Finally getting an early A-Body

-
Thanks for the encouraging words guys, it means alot to know you have all been there. Most of my problem is due to self induced impatience.

Patience Grasshopper! :clock:

:-D I used to be the same as you when I was younger. I always had to have a vehicle ready for....... (insert appropriate deadline). After doing this for way too many years, I realized that my blood pressure, patience level, and frustration level were all maxed out to the Nth degree. Not good at all. And the closer I got to my self-imposed deadline, the more things I screwed up or broke, and the more 9/16" wrenches that went flying off into the night, never to be seen again. Then AFTER I'd met my deadline, I usually had to go back and re-do the things I'd hurried through and not gotten just right the first time.
Now I work on my car when I have the time and inclination, and I don't have a set deadline to have it finished. Much more relaxing and enjoyable work than before. Plus I get to spend a lot more relaxed time with the wife......she has a much nicer tailpipe than the Vart. :toothy10:

I don't miss stock car racing one bit,having to fix stuff on a weekly basis and not having time to enjoy other thing's in life and not having time to play with my lil' a bodies,having to plan weekends around racing had gotten to the point of no fun.this is much better being able to do projects as I gather parts and being able to do stuff with the family on the weekends,It is taking some getting used to but the roses smell pretty good when you take the time for them.I miss the old day's of fixing the cars up as I drove them but I do like the results of sticking with one project at a time just 50 or 60 lil' project's is more like it but each one get's it's turn,keep up the good work you guy's that lil' car will be sweet in no time flat,and hopefully you guy's are enjoying what your doin with em!!!
Patience Grasshopper! :clock:

:-D I used to be the same as you when I was younger. I always had to have a vehicle ready for....... (insert appropriate deadline). After doing this for way too many years, I realized that my blood pressure, patience level, and frustration level were all maxed out to the Nth degree. Not good at all. And the closer I got to my self-imposed deadline, the more things I screwed up or broke, and the more 9/16" wrenches that went flying off into the night, never to be seen again. Then AFTER I'd met my deadline, I usually had to go back and re-do the things I'd hurried through and not gotten just right the first time.
Now I work on my car when I have the time and inclination, and I don't have a set deadline to have it finished. Much more relaxing and enjoyable work than before. Plus I get to spend a lot more relaxed time with the wife......she has a much nicer tailpipe than the Vart. :toothy10:

I don't miss stock car racing one bit,having to fix stuff on a weekly basis and not having time to enjoy other thing's in life and not having time to play with my lil' a bodies,having to plan weekends around racing had gotten to the point of no fun.this is much better being able to do projects as I gather parts and being able to do stuff with the family on the weekends,It is taking some getting used to but the roses smell pretty good when you take the time for them.I miss the old day's of fixing the cars up as I drove them but I do like the results of sticking with one project at a time just 50 or 60 lil' project's is more like it but each one get's it's turn,keep up the good work you guy's that lil' car will be sweet in no time flat,and hopefully you guy's are enjoying what your doin with em!!!

Only 50 or 60 projects??? LOL!!! Sounds like you've rounded up about half of the lil' old A bodies there in sunny Florida!!! For sure most all of the waggins!! I'm looking at getting me a waggin myself, it's a 65 Valiant!! What do you think?? It supposedly runs and drives but has been sitting for about a year. It came to Michigan by way of Cali about a year ago. The price is $500.00. If you send me your email waggin, i'll send you a couple pics of it for your scrutiny. Now, back to you Tony!!! Geof

I keep a journal on my website to help keep focus. It hasn't helped as much as I have hoped, but it does get me in gear when I notice the length of time between updates. A check list never hurts either. Just remember to keep at it. I had planned to have my fish on the road 4 years ago. I just moved the date to 2011. :)

This is a shot of my frumpy dash as it looked. I think a change is for sure just what I don;t know yet. May be just paint and leave the pad off.

HPIM3005.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Tony,I,m gonna pull mine off and see what,s under there.I might just leave it off?We,ll see!

Theres a guy here that does really great dash work but I can't remember his name, I'll see if I can find that thread. He did really cool things to his with chrome tape and other things.

did a little on the 4 spd hump, it is in need of a few minor repairs but all in all I can make it work and looking good. Start doing some placement work on it tomorrow and see what kind of triming it will need.

005.JPG

Glad to see that you are getting some time to work on the 66 again Tony, I know youve been chomping at the bit. Looking forward to seeing that hump all done my friend!

I am too Badawg, no better fun for me than wrenching except driving them! The hump is getting closer, repair peices are cut to fill in the top but it is going to need alot more hammering to get it to fit good. I am puzzled about the placement, seems to be sitting on a backup plate for the seat. Anyone have stock pic of thier 4 spd hump?

003.jpg

fitting tunnel.jpg

Its coming along fstfish, its a little rough but I don't mind metalworking, a few more hours and I'll have her there.
I experimented with a couple of my emblems today, here is an before and after, how does it look?

emblems bfore and after.jpg

The hump and emblem look good! Hang in there my friend, thing will get to moving quicker for you soon Im sure. I cant wait to see that beauty back on the road after all of your hard work!

tony emblems look great.. did you brush or spray the black ?? and what paint did you use....nice looking

Thanks guys, I used some plain black Enamel in one of those testors pens. I think they need to be more polished but I am going to wait untill the paint drys more. I gained a little more on the 4 spd hump today, A couple more hours and it will be sharp. Its good practice for my metal fab and welding skills (lack of that is)!! I am going to have to fix the hole in the floor also.

hump getting close.jpg

1st patch #2.jpg

Ya, it seems like a long time ago now but it was just last october, they never go together fast enough. It seems like yesterday that it was on the trailor heading home.

coming home in Jackson.jpg

Glad to see your getting some time in,keep plugging away!She,ll be done before you know it!Yeah right!LOL!There never done!

Thank you Logan she has a long way to go.

Isn't that the truth pettyblue, there is always something. Right now baby steps but soon there maybe some serious improvements.
Next when the hump is done and down, I'll be able to finish the paint on the floor and then up on her side to do the torgue boxes and get the frame connectors on and paint the underneath.

I was just wondering how 66signetHT(or anybody) worked the back of his new tranny hump that has the largest gap? That is the only spot I haven't fixed yet.

Your car is looking great. I see in another thread you have the paint booth ready to go and waiting for your car. I ended up just hacking the lip off the back and making a piece to fit. Hope the pictures help

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

Thanks 66signetHT, that is exactly the shot I needed to see. Looks like you just patched it to where it fit the floor huh? Cool, with a little fabrication it will be done.

-
Back