Engine Stands?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
I am just curious what kind of engine stands you guys are using?

I have a old LA360 motor I want to build for my Dart.
So I will need a engine stand that will be strong enough for a v8's weight.

Whats the best bang for the buck?

I have heard to stay away from the 3 wheeled stands. Most say the 4 wheeled ones are more stable.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a three wheeler. Never had a problem in 18 years with it falling over. The only dicey situations I have experienced are when moving over large gaps between concrete slabs, such as the lip going from a driveway into a garage. At some point all of the weight is supported by the front wheel of the stand and the person on the back while the dual rear wheels are being lifted over the slab. At that point, things are quite unstable.

IMO, if the front wheels of a 4 wheeler aren't spread out as far as the rear wheels, you aren't much better off than my 3 wheeler. That's my 2¢ worth.

The four wheel is best if the cost fits your budget, but if the 3 wheel is cheaper and you are only gonna use it once or twice they work, I have used both. Regardless of which I still have to push the motor up to a work bench/wall with it sideways to torque head bolts. And use some grade 8 bolts to hold the engine up.

I have the 1,000 4 wheeled stand from harbor frieght around $60.00.You can use all 4 bolt arms if you get a bolt and nut and run it thru the hole where the oil filter is.Then just put the other three thru the threaded hole they line up with.The 273-340 wieghs 525 lbs and the 360 wieghs 550lbs so you could get by with a 750 stand.

I have a 4 wheel Cornwell stand that I bought at a pawn shop for $50.00. It's heavy duty and you can rotate a slant six 360 degrees on it with no tipping.

I bought this one on Craigslist for $50. I'm pretty sure it would hold a tank engine okay!!

enginestand001Medium.jpg

I bought a torin 1000lb four wheeled stand from amazon for $73 shipped and i wouldnt buy another. It holds the weight just fine but on the back wheel where it slides over the rod they didnt weld it very good. It had maybe a 1/4" of weld that was usable out of probably a 3" weld. I had to grind it off just to get the wheel on then re weld it and re paint it.

I don't know how much you are going to use a engine stand but I don't use one much at all. When I rebuilt the engine in my car I bought the cheapest stand I could find (3 leg). These stand are bad about sagging. However I cut a 2" x 4" and place it between the engine water pump area and the floor. This kept it from sagging. I would work on the engine and after calling it a night I would install the board. I didn't need a expensive engine stand.

-
Back