen and this came in the mail a week later..
On the back of the headstock is a plaque with the same VIN number as her volkswagen. Like the knobs having the VW emblem on them it also has the VW emblem on the 12th fret.. it has it on the bag and on the shoulder strap that's made out of a seatbelt... Of course as you can see the original box and the label on it that says peel this off and play it...
There's some pics and keychains and stuff as well that come with it...

OK.

Love the vw knobs.
I did that once, it required routing as I recessed it. I remember setting the bridge there, tracing it with a pencil, then routing it out. The thing to get correct is the scale length, if thats screwed up, intonating it will be impossible.

OK, that's kinda cool.

How does it play?

Honestly, I haven't played mine but maybe 15 minutes just to see if anything was horribly wrong with it.
was missing the high E when I bought it and haven't put a new on on yet.
probably just gonna strip it, lay out the dimensions on masking tape and drill and rout for that FR.

OK, that's kinda cool.

How does it play?

Honestly, I haven't played mine but maybe 15 minutes just to see if anything was horribly wrong with it.
was missing the high E when I bought it and haven't put a new on on yet.
probably just gonna strip it, lay out the dimensions on masking tape and rout for that FR.
It was a saga Strat kit, and it actually plays nice. I painted it like van halens black and white stripe VH 1 guitar, only difference is rosewood neck.

It was a saga Strat kit, and it actually plays nice. I painted it like van halens black and white stripe VH 1 guitar, only difference is rosewood neck.
Kits? I just saw this yesterday. For the price the components can't be top notch but it would be fun to finish and assemble and for a guy like me that only knows a handful of chords and plinks on the E string picking out melodies it might just work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V9GOMY/?tag=fabo03-20

upload_2021-8-26_7-30-3.png

Isn't basswood really light?

I've already got one neck-heavy guitar.

No fun and never play it.

Looks good hanging on the wall, though.

Man I love to play, but not overly dedicated anymore. Been playing for worship teams a few years. It’s a lot of fun and I still have much to learn. Very cool @Jpar, hope you stick with it! I’ve never met anyone who regrets a musical journey! Here’s the ones I play. I think it’s extremely important to pick one that inspires you to keep playing.

80BC32F5-C47F-4898-9CF9-744E4AA64A71.jpeg

558CD59B-095A-4069-9FD9-1EAD8E877173.jpeg

FCDE1C48-FBD6-416E-BE1D-9216D62A43E3.jpeg

D5F7908D-26D3-4F78-A7B9-E5262313B4D7.jpeg

Okay around two of guitar lessons. As I probably said I started some guitar lessons and wasn't happy where it was going or what was going on. It was just out of this book and ding donging along with the high E string. I can see where this would eventually become beneficial but the book came with online support and I didn't see where I would need a teacher for that part I don't need to be pushed I'm motivated...
Fast forward here to my 2 month anniversary and I'm feeling a tick more comfortable with the guitar in my hands. Not to say I'm doing really well I'm just a little more comfortable with the notion and with the feel...
Anyways I went to a local music store where the owner wasn't there this time but a younger guy that works there half the time when the owner isn't there and I seem to hit it off with him and I went ahead and paid for four lessons.. I start tomorrow so we'll see where this goes...
Still practicing everyday..

That’s great to hear JPar! Lessons really helped me out, but I think either way unlocks some cool stuff for anyone. I needed a roadmap, but I’m so ADD that it’s easy to go off and noodle to discover things as well.

That’s great to hear JPar! Lessons really helped me out, but I think either way unlocks some cool stuff for anyone. I needed a roadmap, but I’m so ADD that it’s easy to go off and noodle to discover things as well.
Yes just practicing the same seven or eight little rifs over and over again gets repetitive and boring. I need to unlock some more stuff..

I've been continuing lessons on Thursdays and this month added a couple Mondays as well..
Some lightbulbs are starting to turn on...
Learning all the major bar chords Sharp, flat, major, minor, and basically where they're at... It's a start..

I took 2 lessons from.2 different teachers. One, was Classical Guitar Teacher, the other was Todd Grubbs, a fairly well known Tampa area musician, who has his own Music school in Brandon these days. That was in 1990. They both said,, " there's not much I can teach you" Back then , we'd burn up cassettes to ear learn stuff. Im not sure if this has been mentioned.but a large wall poster chord chart is cool. If, anything, just to envision the fingerings, or for "experimentation".. if you wanna play lead, learn the scales and modes...

If you like the Good Ol Grateful Dead at all, they had a Europe 72 app. You could change the tempo and play along. Cycle through different guitar parts. I’m sure they have other bands apps by now. My tip is to learn the fretboard and try to use middle-pinky for first position chords, so when you move up the board the shapes aren’t like learning the same shapes all over again. And “overnight sensation “ would be a hard album to start trying to cover. Haha

Why do the music store people think that they are the rock stars??...
It was the same when my first wife worked at the record store..
Come in or call and there inner circle conversation is FAR more important than the customer..?..
I call to check availability on a guitar...
Ring..ring...ring... (No hello..).. yeah me and Fred will be down there too.. and we're going to do that thing we always do... Harold said he might come but he's not sure.... Blah blah blah and blah blah blah.... HELLO GUITAR CENTER...
SERIOUSLY!!..
No different when you go into the store..

-
Back