Exhaust Manifold Hardware

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone confirm for me that the conical washers belong only on the front & rear manifold runners. The center runners just use flat washers with the bolts.

Is this correct for 318 exhaust manifolds ?

Can someone confirm for me that the conical washers belong only on the front & rear manifold runners. The center runners just use flat washers with the bolts.

Is this correct for 318 exhaust manifolds ?

You should use the conical washers on all the "thin" ears. The bolt holes that are thick only require a regular "hardened" flat washer.

treblig

:thumbup: Thanks for the reply Treblig. Just what I was thinking & wanted to confirm.

You explained it much better....Appreciate the help!

How about "all studs get conical washers..." as most LA heads came with outboard studs to keep the water in the jackets when the manifolds were off.

How about "all studs get conical washers..." as most LA heads came with outboard studs to keep the water in the jackets when the manifolds were off.

You can install conical washers on every bolt and stud if you like. The only small problem is that the conical washers are not always available or you might only have 6 or 7 of them. From everything I've read the conical washers "spread" the load over a larger area reducing the chances of "breaking off" a manifold ear. A bolt without a conical washer puts all the torque and pressure just under the head of the bolt in the center of the cast iron hole as opposed to around the hole in a circle away from the hole. I also think that the conical washer allows the manifold to expand/contract (heat expansion/cooling) because these special washers only make contact on their perimeter. If you examine a conical washer real close you'll see that they only make contact in a very small area (along the outer edge). The manifold holes that are thick should also have flat washer (hardened) so that the bolt doesn't dig into the manifold which would keep it from expanding and contracting. But Mopar does use the conical washers on all the bolts/studs as far as I know, even on the more modern Jeep engines.
Some of this is theory, I'm sure the Mopar engineers had a good reason for using the conical washer.

I keep the conical washers in stock in case anyone who buys my manifolds needs any. Since they don't add any weight to the shipping box the shipping on the washers is almost nothing.

Treblig

They used the conical washers on all 5/16 exhaust fasteners. The small shank is more prone to stretch than the 3/8s fasteners, and the conical washer acts as a spring to limit expansion stretch.

-
Back