Engine won't crank with key, but will if I jump the relay

-
Here's my starter relay wiring

20160906_090249.jpg

G terminal on the SRW.....run a wire to ground....that is all...

it will crank in any gear with that bypass

Update....engine starts now

Wiggled the bulk head connectors. ..all brand new...but it started after that.
Wiggled them again. ..no start...wiggled again and starting...very disturbing!

All new harnesses. ..should not be doing this...now I don't trust it.

Thank you all for the help!
Seriously. ..I really appreciate you guys.

Now I'll look into what up at my brand new bulk head connectors....

Jeff

Update....engine starts now

Wiggled the bulk head connectors. ..all brand new...but it started after that.
Wiggled them again. ..no start...wiggled again and starting...very disturbing!

All new harnesses. ..should not be doing this...now I don't trust it.

Thank you all for the help!
Seriously. ..I really appreciate you guys.

Now I'll look into what up at my brand new bulk head connectors....

Jeff

check the individual connectors to see if they have pushed out a little when you connect them...

Will do.....any paticular wire I should check in this paticular circut?

Jeff

Check all cavities that you can... You never know which one may not have enough engagement and let the connectors push out the back while you are trying to connect them... You don't know how good the aftermarket repop tooling is...

The NSS wire doesn't go through the bulkhead into the interior, it goes from the switch to the brown wire with yellow tracer on the starter relay that I circled in red...

You may want to check the wiring diagram and see what connector that yellow wire goes into, I think it's the middle connector for the bulkhead, but I'm not sure what cavity off the top of my head...

20160906_090249 b.jpg

Check all cavities that you can... You never know which one may not have enough engagement and let the connectors push out the back while you are trying to connect them... You don't know how good the aftermarket repop tooling is...

The NSS wire doesn't go through the bulkhead into the interior, it goes from the switch to the brown wire with yellow tracer on the starter relay that I circled in red...

You may want to check the wiring diagram and see what connector that yellow wire goes into, I think it's the middle connector for the bulkhead, but I'm not sure what cavity off the top of my head...

View attachment 1714965840
Thank you!

Jeff

I have a loose cavity on one of my engine harness connectors, so what I'm going to try to do is to take it apart and get the fitting into the connector as far as I can (Like it should be), then use some clear RTV silocone to back fill the cavity... When it sets up, it should keep that connector from pushing out... Then I will reconnect it after the silicone dries...

I have a loose cavity on one of my engine harness connectors, so what I'm going to try to do is to take it apart and get the fitting into the connector as far as I can (Like it should be), then use some clear RTV silocone to back fill the cavity... When it sets up, it should keep that connector from pushing out...
That sounds like it would work. ....I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Jeff

Just a suggestion......
buy something like this Mopar A B E Body Cuda Automatic Transmission Neutral Safety Switch Wire
or maybe a member here would have one for cheap cheap. It's best to have the NSS right and not be jumping wires on a street car. just my humble opinion....

He's working on a 68 Barracuda which should have the single wire NSS... The link is for the three wire... Unless it's been updated to the three wire NSS...

I would caution any one on the cheap harnesses.

Eddie bought an electronic ignition conversion wire harness new from Jegs for his Dart and it was bad... Took us two days to finally find it as we kept assuming it was good because it was new.... Replaced it with a MP one and it started right up....

Coincidentally he also had a new NSS that turned out to be bad... Replaced it with a MP one and it started right up.... Again.... :BangHead:

WTF is wrong with the quality of aftermarket parts now days???? :icon_fU:

Test everything before using it.... :poke:

Not sure what NSS he has, I know his engine isn't original, I don't know about the tranny, but I guess I was suggesting it's easy and cheap to hook it up right.

It's a 3 pin NSS on a 727.....

Which harness would that be on?
The wiper harness? Because doesn't the wiper harness also have the reverse light wires?

Jeff

The wiper harness? Because doesn't the wiper harness also have the reverse light wires?

Jeff
I've not found a difference from 904 to 727's. Only difference is the years will change the NSS on the tranny. However, I've unscrewed the NSS's from the tranny and swapped to get the right one that fit the electrical connection. Just my experiences.

I've not found a difference from 904 to 727's. Only difference is the years will change the NSS on the tranny. However, I've unscrewed the NSS's from the tranny and swapped to get the right one that fit the electrical connection. Just my experiences.

Have you been able to swap a single wire NSS into a trans that originally had a three wire or vice versa???

I saw somewhere that you may not be able to do that because of internal differences with the "rooster" bracket inside the trans...

I've never rebuilt a trans, so I'm not familiar with the internals...

Jeff

Yes, there is a two way connector that you use to connect the two wires for the reverse lights to the bulkhead connector for the wiper harness...

The center wire for the NSS goes to the Brown wire with the yellow tracer/stripe that connects to the starter relay, and doesn't pass through the bulkhead...

Have you been able to swap a single wire NSS into a trans that originally had a three wire or vice versa???

I saw somewhere that you may not be able to do that because of internal differences with the "rooster" bracket inside the trans...

I've never rebuilt a trans, so I'm not familiar with the internals...
No, I've never tried that. Somebody here will know for sure. I've never rebuilt a tranny either.... just swapped them, and changed converters, and tranny fluid and everything else... lol

No, I've never tried that. Somebody here will know for sure. I've never rebuilt a tranny either.... just swapped them, and changed converters, and tranny fluid and everything else... lol

You were right about him having the three wire NSS... 68 should have the single wire NSS stock, so his must have been modified/upgraded...

You were right about him having the three wire NSS... 68 should have the single wire NSS stock, so his must have been modified/upgraded...
.....or a complete different tranny, and perhaps the reason he didn't have a NSS wiring harness to begin with, and why he has run into a little difficulty with the new wiring he bought and hooked up to the bulk head.
These type of modifications lead to the frustrations Jeff is having :(

.....or a complete different tranny, and perhaps the reason he didn't have a NSS wiring harness to begin with, and why he has run into a little difficulty with the new wiring he bought and hooked up to the bulk head.
These type of modifications lead to the frustrations Jeff is having :(
That must be the problem. ....
And the car was originally a slant-6.....not much original left about this car.....

Jeff

Hey you two, we're putting the 318 together for my son's 72 Challenger...

Teen power!!!!!

Just a street cruiser. We're mixing and matching parts to tweak it...

I'm thinking of doing a thread on the engine assy in the resto forum...

I know you two are fans of 318's...

That must be the problem. ....
And the car was originally a slant-6.....not much original left about this car.....

Jeff

Teen power!!!!!

Do it.... :D
I am a fan of the 318, but actually I'm a fan of all small block mopars. the old big blocks too :) I just don't like all the "frowning" the teener gets.

Teen power!!!!!

Just a street cruiser. We're mixing and matching parts to tweak it...

Sweet....I'll be watching for it!

Oh...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY 'CUDA!
49 today!

Jeff

-
Back