Engine problem

-

tylerrogers94

Reaction score
My engine sounds like a piston is misfiring. It sputters and sounds like a knock when I am in drive. But when it's in neutral/park it runs just fine, no sputtering or nothing. I changed the spark plug wires and the spark plugs, I didn't change the distributor but I figured that wasn't the problem. If any body's knows what's up that be great thanks!

You're gonna have to be a lot more specific than that.

/6, smallblock, big block, 25 horse Kohler?

Compression check and or leak down. If a slant, might need valves adjusted. Run a backyard cylinder firing test. Ground each plug out one at a time. Each one should drop RPM and "sound the same" as you ground each.

Haha my fault your right Pistons do not misfire, it's also a slant six 225 3.7l, sorry it was late last night and I was running on no sleep!

Compression check and or leak down. If a slant, might need valves adjusted. Run a backyard cylinder firing test. Ground each plug out one at a time. Each one should drop RPM and "sound the same" as you ground each.

this is good info do these tests and tell us the results then we will have A good idea whats going on otherwise we are just guessing.

I'm thinking I might need a valve adjustment?
For sure since that is a standard tune-up task on a slant, indeed for any engine without hydraulic lifters (my M-B diesels). Some people get anal and adjust their valves twice a year. Every 50K miles might be the longest reasonable interval.

My engine sounds like a piston is misfiring. It sputters and sounds like a knock when I am in drive. But when it's in neutral/park it runs just fine, no sputtering or nothing. I changed the spark plug wires and the spark plugs, I didn't change the distributor but I figured that wasn't the problem. If any body's knows what's up that be great thanks!

if this happened after you changed your plugs and cables you probbably have the cables mixed up when you put them back 1-5-3-6-2-4

It's a 73 duster 225 3.7l. Also I did a compression test today on the first cylinder and it wasn't pushing any compression. Took of the valve cover and the first 2 rocker arms are loose, they move side to side but the rest don't. Is their a way I can adjust them so they are not as loose? I can also hear the leak coming from that valve, so it's getting out of their somehow

Btw the engine does turn over and run, I made sure the plugs are in the right spot, so that isn't the issue. I also changed the dis. Cap, as well as the rotor.

I know I'm frustrating with the lack of info. sometimes that is my fault!

Lack of compression in that cylinder indicates a mechanical problem. Most likely a valve train problem, do the rockers appear tp be broken (compare to others)? Have you timed your engine before? Place the engine at top dead center cylinder number one firing, both valves should be loose, you can measure the clearance with a feeler guage, the measurement for clearance I think is .008, you can google that to be sure. if the measurement is too loose (wide) check the adjustment screw see if it is stripped out, you may need to replace the adjusting assembly. If the adjustment is correct and you have a compression leak from the valve it is probably burned and nothing short of cylinder head removal will fix it. I hope this helps you, good luck!

-
Back