Finally the 66 Dart is here!!

-
Well this past weekend I went racing at Grand Bend Motorplex with a Nostalgia group.I ran 11.20@118mph then broke my spring perches off at launch(cheesy fluxcore welds)I will now weld them on better seeing I have argon-mix tank for my mig welder.I,m also changing to a spool now with 4.30 gears,so this saves me doing the perches later on.I could have really done some damage,but they let go at launch(u-joint straps and bolts let go)Time to fix er up!!
Racing the 66 Dart 017.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 018.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 017.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 018.jpg

Wow Scott. that could have been worse than it was. All that horsepower eh?

Mike

Damn Scott that's scary. Glad you're okay and no major damage done it looks like.

Glad you are alright and that beautiful car didn't get banged up. How many amps is your welder rated for and what gauge wire are you using? I am wondering just out of curiousity. If it is only a 120V welder then I would take it to a welding shop and let them do it. Just to be on the safe side.

The C-body housing I had narrowed was pretty pitted as you can see on the housing I had grinded it down pretty good before welding.I guess it was good enough?I will crank up the heat and speed this time and also add gussets for strength.I just hope I don,t twist the housing now?LOL.I,ll take some pics before installing again.

Hey good to hear yer safe and she is repairable! That song from the Flintstones is running thru my head right now by the Wayouts....Twist, Twist...LOL Good luck with her Scott

thats why u were pushin her back to the pits lol. i saw u guys pushin her and was gonna come and say hi a little later on but couldn't find ya. Are you going to the mopar IHRA race this weekend at Grand Bend? I'll be there on saturday for the day and night of fire, as long as it doesn't rain :angry7:

The C-body housing I had narrowed was pretty pitted as you can see on the housing I had grinded it down pretty good before welding.I guess it was good enough?I will crank up the heat and speed this time and also add gussets for strength.I just hope I don,t twist the housing now?LOL.I,ll take some pics before installing again.

Bummer Scott. Glad to hear it didn't tear it up worse. Looks like you didn't get good enough penetration. Crank up the heat and you should be ok. You may know this but in case you don't weld a little and take a break to let it cool so it don't warp then weld some more. Those axle tubes aren't all that thick and warp kinda easy.

Bummer Scott. Glad to hear it didn't tear it up worse. Looks like you didn't get good enough penetration. Crank up the heat and you should be ok. You may know this but in case you don't weld a little and take a break to let it cool so it don't warp then weld some more. Those axle tubes aren't all that thick and warp kinda easy.
Yeah was a crusty old housing I had kicking around.It will be a tank after I,m done this time.I keep a soaked rag and bucket of water for cooling welds.Gussets will help also.I,m glad it happened at the line,cause I shut er down quickly,glad not to have damaged my spragg.

Yeah was a crusty old housing I had kicking around.It will be a tank after I,m done this time.I keep a soaked rag and bucket of water for cooling welds.Gussets will help also.I,m glad it happened at the line,cause I shut er down quickly,glad not to have damaged my spragg.

Gussets shouldn't be necessary as long as the welds are solid. You might also consider a back brace to stiffen it up so more. Their not very expensive.

I just spent about an hour reading through you entire thread. You car has come a long way. Wow. Great build. Keep us posted.

Damn she really has some torgue! Now you know that pressure is going to double with the new gears, weld her good I am looking for that 10.99!

Well today I dropped off the 29 spline yoke for my spool,also grabbed a couple 2790 u-joints(which I had a hell of a time getting)so I guess it,ll be going back together Monday.Hope it,s not as hot next week as it was this week.Sheesh!

I'd like to offer some advise. Bevel all the edges before welding it back on. It will allow deeper penetration.

OK well tonight I welded up some new perches and added extra gussets.These are not moving this time,kinda worried now aabout twisting the housing.I hope my spool is ready tomorrow,so I can get er back together and do some T&T before PINKS at the end of the month.Pics of perches and gussets welded up.
Racing the 66 Dart 019.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 022.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 019.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 022.jpg

If they let go again,I,ll have no choice but to narrow my spare A-body housing,which I don,t want to be doing.With the spool and the 4.30 should dangle the O,s now!LOL:-D

After work today,went and picked up my spool and took my center to have the 3.23,s put back in(swapping in the 73 Dart Sport 340)and removing the 4.10.s.I got home and got the rear back together and in the car.Just need to bleed the brakes and put wheels on,it got dark on me and was outside working.It,s in,so now can do some T&T before PINKS.WooHoo!
Racing the 66 Dart 024.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 025.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 024.jpg

Racing the 66 Dart 025.jpg

Can't wait to see you on Pinks Scott. I see this wed. eve is the first new episode this season.
Hey Tracy,they don,t televise ArmDropLive in Canada which sucks!I,m sure there,ll be plenty of posts on YouTube.I also hope to get my friends wife to video me racing to Rich,s arm drop.I,ve been a fan of Pinks since the first episodes,so would be cool to get some footage!Til then!

Hey Tracy,they don,t televise ArmDropLive in Canada which sucks!I,m sure there,ll be plenty of posts on YouTube.I also hope to get my friends wife to video me racing to Rich,s arm drop.I,ve been a fan of Pinks since the first episodes,so would be cool to get some footage!Til then!

Man that does suck. I didn't know it wasn't televised. If you get some video post a link.

-
Back