Engine electrical questions

-

1964Barracuda

Reaction score
Trying to finish up the electrics for my ’64 Barracuda. Using a ‘74 360, 0.030 over, 9.0:1, mild cam, Offenhauser dual plane, 650 Holley dual pumper, 833A four speed, Spitfire headers, Mopar P3690426 electronic ignition kit. Street driver. Not a race car. I don’t want to go overboard with exotic parts.

Need recommendations for the following:

Spark plugs

Ignition coil

Spark plug wires

Electronic voltage regulator

Thanks in advance.

nothing exotic? Stock will work fine on your app. Your best bang for buck in that is a higher rated coil. How did those spitfires work on the 360 sized exhaust port?

If you want to use the newer electronic voltage regulator you will need to use the newer alternator.

Not aware of any dual pane Offy intakes. Do you mean dual port?
- spark plugs: use NGK 5 heat range
- plug leads: any heli core [ spiral wound ] lead, resistance is not important
- coil: no benefit from changing it. A lot of aftermarket coils like the MSD Blaster 1 & 2 junk advertise higher sec voltages. 45,000v sounds impressive, right. You are trading voltage for current & current [ heat ] is what ignites the A/F.

All of the stock stuff will work fine in each of those applications.

If you want to use the newer electronic voltage regulator you will need to use the newer alternator.
The regulator FBO (on ebay) was selling seems to work fine with the grrounded brush alternator.
The issue I'm seeing is the rebuilt alternators that draw too much field current. None of these regulators were made to handle 6 plus amps. JMHO

-
Back