finally it looks like V-8 time

-
Ok, basically running again, I need to get a few things fine tuned. has anyone done the work for me on rejetting the AFB? I got a stock 1965 413 AFB and my Carter Strip Kit sitting here, has any one come up with a winning combination of metering rods and jets for a fairly mild 318 with stock exhaust? right now if I get into it I get a bit rich.
I'm also having a bit of trouble with the vacuum advance, with it hooked up I get surging and popping off idle when unhooked it runs great. I need to sort that out.

just realized I haven't updated this for a long time. the engine runs great the trans is working good now the exhaust is on and done the Barracuda had dual exhaust with glass packs so that's what's on it. I would have rather had a regular set of mufflers but it sounds good if a little loud. I have a pretty good amount of giddy-up-go considering the 2.76 gears. I have a 8 3/4" with 3.91 posi waiting for me to feel like tearing into it. I did a complete changeup on the wheels and tires, I moved from Rallies to steel wheels and 66 Charger Hubcaps and really like the look. I also went with a much bigger tire, 235/60/14 Uniroyal Tiger Paws. here is a photo or two of the car as it is right now:
P1020424.jpg

P1020423.jpg

P1020422.jpg

P1020421.jpg

well, after long and hard consideration, I have decided an upgrade was in order.
there are going to be two stages to the upgrade, the first is on it's way.
first, I have been looking into a cam and intake combination that will work better. the Offenhauser as it turns out is a real hamper to performance. they appear to do best when doing your recycling. So I went shopping on ebay and bought a slightly used Edelbrock Performer intake for $80.00. it looked best overall in a Hotrod Magazine test I read.
the other thing is the Crane cam. after flattening a lifter or two,and not as hot as expected performance, I've decided to go a different way, so I went hunting and came up with a Hughes Whiplash cam. I called and talked to their tech guy and he told me the down side to these cams are in the 6000rpm range, and that I probably wouldn't, or shouldn't run into that problem. he assures me that it should make gobs of low end torque, and work and sound great with my setup.
I'm contemplating a head swap while I'm at it. also contemplating a move to manual steering in a forward look towards a future with headers, or Dakota exhaust.
the next stage is a planned move to a THM-200-4R overdrive trans, and 8 3/4 3.91:1 rear axle setup. all indications are that the trans is strong enough to hold my horsepower, and small enough to install without cutting into the floor board. the issues are fabricating mounts, linkage, and dealing with the lock-up converter, none of which should be that hard to overcome.
I'm planning a new video of it running soon!

Your 64 looks hauntingly like my old one I had many years ago...Could the original plate have started with ORJ?

mine came from the proverbial little old lady from Pasadena. apparently she was a teacher at Pasadena College as it had a parking pass. she must have got too old to drive and ran it into something in the driver fender and it ended up in a wrecking yard up here in the Antelope Valley.

all the boxes have now arrived so maybe this weekend I'll get everything changed.

any updates on the car? was reading through this thread and am really liking what you have done so far

mine came from the proverbial little old lady from Pasadena. apparently she was a teacher at Pasadena College as it had a parking pass. she must have got too old to drive and ran it into something in the driver fender and it ended up in a wrecking yard up here in the Antelope Valley.

all the boxes have now arrived so maybe this weekend I'll get everything changed.

This old lady, haha? That was a few years ago near Pasadena:
zEMvJlJqo_OwQ4W8gNuwMr5eFBHKVyWEVz9m6JXSLnq7IL_CQAwG1QkSNG00lbA8sYPHuz=w1468-h1064-no?authuser=0.jpg

273,318,340,360 are all the same height.

Build a hot 318 or 360 or even 408 but know as the cid increases so does the need for exhaust and you are limited in that department with the early a-body.
I put a 2.5 duel in 66 Dart. Fits not problem, with Sanderson headers...

-
Back