Exhaust blues, need advice----

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
My build is HP 273 with stock exhaust manifolds. 1967 Notch Barracuda with 904. I took it to an exhaust shop for a dual exhaust setup on my stock manifolds and after two days of trying, the shop gave up and I brought the car home, out nothing from the shop but $180 for the car hauler both ways. He said it was the tightest bend job he has ever seen. I hear that TTI or perhaps Accurate may make headpipes for my application, I need 2" back to transmission crossmember prox. I need advice on what to do. look for another shop or try to source commercial ones. All input appreciated, TIA----------------DR--------------???

TTi Exhaust Component Parts Part# A25EP

Sucks, cause if you had asked the question before, for $8 plus shipping you could have these in your hands right now.
Great info there! I don"t think they had all those parts available when I ordered the Accurate LTD hp single set up. (which I like very well)

I am interested in opinions about remoting my oil filter. I currently have a 90 degree adaptor on the block with a short oil filter on it pointed straight up. I can remove the filter for service but it does not seem correct to me.
DR--------------

The 90* Oil filter is to have the filter pointing back towards the firewall slightly pointed downwards.

You can add the remote oil filter adapter to it or remove it and out the remote oil filter adapter to the block.

The kits are available with various lengths of hose to locate the filter where ever you may want it.

I would seriously suggest that you use a dremelmor die grinder with the correct bit for aluminum to port the inside of the remote filter base and at the other end where the filter gets mounted to. The as cast parts have simple drilled passages that have 90* turns. Smoothing out the insides for smoother flow and a slight opening of the narrow connecting points is encouraged.

The kits normally come with simple straight screw in barbed fittings which may or may not be OK for your engine compartment area and filter location.

I have done two relocation kits.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quadcab "LA" based V6
Permacool oil filter relocation kit.
Oil filter under the passenger front door.
I used small electrical cable hold downs to secure the oil lines to the frame to prevent them from moving around and rubbing anything and away from moving parts.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
1979 Dodge Magnum, 360/727
Summitracing brand remote oil filter kit.
Plenty of room between the header and hose. I know it looks close. The striaght ends off the block adapter should be changed out for 45* bends facing upwards to the rear at a 45* angle so the hose doesn't run into the frame.
I solved this problem with a rectangle plate attached to the hoses to prevent rubbing of the hose on the frame.

The area is tight so I ran the filter to where it is pictured. I do want to move it again else where.

I like the Summitracing kit better than the above Permacool kit.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Your welcome. Any questions?
I'll try an answer them.
Sorry, I'm I can not find the pictures of the ported work I did on the aluminum housings.

I just ordered my weatherhead proportioning valve rebuild kit. Had a bit of a BF drip from the valve after my disc conversion. Plenty of pedal but the drip is irritating and cannot stand!
I turned the existing filter per your instructions and it looks good. I was thinking about remoting the filter to get some room for the exhaust header pipe after my muffler shop fiasco. I will call TTI in the morning, got my casting numbers off my manifolds:)
DR-----

A competent exhaust shop should have been able to do your exhaust. I am surprised you didn't use 340 HP manifolds on your car as they would flow a lot better than the 273 manifolds. Maybe Eberg or Yakima would have more experienced shops.

Dual exhaust on a 67 model a-body never has been simple. That trans support member isn't designed for 2 pipes passing. That single left to right fuel tank strap is in the path too. End to end issues.
Good luck with it.

Mine is even worse because of the Gearvendors OD and the fact that I had to lower the Transmission crossmember 1" to accomodate the GV install. Thanks for the luck, I will post photos if I ever get there------------DR

There is no question that it gets tight in the area you speak of for exhaust. Yes a good shop can moan and groan and build the head pipes, but it is a pain, with a majority of them coming out like a Frankenstein project. You are doing the right thing by buying a nice set of head pipes.

Also check with Accurate Exh. They have head pipes that might be more economical.

Well thanks to everyone for chiming in! I just ordered a complete deluxe system from Accurate Exh. LLC. Talked to their engineering folks and they put my mind at ease that I will be getting the correct material for a dual exhaust setup for my 67 273. The system will ship today and I will be installing it this weekend if there is any justice on the planet.
Mighty happy about this my friends------:) DR------------------

I unpacked my new Accurate exhaust system yesterday and the first thing I check is the head pipe fit to my stock exhaust manifolds, particularly the passenger side. Both head pipes fit like Swiss watch parts. I know they never made factory dual exhaust for a 67 Barracuda but these folks seem to have done it better than factory and all bolt on. I will post photos this weekend as I install the system. If it fits & installs like it looks I will post more information about how to acquire said system. They also have direct replacement for the 67 Hi-po single system.
DR--------------------:)

Accurate has the best fitting systems. I have one that I bought in 2001 I think, and it fit perfect. Even today there is no rust on
the pipes.

-
Back