Finally figured it out!! Prototype underway!!

-
Found it....lol

Attachments

• 0208A.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 580
There is nothing for these dinsaurs that cannot already be bought. Maybe you can make it cheaper, or easier, or prettier, but you're still looking to bank on a shrinking market that daily loses enthusiasts and subject matter. I wish you the best - especially in the shop idea. I had that dream but things didn't work out for me. My advice would be to don't waste a lot of money on product development for a dying breed. Move to FL and start dropping oil & filters.

You can make public disclosure if you do not disclose what art is novel that you will be placing in your claims and description on your patent. Also, after a year or 18 months (can't remember) your filing becomes public even if its still pending. Good luck, you going to need about $20k to $50 to file with an attorney plus maintenance (i.e. ongoing patent office fees to keep you patent issued, if granted). Then there is the cost of foreign filings. Oh and if the patent office thinks your invention is BS, they will ask for a functioning prototype.

Remember one thing, just because you have a patent does not mean you'll make any money. There is a business side to product development.

So, is it a gasoline vapor delivery system?

Lol y'all crack me up. That's all I will say. I had a big paragraph, but decided to erase it bc it really doesn't matter... I would never ask anyone for some stupid donation, or for a partner to help with it... I work much faster and better alone. But its OK... Go a head and knock the little guy... " And you wonder and complain about all the junk from China.. Hmmmm". But just don't forget.. You wouldn't have any part on your engine without that guy that thought of something in that one horse town..

i just think theres no point in telling anyone until you're ready to sell it, whatever it is... also whats the point in giving us 10% off? what are we giving you? sorry but i dont see your angle on making this thread, other than an attempt to draw interest by letting peoples imaginations run wild for a product people may very well have no interest in otherwise, not trying to knock the little guy, just saying maybe wait until youre ready to market your product before you bring a bunch of attention to it

I looked into patent things I`ve built, once discovering lawyers should be involved, and costs, I gave up the idea of patening anything I`ve invented.
If you build a prototype and is shown to someone from what I understand it is public knowlage and therefor unpatenable?
Everything I`ve come up with is to aid/make my job easier.
Alot of guys would come up and say, man you need to patent that and sell em. yeah right.
A non mechanical guy can just draw an Idea with a description of what it does, 50 years ago, and he has the rights to it. Maybe I`m wrong?
I wish the OP luck though.:)

:coffee2: Sign me up as....subscribed.....and waiting patiently.

I'm so old school it's not funny. Not likely any newfangled widget is gonna earn my business. But you've piqued my curiosity anyway, so....subscribed.

Matt,

I have designed animatronics and I can tell you that patenting anything that is basic mechanical design is not easy. Your best bet is to first do extensive searchs for existing patents that might relate to your idea. By your revealing that it is timing based we all are going to assume it is not spark timing related. So that leaves cam timing and we all know the sophistication that exists in modern engines. So if your idea is to provide variable valve timing for our good old pushrod motors then that could be interesting. But be careful to examine all existing patents on variable valve timing, because they might already cover your idea.

Matt you better get your butt busy cause you are way behind on filling your orders
and we don't even know what it is

I feel the need to relate a true story that happened in my life time. In the mid 70's I went to work for a large shop in Tampa Fl. While I worked there and met some of the customers, I became interested in this one particular gentleman that I was told had lifetime free repairs and general maintenance on his vehicles. When I inquired as to why I was told that he had landed a large contract with the shop owner to repair all the vehicles in the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Department. I also leaned that he was making royalty's from Lucky Strike Cigarettes for selling them the slogan "Be Happy go Lucky". He later came up with the bright idea to run several ads in different magazines and news papers that read "Send me a dollar and receive the surprise of a lifetime!" Well the surprise was you got nothing! The story was he collected over 250K and had to spend 50K of it over several years in legal fees. Bottom line he was 200k richer.
Bottom line? All you need is a gimmick!

OK guys.. Your right I can tell you what it is, bc the way its made and how it works is a design that isn't developed. And I will keep that to myself..

It is progressive variable cam timing.
Just think about the cam profile's you could run. And the power band you could have... Anyone interested now?

I love a train wreck, subscribed

reverse_polarity.jpg

OK guys.. Your right I can tell you what it is, bc the way its made and how it works is a design that isn't developed. And I will keep that to myself..

Just think about the cam profile's you could run. And the power band you could have... Anyone interested now?

VVT goes back over 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

/thread

I looked into patent things I`ve built, once discovering lawyers should be involved, and costs, I gave up the idea of patening anything I`ve invented.
If you build a prototype and is shown to someone from what I understand it is public knowlage and therefor unpatenable?
Everything I`ve come up with is to aid/make my job easier.
Alot of guys would come up and say, man you need to patent that and sell em. yeah right.
A non mechanical guy can just draw an Idea with a description of what it does, 50 years ago, and he has the rights to it. Maybe I`m wrong?
I wish the OP luck though.:)

Patent trolls have ruined innovation in the US

Awesome. I'll just take the VVT off my Acura and bolt in onto my Cuda. Sorry to steal your idea so quickly but that's how it goes when you don't have a patent. :D

See, don't you feel better for telling us and letting us shoot it down? That's why were here. Were a free think tank designed to keep each other from wasting time and money on crazy ideas. Especially one's that have been around for 100 years. :D

Back to the drawing board eh? :banghead:

Matt,

Just keep in mind that you need to search all existing patents on VVT carefully. Some you may find offer alternate means to achieve the process and your idea may be included. The other thing I have found is that sometimes the actual design is not feasible from a reliability standpoint. The stresses involved are very high in the valvetrain and becasue of this you are likely better off just keeping this design to yourself and build your prototype to test first.

Awesome. I'll just take the VVT off my Acura and bolt in onto my Cuda. Sorry to steal your idea so quickly but that's how it goes when you don't have a patent. :D

See, don't you feel better for telling us and letting us shoot it down? That's why were here. Were a free think tank designed to keep each other from wasting time and money on crazy ideas. Especially one's that have been around for 100 years. :D

Back to the drawing board eh? :banghead:

Yep the new FABO Motto " Proudly Crapping on any Idea Our Members Have "

I say go for it, if your proto works better than anything else out there, and even if you have to pay out the yang royalties, you could still possibly become a rich man.
I`d also hate to see a good man get eaten alive/lose everything to laywers or corperate greed.:happy1:

Yep been around for a while.. But tell me someone's hood you can open with a 340 or a 360 that has it? And one that doesn't need block modification???

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbaDZPrl_0"]Variable valve timing through cam phasing explained - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the basic concept of cam phasing which I believe Matt is considering. Of course this relates to a dual cam engine.

Control can be hydraulic or electric.

Yep been around for a while.. But tell me someone's hood you can open with a 340 or a 360 that has it? And one that doesn't need block modification???

Go for it Matt.
Those who try and fail can at least say "I tried". Those who don't try, can only presume they were right! Somebody invented the wheel, then it got converted to become many things. Just because it's out there doesn't mean it can't be improved or adapted.

-
Back