First Mopar ever and a 318 question!!

-

64mustang65

Reaction score
Guys, I am as new to Mopars as to this site1 I just bought my first Mopar...a 1966 Barracuda. It has the original 273 with it but the guy was in the process of installing a 318. I finished hooking everything up and tried to start it...When I turned it over, the steering wheel went hard to the left and when it fired, I could not turn it back? Yes, it does have factory power steering. Also, When it fired up, it sounded rough the smoked thru the carb??? Ran rough and too rough to check timing?? Any help would be appreciated greatly as I didnt even know what cylinders were 1 thru 8??? Figured that out and firing order is now correct! Thanks guys!

Guys, I am as new to Mopars as to this site1 I just bought my first Mopar...a 1966 Barracuda. It has the original 273 with it but the guy was in the process of installing a 318. I finished hooking everything up and tried to start it...When I turned it over, the steering wheel went hard to the left and when it fired, I could not turn it back? Yes, it does have factory power steering. Also, When it fired up, it sounded rough the smoked thru the carb??? Ran rough and too rough to check timing?? Any help would be appreciated greatly as I didnt even know what cylinders were 1 thru 8??? Figured that out and firing order is now correct! Thanks guys!

As far as the steering goes. On top of the power steering box there are two bolts into a bracket with the pressure line running into it. You can move that side to side and that will cause what you are experiencing. You will have to center it then try it again. It happened to me before.

Yes adjust it but to run the engine, just remove the power steering belt. Then deal with the power steering adjustment later when the engine's running right.

Easy enuff to remember, 18436572, #1 cylinder, drivers front of the engine. In most Chilton books I'd imagine.

Sounds like teething problems with first starting up anything. You'll just need to tinker with it more. The smoke through the carb can be normal until you sort things out. Twist the distributor a bit. The balancer could be off some and that would throw you off when you try to time it.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Like was said unhook the power steering belt untill you get the engine sorted out then address that issue

Got it and great call on the belt! I will readjust the distributer a bit each way and see if I can smooth it out enough to time her...follow up later! Thanks again guys! By the way, I am a Sherwin-Williams paint sales rep...not a mechanic...like you couldn't figure that out! Thanks!

Oh man, with a name like that you'll get some ribbing for sure. Welcome aboard. The cylinders are 1357 fan to driver on the driver side (left side in Moparspeak, as viewed from the back) and 2468 on the passenger right side.
GM_cyln_1357.gif
You can drop the distributor in 180 out (or *** backwards) and it might even run really bad. Best thing to do from the start is he may have the 273 or 318 damper and it may be a later 318 that is actually marked on the other side of the timing case. Here is what you can try. Pull the cap and note where #1 wire is and the #1 plug. Bump the big battery lug on the firewall to the threaded lug right next to it with a screwdriver, this'll bump the starter and rotate the motor. Put your thumb OVER the spark plug hole and keep bumping until you get a strong blow by past your thumb. you are now deep into the compression stroke. Look at your damper and if the line is coming up (to the left of the stationary marker) to TDC or 0 keep bumping the starter until you are just before TDC or as close as you can get within 5 degrees either way.
V8_dist_ro_c.gif
Now look at your rotor. It should be pointing at the #1 tower, (roughly toward the front driver intake bolt if its per the book) NOT #6. If its on #6, pull and drop back in so it points to #1. You want the plug to fire just before TDC. You can rotate your distributor to fine tune this. put back together and try to start. This should get your motor to fire good enough to idle and time with a gun. You can set your idle a little high and unplug your vacuum advance while you time it. Just keep it under 1200 as to minimize the mechanical advance.

Awesome info! I will try to post a picture, but not sure how to?? This car is pretty awesome and one of those finds we all dream about! I am a Mustang guy, but love them all...no matter the brand! My opinion, pre 1970, they are all awesome! After 1970, most are awesome, but got a few I would pass on! Thanks again and I have pix, and will try to post!

Here is the picture of the 1966 Cuda. It is a canadian car bought new from a canadian Dodge dealership...

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 245
Great looking ride. Hope you solve your problem soon.

Anyone know how to decode all the fender tag info? I cannot even find a site online to decode the trim/paint codes?? The Vin I have figured out...its the rest I am having trouble with...

Here is a pic...I looked at that site and looked like 1969 and newer info?

Attachments

• IMG00204-20120311-1107.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 208
if you start a new thread asking to decode this tag , you will get a much better response, sorry i should have mentioned that lol ,that way members will know and can see it. im used to the 68 and up tags

-
Back