Engine cradle

-

furz4

Reaction score
I am wondering what everyone here is using to keep spare motors on besides engine stands. I am looking for something I can make or buy reasonable. Need something I can roll around. I have seen lots of cheep ones for small block chevy but seems like anything for a mopar small block is double the price.

When I got my engine home,I had some 2x4,s and some 6x6,s to set the engine down on.I guess I could,ve made a bottom with some wheels to move around,but nope I put it right back in the car.
car pics 66 Dart 139.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 139.jpg

Engdolly.jpg

I used to build them until people wanted them priced with the cheapass summit pile of craps. No thanks... 8)

Use a block as a jig for building one if you choose to use the engine mount/bellhousing ears as attachment points.

i have used one of those 4 wheel wooden furniture mover dolleys from Harbor Frieght with some additional blocking where needed. Throw a ratchet tie down across the top so it can be moved without fear of it falling off...

Cracked back is that 1" square tubing? I have thought about using the dooly and block thing or making out of wood also but l like the idea of being able to bolt it on.

Hughes, Mancini, and I believe Summit all sell them, or you could make your own. Mad Dart converted an engine stand so it could double as a stand or a dolly.

Brock Supply used to carry them also. They were adjustable for just about any kind of engine. Even works on a slant 6 although the engine sits at an angle. If they don't have a photo, let me know and I'll take one of mine which is similar.
Thanks, Mark

Here is the one I have. I'm sure it's no where as strong as crackedback's since it's just angle iron, but it does the job.

Engine with intake & carb.JPG

i got mine from mancini racing and it works great, its a little more than others but it is a solid one.

If going really low budget...... An old movers is doing it for Jake's 273....and an old shopping cart with the basket removed has held up well under a couple of 383's under the workbench........ A couple pieces of 2x4 lumber and you're good to go on both....

I have an old one where it has adjustable rails that go on either side of the oil pan. The phone number on it now refers you to a "gentleman's hotline" now. I would like to buy more like it if I can find some. You don't have to bolt the engine to it, just rest along the oil pan flange.

J C WHITNEY use to carry them looking like the ones pic above,,,i have one extened it years ago for a deep sump motor,, was thinking my self if they still have them to get another,,,

-
Back