FInally got moving on my 64 Barracuda!!

-
Keep up the great work. It will be done before you know it. Love the early cuda's too. But ended up with a 67 Fastback.

Sheesh, $400k in Pitsburgh buys you a big freakin home.

As far as my garage is concerned, it does have a furnace in the basement of the garage, but it's a coal furnace and the soot from that is unbearable, plus it takes about 2 hrs to raise the temp enuf to work @ all. Just going to clear out an area in my house basement and roll her in there so I can do the non fuming kinda work, seeing as the battery is out, the engine is out, and the gas tank is gonzo, haven't out the new one in yet.

I do have the bug, though, but there's so much more de construction to do befoe reconstruction can happen.

I did get a price from my local glass guy, though, for removing the windshiled and massive rear window. $235 in/out. He'll take em out when I call him, and I pay him up front, then, when it's time for them to go back in, he'll also install them, all for the one price. he can even get a NEW windshield for this car for ~$300, and I may go that way as this one has 46 years of grime, grit, sand, and mung that has it somewhat pitted, so it may be worth it to me to go with a new, clear one.

FF

Ah the warm weather finally hits, pushed my baby out of the garage and did some more dis-assembly, rear lights, chrome, seat, some wiring, here's some pics:

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

Little bit of an update.

Finally got the mounting points cleaned up for the passenger side inner fender, did some cleaning up(undercoating removal) on the donor inner fender.

Hadn't had much time to put towards the car since last postings, lots of other things going on and work is a *****.

Today, got the final positioning done on the replacement inner fender, drilled small holes, used self tapping teeny tiny screws to hold it in place, and as a plus, they made the seems near perfect. Worked it a bit with the body hammers and dollies to get the lines just right.

Fired up the mig, climbed into the engine compartment, and had at it, started with the upper shock mount points, welds were ok @ best. Now, I haven't done tons of welding, and am for the most part a beginner, but had taken a 10 week welding class in prep for the Barracuda @ the local community college, and fared pretty damned good in the class. After adjusting the feed and voltage, I finally got the feel for what I needed.

Made 80 % of the weld ok, some just didn't seem to want to work out. Finally figgered out the problem, the ones that were being obstinate, the backing metal I was welding TOO, which I had cleaned and stripped and wire brushed some time back had a little surface rust and that seemed to impede the welding process. I finally got fed up, and, after a 10 hour day working not only on my car, but a buddies car(about 4 hours + on that car) called it an evening, but not until smoothing out the good welds and looking at how bad they might be, and figuring out how much putty would have to be mixed to do the final hide on the welds. not much.

May work on it some tomorrow, but have to be @ a picnic @ 3, and some other things going on in the morning, soooo, if it don't rain, I'll work on it monday while the racks of ribs slow cook during their journey from fridge to grill to my, and my family's stomachs.

FF

Glad to see your back at it!Once you get the front done,all the pieces will fall together.Keep up the work!:cheers:

Thanks!!

The front inner fender replacements are the single biggest jobs I have to do(well, the toughest for me). After that, it's fab and weld in one trunk extension, strip and straighten any imperfections in the body, and off to paint she goes, as long as no surprizes pop up, and as we all know those jump out at you at the most inopportune times.

FF

Busy weekend til the rains came. here's some pics of the work that got done this weekend, followed by a "before" pic, and lastly,showing the fruits of my labor, which I now have to get to the grill!!!!

FF

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

ribs.jpg

FINALLY, finished the replacement of the passengers side inner fender, now have to get to work on the driver's side, here's some pics of the finished products

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

Sweet, great job. Makes me want to start the work on my -66 B-cuda.

Got up this morning, didn't really feel that good, surfed the web a bit and then headed out to the garage and pushed the beast part way out of the garage and started on the driver's side inner fender removal.

Now I know some remove the bad on with a weld cutter, or a drill, but, to me, a sawzall and air chisel do perfect for removing the one that is to get pitched, anyways.

I also did the first test fit of the replacement(although it needs a lot of work, but isn't as bad as the pic makes it out to be. Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll cut off the hacked up upper part of the shock mount and weld on the donor.

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

ds.jpg

Ah that drivers inner fender looks much better on your car than it did in my back yard. lol Your work is coming along very nice.

cut off the hacked up part fo the driver's side front shock mount assy tonight, measured and cut the donor, welded it on(I know, I'm still learning and honing my welding skills, so they could be better, but....)

next, grind the welds get some primer on it(weld thru primer @ the top) and then start working on getting the new(er) inner fender ready for install.

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

what size are the rear wheels and tires? do/did they rub?

edit, the slot wheels

I think the back tires were 225/70-14 and the front 205/70-14,

the backs are useless now as I changed the rear to an 8-3/4, and the fronts will become obsolete to me when Iput the LBP discs on soon, so the slots will be going up for sale then.

I got the windshield and rear windows removed tonight(had an auto glass place pull them for me, less chance of breakage) and what I found was quite pleasing. All of the mount area is in great shape, a little surface rust, nothing major, though, everything will take just a little massaging, a little sanding, some rust converter, and then paint, overall, very little relative time will have to be spent in these areas.

FF

My Summer (week of) Vacation

My summer vacation, the first day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I drank copious amounts of hot coffee, along with a bagel, then I played on the computer for a while. Then I went to NAPA to get new front rotors for my Camry, and see if they had anything that resembled a torsion bar removal tool.

Once home, the real fun started. NAPA (and everyone else around here for that matter, had nothing resembling the tool, so I had to improvise. I took a brand new pair of vise grips, placed a 3/4"(actual inside size 15/16) clamp(muffler style) on the torsion bar, cranked it down really tight, locked the vise grips on the bar @ the clamp, and took a BFH and knocked them out. Now, I plan on putting new ones in, so nicking the old ones was not a problem.

Then, I proceeded to remove the K-Frame completely, of which Wednesday(spending tomorrow with my daughter) I will finish disassembly of the front end(k frame, steering etc) and get the stuff ready to go to blast/powder coat.

Also, a co-worker brought by my driver's side inner fender, which another co-worker had sand blasted over the weekend, and dropped it off, and we quaffed a coupla Sam Adams Summer Ales. Here's a couple pics of the k-frame, and a before and after of the inner fender, as far as sandblasting is concerned.

FF

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

Good work Man !

yesterday its my first day of my summer vacation !

yeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa

Nice job on your car! I know that you can't work all the time. That seems to be a worldwide problem!!!

It's been a long, long, and I stress long, time since I did anything worthwhile on my Barracuda. Somehow, the garage just filled up with crap and the car wasn't that accessible. Well, in the last 2 months, the garage has undergone quite the renovation, as some of you may have seen in another thread. WEll, I recently got back to working on my car. I had to buy 2 different inner fenders(driver's side). The first one had a lot of surface rust, and, once blasted, had some area that were just too thin for my liking. I found another one, and started fitting it a few weeks ago, and it was nowhere near close. I sat down and tried and tried to make it fit, to no avail. Well, I worked on it for ~3hrs 2 weeks ago, and was so frustrated and mad, I had to walk away right then, or I would have thrown the damned thing on the floor and started jumping all over it, and then it would NEVER fit.

2 days later, I went into the garage, clear mind, and sat down with both of the potential replacements on the work bench, along with tape measure in hand. While the one with paper thin area fit quite good, I knew it wasn't my choice to use. Is tarted measuring different areas, and it soon became apparent this thin had been kind of flattened, maybe in shipping they shipped it with something heavy on top of it, I don't know.

Well many hours later, and with much tinkering, I finally got the thing on the car today, well, temporary mounting. It's screwed down, and my next trip to the garage(one night this week) will see me firing up the welder and permanently attaching the inner fender. After that, it will be grinding the plug welds smooth, little bit of putty here and there, some sanding, and, off to some new area of the car. I wwant to get all the area that need some wedling done done before the end of fall, and would love to get the car off of the rotisserie befor ethe new year, but, I think, realistically, with all of the suspension parts that are going to get blasted and powder coated, I might have to hit powerball to achieve that goal, I think late spring is more doable.

I haven't figured out how to caption pictures on here, I've tried and tried, to no avail, so.. the inner fender I used , the shock hole was pretty banged up. I spent quite some time with body hammers and dollies, trying to coax it back to looking decent, but not needing too much putty, in the process. Well, I was having a helluva time, and then, last night, I was watching an old episode of "Overhauling", and they were "shrinking" metal (had been stretched by beating on it too much) by heating it up, then hitting it with a cold wet rag, bingo, the light went off in my head, I'll give that a shot.
I went out, after making a posting on what to do in the "Body" threads, and got out the propane torch, heating the pi$$ out of an n area, and hit it with a rag soaked in ice water, wow, what results. I was able to get it decent enough, and then massage it some more with the hammer and dollies, that it will take barely a fine skim coat of putty to filling the little waves.

here are pics of the bad shock hole, the repaired shock hole, and the inner fender, mounted, screwed down, and waiting for this guy to get his fat a$$ out there and weld.

Later

FF

Attachments

• DSC02195.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC02197.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC02201.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC02202.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC02205.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC02206.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC02207.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 243
The originals had been severely, and quite horribly, hacked for fender well headers. They had also hacked the crap out of the upper shock mounts, too.

The problem, to my knowledge, nobody re-pops the inner fenders for the early "A"'s. hence, you have to hit it lucky and find someone dismantling one that has decent inner fenders to scavenge. I found two people, although the one, after sandblasting, has some thin ares.

FF

-
Back