finally it looks like V-8 time

-
the latest photo, just fitting the alternator stuff and pulleys etc.. I bought an AFB off ebay for around $40.00 after shipping. this is the only real expense so far. I set an old AVS on it for now for the photo. the air cleaner is a stock one off a 1969 440, I may switch to the factory 273 Charger air cleaner, I'm not sure.
img_1626.jpg

Your getting close!

The cam your using is close in numbers to the one I am using,
what do you plan on using for mufflers?
I am using Dynomax Super Turbos, with my 318. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

I'd strongly recommend a manifold different than the dual-port. At part-throttle the A/F mixture hits some big turbulence after flowing from half an intake port into a full-size head port. I'll admit I've never actually used one but the way it's designed seems to go against everything that's common knowledge about flow and turbulence.

I noticed your signature line, this is sitting in my back yard.:-D
img_1628.jpg

img_1627.jpg

I got a box yesterday! I got it on ebay and so far it looks to be in really good shape. it's a 3871S off a 1965 413. now I need to find someone good at jetting, I imagine it will need some adjusting, big difference between a 318 and a 413:-D
img_1632.jpg

you ever have one of those days?
did you know they changed the motor mount tabs from the 273's to the later 318's (the 273 has 2 tabs in the back and one up front late '70's have 2 tabs up front and one in the back). did you also know there is no late 318 motor mount that fits in an early A body? here is a photo of the engine passenger side:
img_1896.jpg

well what to do? I called my friend who is like McGuyver who fixed my problem by cutting off the extra rear tab and re-welding it to the front of the mount. is there an easier way? probably but he wanted to so I let him:-D
here is a photo of the mount as it came back:
img_1892.jpg

img_1893.jpg

img_1894.jpg

and here it is bolted on, I'll probably take it off and grind it flat and paint it, you'l never even know something was done with it.
img_1897.jpg

I was thinking about doing a bit of a makeover and changing the look a bit.
I was thinking about losing the Rally wheels and going with these, what do you think?
I found them in my Dad's back yard like this:
img_2359.jpg

after hosing them off, I'll still need to take them apart and give them a good scrub and maybe even freshen the black paint.
img_2360.jpg

another step completed! I went by my friends trans shop and did a down and dirty rebuild (it's been so long since I was inside an auto I almost forgot how they worked!) and it's ready to go in. I think I have everything all gathered so I may start the swap tomorrow.8)
img_2370.jpg

if you don't have a couple of these, I highly recommend them:toothy10:
img_2371.jpg

Way to go 37 fleetwood, looking godd, and she'll be alot of fun now! Heck if nothing else she sounds really cool now!

Congrats! I love to see these threads when guys move full steam ahead, gets me motivated again. Looks like you are well on your way to one sweet ride!

thanks for the kind words, I ran into a couple problems, one was the exhaust, did you know that the Barracudas are shorter than the Darts? who knew, so I had to cut both pipes and add 4.5 inches. also still having trouble with the power steering pump but I think I got that handled. I should be on the road tomorrow sometime.

well, I went for the first drive yesterday over to my parents place, about a 25 mile round trip. everything went flawlessly. I needed to pick up a different power steering pump and some other stuff. I should put together a list of the things you would need to do this swap, there are quite a few things you'll need if you want to use stock parts. on the agenda today, swap the power steering pump and oil filter adapter, the later ones are at an angle and for the early body you need the straight one.

How was the drive, much of a power differance? Were you hating that dang duel exhaust? Was it just an all around blast?

well let's just say that it was probably at least a 200hp boost over the /6 :thumleft:
it ran great, it's by no means done, I still have to get a few things final adjusted and some bugs worked out. I need to change the oil filter adapter to the one that puts the filter straight back, and change the power steering pump. I'm currently thinking I may have to change out the tin intake gaskets for a set of composite ones as I still have water leaks at the front corner. I need to change the park cable, the '65 console cable is shorter than the '64 lever on my dash. I need to give it a final fine tune and paint some of the parts I put on before I painted them (you wouldn't believe how difficult wrinkle black paint is turning out to find!), and finally I need to get the hood put back on, both hinges popped off when I was putting the engine in, I have to decide whether to pull the fenders and permanently fix the problem or just get it back on, once it's bolted on tight the hinges seem to stay put, but if you take one loose they pop off the pins, and the hood goes shooting off the car like a catapault.

another step completed! I went by my friends trans shop and did a down and dirty rebuild (it's been so long since I was inside an auto I almost forgot how they worked!) and it's ready to go in. I think I have everything all gathered so I may start the swap tomorrow.8)
img_2370.jpg

Well i guess that came back to bite you in the rump!! back to Daves now and do it right!:poke:

-
Back