Fake Money Used to Purchase Classic Car

-
I stopped at a bank in Ridgeway, VA about 20 years. Walked up to the outside ATM and got $100. I counted it as soon as it was dispensed. One of the $20 bills looked slightly off in color so I went inside the bank and asked to swap it so someone wouldn't think I was trying to pass a counterfeit bill. She looked at it, asked me to wait, showed it to another lady. Lots of whispering going on behind there. One asked the other "So you can clearly see him getting it from the ATM?". The answer was "Yes".
This whole time I started to worry that I may be suspected. But they reviewed the footage from the ATM camera. Then I heard one of them say "We are going to have to review our ATM procedures".
She handed me another $20 and I was on my way. After that, anytime I used an ATM, I would always hold up the money in front of the camera and fan it out so it could been seen clearly before leaving... just in case.
carter bank and trust in ridgeway,..most them around here closed over the covid pandimic...lest on the nc side of the line anyways...

I’d like to add to this conversation some tools that are essential nowadays. The Dri-Mark pen swipes a yellow mark, if it stays yellow or turns clear the paper is legit. If it turns brown or gray it’s suspect. Then there is a light on the pen to check for the safety strip and you can read the denomination. It must be noted $1 have no safety strip. Second, thieves are “washing” $5-10-20’s and turning them into $100’s.

The counterfeit detector has a light also that shows the safety strips but educates folks on the placement of the strips and shows the color of each denomination. Frankly important things I did not know.

It’s good to have a second person checking and counting while paperwork is being completed. If someone is in a rush then send them packing.

This scam, passed along by the op was unfortunately set up with many distractions. Best case scenario is if insurance covers the agreed value amount. Hopefully that covers it.

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

IMG_5172.jpeg

My son sold an old Honda 4 cyl recently. We were able to buy a marker that turns colors to detect real or fake. We checked every bill to make sure it was legit. Those markers to detect fake money can be bought at Staples, Walmart etc.

My son sold an old Honda 4 cyl recently. We were able to buy a marker that turns colors to detect real or fake. We checked every bill to make sure it was legit. Those markers to detect fake money can be bought at Staples, Walmart etc.
These fake bills passed the pen test at the bank.

This VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
“The money was banded in one $10,000 and $2,000 bundles.” Hunter added. “Every time I tried to count it he would distract me and I wasn’t wearing my glasses so I didn’t notice the money was counterfeit. He was good at what he was doing.”

When in reality, dealing with that amount of "cash" you had better have your **** together.

I sold one of my Harleys recently for almost 14k cash. I had someone else there with me counting the money while the buyer and I were going over the bike.

-
Back