Fastest Street Cars In Your Town, 'Back In The Day'

-
sometimes the fastest cars weren't the best races. I loved racing 6 cylinders! A super six Volare against a 230 chevy, or a 170 Fairlane, lots of time to see whose gaining, and lots of time to make up a fender length.

Was a kid in Allentown, Pa Mikey P. 69 camaro BB half green half white with a gold stripe diagonally down the side of it. Was suppose to be the baddest thing around. Countless fast cars use to cruise " The Circuit" downtown. The real action was in Pottstown on High St. It was like Van Nuts on the east coast! Lots of nasty cars in that area!

Glad this thread got resurrected . As I said, while there were a TON of great street cars in my area, to get specific, IIRC, one of the best in Flushing (Queens)N.Y. had to be Tony Russo's L-88 Corvette. Larry Chin's '66 Impala from Jamaica N.Y. was a real sleeper and John D'Andrea's from Whitestone 401 Gremlin was a consistent street racer that blew everyone's mind. As I said, too many to mention.
Me? My '71 tubed & caged sbc Pinto C/G car was just another one of the bunch........

A Detroit Legend...

Not alot of street drags in my neighborhood but at my school, there was my buddies 6.6l T/A that was pretty fast, but when I got my 340 '65 A I beat him! Claims he wasnt racing but he sure did leave hard. He had a 383 Super Bee before that with a 3500 stall that he said was way faster than his T/A but I didnt remember it. I also regularly beat a 340 Duster in my neighborhood.

I was a kid and my uncles would run some heavy iron in the 70's. These two guys were brothers( my moms brothers) one would run Fords, 59 fairlane, 61 galaxie, 63 Galaxie, and the other would run GM, 68 GTO, 67 Camaro, but the one car that my GM uncle had that was badass was a 68 Dodge Coronet R/T 440 automatic. He used to say if he just touched the gas pulling out the wheels would spin. This was in Pottstown area, I grew up there and remember well the cruising in the early/mid 80's. I remember when the bypass was still closed at Limerick, and the real serious guys would go out there to run. Light to light just got ya busted :)

Bill Stepp had a duster he ran on the street. Fairly certain it was his drag car repainted.

-
Back