Finally have some new pictures to show all- Red is home!

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
1967 Plymouth Barracuda I started on back in 2010- got a couple of other threads on here from the takedown and such (Getting closer to the Start- '67 Barracuda "before" shots for one).

A long haul- the shop I selected for body and paint has had her for 18 months. . .part of the hold up has been having his shop bulldozed by TXDOT and having to relocate. . .

. . .but worth the wait!

Here you see some of the "during" phase; the usual body work done on not too great front clip, fenders and the like. Not too easy to see are the new floor pans welded in, the attention paid to getting the body lines right. . .and getting things lined up properly. Had frame ties installed and welded in while the body was supported and aligned- really helped with the process. . .

Gentlemen had to fab new radiator support and all that from the mauling this girl took at my hands as a teenager. . .he did a great job with all.

Attachments

• Red in progress and finished body and paint 001.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 497
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 017.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 498
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 014.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 506
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 012.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 500
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 007.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 006.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 495
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 005.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 507
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 004.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 509
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 003.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 503
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 002.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 509
Lookin' good!

One day you will turn the key on that baby and get
a big grin on your face.......been there, done that:D

And all that work became this:

Attachments

• Red in progress and finished body and paint 036.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 479
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 035.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 474
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 034.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 482
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 033.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 032.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 026.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 475
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 025.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 474
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 021.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 481
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 020.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 483
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 019.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 482
Can't see this feature too well. . .but look at the new dual exhaust valence cutout-

Attachments

• Red in progress and finished body and paint 027.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 474
Great new engine bay. . .just like a new canvas:

Attachments

• Red in progress and finished body and paint 031.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 468
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 030.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 481
And this little feature- hope you can see it:

Attachments

• Red in progress and finished body and paint 040.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 476
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 044.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 041.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 470
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 020.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 476
  • Red in progress and finished body and paint 027.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 464
Gentleman did a heck of a job on the paint- the overall is Chrysler Colorado Red- and the darker red rally stripe is a Toyota color.

The stripe is like the low observable markings found on military aircraft; in the dark or under certain lighting conditions, the rally stripe is all but invisible. . .and then under other conditions it appears, bold and beautiful!

Now to get the rest of the sweetheart together so I can turn that key on her!

Other features incorporated in her to help do away with some of her weak areas: Rhino Hide both inside and for undercoating completely through the floor area and the underside. Weighs way less than the undercoating that came before. I do not want this thing rusting out again!

Likewise, new frame ties take the stress out of the body so that the doors, hood and trunk will continue to close nicely. The fellow did use my spare parts to advantage- all of the body work is in metal with just a smattering of filler where needed. 4 coats of clear bury the rally stripe so that is can't be felt.

Nice job making the matching cutout for the dual exhaust- now just have to arrange the fuel tank to take advantage of it.

Also on the plate and being reconditioned to go under is a 8.25 SureGrip with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern and 11 in. drums- 2.71 gears for highway work. . .and 11 inch discs from the same car for the front- all hung with PolyGraphite bushings. Hanging front and rear sways as well- kinda going for a rally capable suspension to justify that stripe!

Looking great! You have a nice winter project to keep you busy now.

Yes the ghost stripe is so subtle but really gonna tie it all together once completed,very nice love the red and the cut outs through the valance is another sweet deal.

Looks great.
You will discover that the header panel should have been painted on saw horses and the grilles installed before bolting it in between the fenders. Installing the grilles to the car can be one of the most difficult parts of the trim work. It's no biggie though. My mentioning this may create a mental note for others on the same path.
Happy moparing

Yes the ghost stripe is so subtle but really gonna tie it all together once completed,very nice love the red and the cut outs through the valance is another sweet deal.

Appreciate the compliments- will see if I can make some interior tie-ins in the upholstery in the same color as the ghost stripe; nothing too garish. . .

Looks great.
You will discover that the header panel should have been painted on saw horses and the grilles installed before bolting it in between the fenders. Installing the grilles to the car can be one of the most difficult parts of the trim work. It's no biggie though. My mentioning this may create a mental note for others on the same path.
Happy moparing

Thanks Redfish. I am hoping that works out- we took the grilles off the other Barracuda and fitted them in conjunction with the massaging and hanging of the header panel (front clip) between the fenders. We shall see if that did the trick to line up all the holes and such.

I am in the process of tearing down all the pieces of grilles I have collected: cutting the rivets out, picking out the cleanest and straightest sections, then massaging them, painting and polishing each, putting them back together. Hoping that I will come out with some pretty nice grilles that way. So far so good- just need to get a hobbiyist size air brush for the black striping, silver argent areas and to re-darken the egg crate in the center. That will make for nice distractions for the winter months!

Got to get with you on the gas gauge and IVR you have for sale. . .will go back to the website and look it over. .. let you know soon.

I did the black line in the grilles with tape.

-
Back