Engine stand rating

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
Good morning!

I am about to pull and rebuild an LA360: a half ton engine stand should be good enough, correct?

Thanks folks!

Get a 4 leg stand not a 3 leg one as they tip over too easy.

Thanks! Good to know. So this one should be good, yeah? Right now it's a steal on Facebook. :)

Screenshot_20221120-101134.png

I like to cut a 2"x4" to the right length to prop under the unsupported end for the extra security. Especially if it is sitting on the stand for awhile.

i used a 4 legged hf one the other day and it rolls good. you would not believe how it rolls. pittsburg branded one.

i used a 4 legged hf one the other day and it rolls good. you would not believe how it rolls. pittsburg branded one.
Well, it turns out that's a clearance item now and there are none anywhere close to me. There are definitely other similar options though. Thanks!

I have the 2K pound capacity four leg folding one from Harbor Freight. I've had a fully assembled 331 Hemi, big block chevy and big block Chrysler on it. I believe it will hold a bunch, but 2000 pounds......I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to be around it. It's still pretty heavy duty though, plus they are on clearance right now.

I bought a secondary engine stand at Harbor Freight because I was tired of building them. There was no way I would have used there 1000 pound stand, so I ended up buying the 2000 pound model which I consider the bare minimum. An extra hundred dollars now can save you thousands of dollars later, as well as, possible serious injuries. Not a place to cut corners on at all.

Tom

When I rebuilt my MGB engine (4cyl) I bought a HF stand, it came apart which I liked as space is tight
When I rebuilt my 383 and attempted to use that stand, I can assure you that stand, its a complete piece of garbage.
I welded the entire stand solid and added gussets everywhere....... I wouldn't use it on any V8 or even a 6 cylinder engine the way it comes out of the box
and btw the other day due to the lousy half clip used to secure a wheel, unknown to me a wheel fell off which if I had a engine on the stand could be bad news

I got tired of engines "bouncing" on the stand and the feeling that they are going to come over into my lap. The market is the $200 stands that then jump to the $3000 stands. I bit the bullet and bought some 5", 1/4" wall box tube and am in the process of building one. I can guarantee there won't be any bounce with that.

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to know. So this one should be good, yeah? Right now it's a steal on Facebook. :)

View attachment 1716013006
Cannot see, but I bet there is no triangular brace from the upright to the bottom horizontal. If you were to add one, that one might be a lot stronger. ALL of the weight is on that small channel and bolts at the bottom of the upright

Weld some triangle gussets and I even put a scissor jack on the end to support the pan rail once the pan is off. Bolt it on and you can adjust it as you turn the motor. Buddy had a Lincoln V12 on a huge engine stand. Had a geared rotator. Rock solid but probably $3K

-
Back