Finally figured it out!! Prototype underway!!

-
Well that video was interesting for a stock valve spring engine. I wonder what the loads expressed by stiff high lift valve springs would have on the variable timing system as far as the amount of pressure required to keep the cam in the proper phasing??

treblig

Well that video was interesting for a stock valve spring engine. I wonder what the loads expressed by stiff high lift valve springs would have on the variable timing system as far as the amount of pressure required to keep the cam in the proper phasing??

treblig

I am fairly certain that is not a big factor. Keep in mind that in general the actual spring load is distrubuted on the cam by the various valves at different angles of actuation. Also hydraulic allows no compression. If electic, I would suspect that stepper motors are used which are extremely good at holding a position under high pressure.

treblig

That's not a issue. Not really that hard to over come VS pressures with hydraulic or electric

You identified the idea as cam timing. Cam phasing is variable cam timing.

Well I guess we will just have to wait to see how your prototype works.

Look forward to seeing it.

I am very familiar with cam phasers . I have dealt with probably 100 of them over the years.. I wasn't saying that's not what I was talking about. You was saying that that was probably what I was considering.
I said "nope that's not it" by saying that is not the design nor the way I'm doing it. I can see how my answer could have been confusing and sounded that way. I took it as you saying that's probably how I was doing it

Any idea how long it might be before you get to unvail the actual product?

Most people do get there ideas from others like it and figure a way to adapt and modify them... That's why most fail in doing it, bc you take something that is built specifically for something and make it work on something else that it wasn't designed for.

I didn't get my idea from seeing anything. And I am not using or copying anything to make it either... Every part of it is from scratch. Honestly I wasnt even thing about variable valve timing when I came up with the idea. I was in the shower lol. Then I graphed it out and designed it. Figured the specs and now in the process of building it. Its nothing like your probably thinking bc most of the time when something is mentioned you think of what you seen or know of what was said. But this is new. Not old design, not current design or modification or based off anything else.

I am very familiar with cam phasers . I have dealt with probably 100 of them over the years.. I wasn't saying that's not what I was talking about. You was saying that that was probably what I was considering.
I said "nope that's not it" by saying that is not the design nor the way I'm doing it. I can see how my answer could have been confusing and sounded that way. I took it as you saying that's probably how I was doing it

Matt,

I offered the video as an example of cam phasing. There are all kinds of ways to alter the cam position relative to it's drive, which is cam phasing. You yourself claim to have seen 100. Again the issue is uniqueness. Are the means you intend to employ unique?
If you have done your due delligence on patent searches and know that your design is indeed unique, then you should pay some attention to this area as well. Mechanical design patents can be challenging, but they can pay off as well.

Any idea how long it might be before you get to unvail the actual product?

Just as soon as I get it finished (sometime this year, idk yet. I work all the time) and dyno tested on one of my engines I will post pictures of the completed product and dyno results with & w/o it.

I will have to do endurance testing on it way before I will market it. Both on engine and on a test machine that I will build to run it on also.

Matt,

I offered the video as an example of cam phasing. There are all kinds of ways to alter the cam position relative to it's drive, which is cam phasing. You yourself claim to have seen 100. Again the issue is uniqueness. Are the means you intend to employ unique?
If you have done your due delligence on patent searches and know that your design is indeed unique, then you should pay some attention to this area as well. Mechanical design patents can be challenging, but they can pay off as well.

I knew what you meant after that last message.. I think we just misunderstood each other. I by no means meant it to sound argumentative.

Ya, the 100 I sad is prob a low figure. I wasn't exaggerating. Alot of your newer engines with timing chains have them, hell just between Nissan's crappy 1.8's,2.5's and 3.5's I've prob done at least 30 either from broken t-chain guides, bad tensinors, or doing head gasket jobs. And they all have them. I wasn't saying that to be smart.... Just the truth lol, guess it did sound like a bs number , but wasn't

But, yes to being unique. Ever aspect "besides being vvt" about it is unique.... I mean, just there being a way to give a 360 vvt is unique in its own. I'm not trying to redesign the vvt system. Just make one for older Mopar engines.

Matt,

So you meant you have seen 100 + engines with VVT. Not 100 + different designs. I should also add that in general most VVT is showing up in multi cam engines. The reason being that this allows overlap changes which we will not have available with our single cam engines.

We all know that retarding and or advancing a cam index will move the power band and response over the usuable RPM range of any engine. So while you may not have the flexibility that VVT offers with multi cam engines, hopefully dyno tests will offer improved drivability and streetability for more radical cams and or offer a bit more top end power for milder cams.

Matt,

So you meant you have seen 100 + engines with VVT. Not 100 + different designs. I should also add that in general most VVT is showing up in multi cam engines. The reason being that this allows overlap changes which we will not have available with our single cam engines.

We all know that retarding and or advancing a cam index will move the power band and response over the usuable RPM range of any engine. So while you may not have the flexibility that VVT offers with multi cam engines, hopefully dyno tests will offer improved drivability and streetability for more radical cams and or offer a bit more top end power for milder cams.

Yes to the first part ^^^ . said that basically meaning I had to deal with them (work on engines with them and dealing with them directly, ie.. Unloading the cam phaser or resetting the phaser during engine work) a lot and understand there operation. And have had to repair vvt problems on them itself.. (Usually dirt or carbon buildup or permatex!!). No didn't mean I have seen 100 styles

And yes on the 2nd part. Designing this to Be able to make the power band wider. Basically by being able to keep the cylinder pressure up in the lower RPM for max TQ and still be able have the high rpm HP on a race engine. So higher rpm hp trade off you normally have when degree for bottom end would still be there... Basically having best of both worlds at the same time.
No more sacrificing .
And like you said about mild street cams, it would allow nice street manners but pull top end like a cam that would normally be more radical at idle

I'm no camshaft designer by no means and I might be totally wrong here, but possibly having this might allow a different cam grind than normal and be able to produce more HP and TQ all together..... Just a thought

Oh and don't forget the fuel mileage increase this could give on stock to slightly modified engines for are daily drivers

because someone already did lt....lol ...i'll Subscribe!

That turbine differential was the exact thing I was trying to look up. Has anyone ever heard of one being run? Or was it in the same camp as the Aussie "Negative Supercharging" cam/header system...? (bunk?)

Nope not bc a push rod engine.. Read ^^^ again why I said it was unique. Unless a GM LS engine is an older Mopar engine ......... And mine is more versatile than that "Government Motors" crap.

Sure, subscribed. Some of the discussion in this thread reminds me of this (read forward from there). It was a discussion about the "OmniValve", being marketed as the "PowreValvez". More info here and here.

Nope not bc a push rod engine.. Read ^^^ again why I said it was unique. Unless a GM LS engine is an older Mopar engine ......... And mine is more versatile than that "Government Motors" crap.

Matt,

A pushrod motor is a pushrod motor. Ford, Chrysler, GM. Not sure why you feel the need to diss GM. As far as versatile? Good. But cam phasing has limits. You can only retard and or advance a cam so much. In general so far from my research, 20 degrees total is about it. Now that may relate to twin cams where the advantage of overlap comes into play which might indicate a total of 40 degrees, but I would question degreeing a single cam that much.

One design I came across I can see being applied to our engines For some of us that have had loose timing chains it is obvious. A slighlty longer timing chain and two tensioners. The tensioners are mounted on a sliding bar that when moved left and right would either retard or advance the cam. I am not sure but I think it was a Chryler design to boot.

Anyway. Good luck with your prototype. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Use one of these to phase the cam.
So at wot, we can yell, BALLS TO THE WALL!!!
:tongue3:
dang, site wont let me load pics anymore..
picture a flyball actuator. lol

Attachments

• 2.bmp
    20.9 KB · Views: 359
-
Back