Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
After nearly 8 years I don’t remember how these horns and this bracket go back on the car!
lol
DCB40BD9-C981-4727-8EFA-95D817AEC04B.jpeg

Last edited:
I am still waiting for adhesive to dry on one trouble spot of my stainless trim, so I took care of some stuff I’ve been putting off. Found out the horns go under the battery. All installed now and sounding good! Bad pic but they are under there.
59378123-61B8-453C-BD97-E99743D309CC.jpeg

My HEI module is hidden under my coil braket. Originally wanted to put it inside a hollowed out ignition box, but I opted to have it closer to the distributor. I decided to put the ignition box and ballast resistor back into the car just because. I made a fake little wiring harness that connects the resistor to the ignition box, but goes nowhere else and it has no live circuits in it, but the components are there none the less.
BB9592FB-82CC-4BB5-996D-E8EB27DF76C8.jpeg

Still have not gotten caps for the AC lines but managed to get the inner fender braces bolted in along with the vacuum reservoir. Still need to run the washer lines but go the tank in and pump wired up.
62AA99DE-3C6B-43D4-99F3-83D40879D97E.jpeg

Also got the factory style spark plug wire looms on the valve covers and measured up some brackets for an aluminum radiator overflow tank I found.
6BBFCD11-FC5D-4704-9B1A-E8B2864C4CA6.jpeg

View attachment 1715172891

4D7661DD-78AF-4ED3-B8A0-C9894622586D.jpeg

View attachment 1715172891

View attachment 1715172892

What are all the wires next to the washer bottle?
The engine harness was mostly intact when I got the car. I decided to run Flamethrower HEI pretty early on in the planning of the project. I left all of the circuits intact in the harness and made most of the required changes to run HEI right there by the ignition box. I picked up the blue and brown start and run circuits right there and sent them over to the HEI Module. From the module the distributor pickup is wired direct and a short jumpers go from the coil to the module. I then used one of the harnesses unused ignition leads to send the negative side of the coil back over to the terminal block to connect to the tachometer pickup. Only thing I needed to disconnect was the Mopar ignition connector from the harness, which I would have had to do if I stayed stock ignition because it was crushed and mis-shapen anyway.
I think it looks clean and my ignition mod is totally reversible...

Went for cruise with my son last night.
Can ran great. Parked down by the beach and had some guys ask to check out under the hood. On the way home it started to run rough at lower RPM. Got home and discovered to PCV valve was broken at the base. Gotta fix that up later today after work...
86D73108-69E7-44F1-B9D3-3BEBA0448631.jpeg
732C4DE8-AAD1-48E4-B4D1-C51A63DB602A.jpeg

Also found this V8 fan shroud for sale on facetube. It’s from a 73 Swinger. I have never seen a factory shroud for my car so I’m wondering what the big offset is all about?

Last edited:
Motor is not centered in the car.
There is also two different sizes 22” and 26” radiators

Put in a new PCV and she roaring like a lion again. My list of small stuff just keeps getting longer. That’s cool because I love working on this car. Here are a few more pics from my escapades this past week.

ABC0DEF4-A83C-4D76-BB59-44D56235C752.jpeg

B7E96144-B30C-430E-8FBC-049F40766F3F.jpeg

Last edited:
That Duster really stands out in the crowd......bet you get a ton of "thumbs up"

No wipers?

That Duster really stands out in the crowd......bet you get a ton of "thumbs up"

No wipers?

No wipers?

rebuilding the pivots was one of the first things we did many moons ago. Put them on Friday evening. Still fussing with the stainless here and there so I left the arms off till now...

F35139EB-5143-481D-929D-026919FACF15.jpeg

I know they're never done but I wish I was as close to done as you. When you get to where you have to search to find things, you're there. Glad your son is enjoying the journey too!

I know they're never done but I wish I was as close to done as you. When you get to where you have to search to find things, you're there. Glad your son is enjoying the journey too!
LMAO. When you have to search you are done!
As a drivable car, I consider it 'substantial completion'. Say 'it's done' out loud and **** starts blowing up and falling apart!

So back to the fan and shroud. I think I'm going to buy that shroud and an OEM metal fan. What happens if I don't run a fan clutch? Should I have one?

The clutch fan is for saving the maximum possible HP. It can also create fitment issues because it protrudes from the engine a bit further.

I have what I believe is the same shroud on a stock 26" rad from the AC car which I'm sure yours is. I have a 5 blade clutch fan from an 88 Dodge pick up with a 318 and it cools really well. You can likely pick the same fan and clutch at a wrecker for pretty cheap.

Cley

In prep for the new suspension I’ll need to get the bushing shells out of a second set of LCAs I have. It looks to me that it’s easiest to weld something to the bushing shell to extract it rather than hack and whack at it with a chisel...

Buy the tool from Mancini racing, in and out easy, less than a 5 minute job.

It’s just a correct puller for the job, basically a screw extracted.
I have also heard of people using tap to remove them, there is a thread on here on how it works, and the tap size.

-
Back