Erson Cams Quality Discussion

-
No offense, but an ebay store ain't gonna do it for me.
Erson - I'll wait for the website. If you don't mind my "perfect scenario" - I would like to have access to the lobe selections. I run a lot of fast rate .875 (Ford) lobes to keep the spring pressures reasonable (street engines) and maintain the area under the curve. The "special mopar lobe" tag line doesn't apply so having the lobes let's me choose more accurately. I also like duration at .200 and valve event timing at .050" figures.

I have a new Erson slant cam I got from you guys had the special offer to slant six.org members. One of these days I'll start on that build. lol

Erson - I'll wait for the website. If you don't mind my "perfect scenario" - I would like to have access to the lobe selections. I run a lot of fast rate .875 (Ford) lobes to keep the spring pressures reasonable (street engines) and maintain the area under the curve. The "special mopar lobe" tag line doesn't apply so having the lobes let's me choose more accurately. I also like duration at .200 and valve event timing at .050" figures.

Yep and Yep.

just posted ebay store so someone can see what cams are available......LOL

Do ya'll still have slant six grinds?

Yes, we still have all of our slant six grinds and will be glad to custom grind you one. All you need to do is contact Eric. If you want to PM me I'll be glad to give you the 1-800 number and his extension so that you can place your order. If you will give me your address I'll be glad to send you a catalog.

For anyone looking for Erson profiles, PM us and we will be glad to send you a list of all of our profile specs. If you're looking for specific flat tappet or roller profiles, we can send you just the specific lobe you're looking for. If we can assist you in any other way, please let us know.

Ok, you said that you wanted some feedback.

I bought my 340 Formula S and it was rebuilt with an Erson cam in it. I ended up replacing the cam with a MP 484-284 cam. I was much happier with the MP cam.

I later tried that same Erson cam in a 318 with a 4 bbl and dual exhaust. It was even worse in that engine. I ended up changing to another cam.

In my opinion, when compared to other cams, the Erson had more "advertised duration" than other cams with the same duration @ .050". I felt with all of the extra duration between the advertised and @ .050, there was too much overlap and it hurt performance too much. (ramp speed too slow)

Not trying to bash you, just give some honest feedback from my experience.

Ok, you said that you wanted some feedback.

I bought my 340 Formula S and it was rebuilt with an Erson cam in it. I ended up replacing the cam with a MP 484-284 cam. I was much happier with the MP cam.

I later tried that same Erson cam in a 318 with a 4 bbl and dual exhaust. It was even worse in that engine. I ended up changing to another cam.

In my opinion, when compared to other cams, the Erson had more "advertised duration" than other cams with the same duration @ .050". I felt with all of the extra duration between the advertised and @ .050, there was too much overlap and it hurt performance too much. (ramp speed too slow)

Not trying to bash you, just give some honest feedback from my experience.

We appreciate your honest response. We have some new profiles now that have much more aggressive ramp speeds so that advertised duration and duration at .50 are much closer together, giving the cams less overlap and more overall torque. Most of Sig Erson's original profiles do have less aggressive ramp speeds, which makes them more valve train friendly. We understand as the market changes with more aggressive profiles we've have to come up with more aggressive profiles to keep up. We're striving to make positive changes in our profiles to make the horse power hungry customers happy. If there's anything we can do for you in the future, we'd appreciate another chance to show you what we can do today. Thanks for your feedback.
-Russ

We appreciate your honest response. We have some new profiles now that have much more aggressive ramp speeds so that advertised duration and duration at .50 are much closer together, giving the cams less overlap and more overall torque. Most of Sig Erson's original profiles do have less aggressive ramp speeds, which makes them more valve train friendly. We understand as the market changes with more aggressive profiles we've have to come up with more aggressive profiles to keep up. We're striving to make positive changes in our profiles to make the horse power hungry customers happy. If there's anything we can do for you in the future, we'd appreciate another chance to show you what we can do today. Thanks for your feedback.
-Russ

Ok good info.

Yes, that cam was from 1988 and I think it had around 304° 'advertised' duration and I believe around 235° @ .050.

Yes, I do realize that slower ramp speeds make valve train last longer.

In Sig's day, the valve spring technology wasn't what it is today, and since modern valve springs can handle much more aggressive profiles, we're trying to advance with modern ramp speeds and lobe profiles. If anyone else has had a similar experience, we welcome the opportunity to show you the quality and craftsmanship of a custom Erson cam today.

Hey. I just finished a 408 for my Demon. I had my engine builder spec my cam for me. He got me an Erson E430996. It is a hydraulic roller. Spec's out at 5.10 lift, 234-242@050. I have not run it yet. I kinda feel like I left something on the table. I was looking for lift in the mid 500's. How will this cam run? 3200lb Demon. 3500 stall converter , Indy/RHS heads done by IMM. 4.10 gear. Airgap intake, AED 850 carb. Thanks, Tom.

Hey. I just finished a 408 for my Demon. I had my engine builder spec my cam for me. He got me an Erson E430996. It is a hydraulic roller. Spec's out at 5.10 lift, 234-242@050. I have not run it yet. I kinda feel like I left something on the table. I was looking for lift in the mid 500's. How will this cam run? 3200lb Demon. 3500 stall converter , Indy/RHS heads done by IMM. 4.10 gear. Airgap intake, AED 850 carb. Thanks, Tom.

Without knowing what your lobe sep is, and how much advance your builder degreed into it, it's hard for me to answer. With the duration in the cam and the air gap intake, depending on how well the heads are worked, the motor should pull up to 6500 pretty well. Not knowing what the lobe sep is, it's tough to say what type of torque curve the motor will have because the lobe sep will determine the overlap. The little bit of lift that you don't have that you wanted is not going to make a big difference. The valve spends such little time at peak lift it doesn't make a big difference as much as the ramp speed and duration will. The valve runs through both duration cycles opening and closing and only hits peak lift once. If i can help you in any other way please let me know.
-Russ

I bought an Erson hydraulic cam for my 410 SB. I was told it would work great with my 3.23 gears. They gound it 4 degrees advanced with 104 lobe centers. 232/237 @ .050 and .520 lift. It works great. They are in Mound House, NV near Carson City. I'll check and see if they are still at that location.

I bought an Erson hydraulic cam for my 410 SB. I was told it would work great with my 3.23 gears. They gound it 4 degrees advanced with 104 lobe centers. 232/237 @ .050 and .520 lift. It works great. They are in Mound House, NV near Carson City. I'll check and see if they are still at that location.

Glad to hear you were happy with your cam. We're now in Louisville, KY and our production times are much faster than they were in Mound House. If there's any way we can help you with anything, let us know. Thanks for your patronage and loyalty to Erson.

Sorry about that. The sheet says intake center line-106.

Depending on where your engine builder actually degreed the cam in your engine, if he put it on a 102 intake centerline, it should come to life and run like a bear. Sure, a little more lift would have worked with the cylinder heads better, but it would've been much harder on your valve train if you're looking for durability. The cam you've got should be great. Please let us know when you get it running how you like it. We welcome all feedback.
Thanks
-Russ

Do you have cams for boosted applications. Doing a 400 B Single turbo @ 16 psi. 8.2 comp ratio Torquer intake, 750 Speed Demon Blow through. Intercooled with meth 3.23 Gears 3200lb car with 3 Link rear.

my 73 Duster is has old Erson cam in it...something like 204/208 114 lsa 0429/.441 lift....stocker...needed something to pass smog a few years ago...

also got a Erson solid lifter that custom ground for a 408 stroker that is still in the box...machine ship in carson city that ported the heads ordered the cam shaft...based on .875 lifters....those heads and parts are still in boxes...someday

As is said earlier I had 1 bad cam from Erson it was for a slant 6 and when I got the new cam it degreed right in. This car is a street car and it run in a slant 6 class it went from a mid 16s to a 14.99 car without any changes other than a timing change so it worked greats. The other cam I used was in a 454 Chevy engine I built for a guy that traveled down from Philly he wanted 550-600 HP in a street car no drag racing at all so with a cam with 540 lift & some were around 320 duration he made 562 HP and 488 ft lbs of torque after I took off the junk springs that he had on the heads we wanted to use and replacing them with the Erson recommended springs the engine rpmed another 400 rpm's and the HP went up 32 HP and the torque when you 22 lbs of torque so almost 600 HP and 500 ft lbs or torque on pump gas. I think Erson delivers great power for a fair price.

do you have any erson camfather stickers. you know the one with the cigar hanging out of the camfathers mouth. I got one with all my erson cams in the 70's early 80's.
I'm looking forward to using some of the new grinds. you can't go wrong with the right erson cam for your combo.

Do you have cams for boosted applications. Doing a 400 B Single turbo @ 16 psi. 8.2 comp ratio Torquer intake, 750 Speed Demon Blow through. Intercooled with meth 3.23 Gears 3200lb car with 3 Link rear.

Yes, we do cams for super charged engines. Be glad to grind you one. If you PM me I can get you in contact with Eric Bolander, our technical consultant. He can help you to select the correct profiles to fit your application.

-
Back