flexplate install

-

MoparOrNokar

HammerTime
Reaction score
Just built my 360 amd had the rotating assembly balanced. When i install the flexplate do i need to have it clocked a certain way on the crank? Also the engine builder told me to remove any weights on the converter. Does this sound right?

If it was balanced without the converter then yes remove weights. Also I think the flex plate can only go on one way.

They do in fact, only go on one way. And you will in fact, try all 4 combinations before finding the right one, if you didn't mark it.

One of the many things i learned the hard way while laying under the car.lol

all info given in correct
I like to install the flexplate on the converter, and hit one corner with a can of spraypaint so I can easily match the two up later
then I take it off of the converter and install it on the engine

the weights on the converter are for externally balanced 360s
now that you have yours internally balanced they would actually cause an imbalance , so make sure you remove those

Thanks alot guys. This will be my first install frim start to finish so im learning on the fly. Everyone on this forum is pretty damn informative. Thanks again

OP, did you give your flexplate AND your 360 damper to the person doing the balance work to be used in the balance process? That normally would have happened, as the 360 is what is known as an external balance engine, where intentional imbalance in the damper and flexplate (or torque converter) are used as part of the counterbalance weight. If they did NOT use these 2 parts in the process, then they internally balanced the engine, in which case you cannot use an original 360 damper.

Let us know, and if it is not 100% clear to you, make the call to whoever did the balance and ask! It's important!

Whats your favorite way to install your engine and trans without scratching anything? Trans in first? Engine in first then trans? Or mate trans and put both in at the same time. I have a intake lift plate or i have a leveler on chains

when I did this to my 71 duster I removed the hood, bolted then transmission to the engine and installed that as a unit
with a liftplate and a leveler

be sure you remove the radiator from the car, and maybe the fan from the motor

and no fluids in the tranny or motor

Yea both the new flexplate and damper were used in the balance
OK, well, if the damper is a 360 damper and the flexplate has some obvious imbalance to it (like a chunk out of one side), then you engine is (so-called) external balanced. If the flexplate has that obvious imbalanced shape, then no wight on the torque converter makes sense.

if they are both out of the car, put them together before you install.. it's tricky to install in the car, but very doable - leveler ALL the way. I am assuming the leveler has L brackets on it... I have always found it best to use the front of the heads as mounting points with the leveler... if the valve covers are on, you'll want to use a washer or two so the L brackets do not swing up and mash them - slightly longer bolts are required here. The tang on the leveler chain that you choose to go on the back of the drivers side head -- it will need to be either cut off to make it flat or at least ground down and rounded off - this is to keep it from contacting the firewall. I have a pic of what I did, but it's not available right now - I will try to post it later. To say it is a tight fit and you'll be close to everything is an understatement - slow and easy is the order of the moment.
Whats your favorite way to install your engine and trans without scratching anything? Trans in first? Engine in first then trans? Or mate trans and put both in at the same time. I have a intake lift plate or i have a leveler on chains

If it was balanced without the converter then yes remove weights. Also I think the flex plate can only go on one way.

It is possible to mount the flex plate backwards. As in away from the back of the block instead of toward it.
The other thing is what kind of flex plate is it? If it is a B&M then you do not need the weights on the converter and can use any neutral balanced converter that fits your transmission.

OK, well, if the damper is a 360 damper and the flexplate has some obvious imbalance to it (like a chunk out of one side), then you engine is (so-called) external balanced. If the flexplate has that obvious imbalanced shape, then no wight on the torque converter makes sense.

A little misleading. Only WEIGHTED BM type special flexplates have "a chunk out." OEM ones are not obvious, rather, a simple star.

I don't know now an engine builder would "balance" a weighted flex without converter? But the above is a good point

it is? I would think the bolt holes wouldn't line up at all.. you flip that around and it's going to be all hinked up.. (reference the crank bolt holes here - nothing to do with which flex plate I chose) I'm pretty inventive, but I highly doubt I could put that on backwards.....
It is possible to mount the flex plate backwards. As in away from the back of the block instead of toward it.
The other thing is what kind of flex plate is it? If it is a B&M then you do not need the weights on the converter and can use any neutral balanced converter that fits your transmission.

Attachments

• bmm-10235_ml.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 484

Let me rephrase that, it is possible to put it on backwards but only 4 bolts will line up. So you lay under the car turning an trying and turning an trying to get 6 bolts in knowing 1 hole is off. But you never get all 6 bolts to line up and you think is this the same flexplate I took off?

Looks like an external balanced flex plate your using to me. So you don't need the weights on the converter.

Here is the flexplate i have and a couple pics of the converter. Do i remove the little square on the side or the triangle shaped block on the top?

Attachments

• 1457139535542.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 20160304_194916.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 396
  • 20160304_194837.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 374
I just cut mine off with a cutting wheel

But that setup doesn't look right to me
That flexplate is the style you use to run a externally balanced convertor on an internally balanced engine...without removing the weights

BUT if that is the flexplate you had the rotating assembly balanced with, I guess my only concern would be you bought a flex plate you didnt need

NO NO not the squares (rectangles actually). Those are where the bolts go in to hold the torque converter to the flexplate! Oh, never mind you mean the thin square on the outside LOL. I actually don't know what that is....

As for the triangle, I would not just wedge it off for fear of breaking the metal underneath. It would be tedious, but I would carefully grind down through the weld.

And yes, your flexplate is the 360 external balance one. And has an SFI sticker on it too.

Ok so just the big triangle. I cant call the guy and ask because he has since went out of business. I cant remember why i had to buy this flexplate. Also now that i am home and looking at the flexplate, you cant put it on backwards. It is stampped engine side
NO NO not the squares (rectangles actually). Those are where the bolts go in to hold the torque converter to the flexplate! Oh, never mind you mean the thin square on the outside LOL. I actually don't know what that is....

As for the triangle, I would not just wedge it off for fear of breaking the metal underneath. It would be tedious, but I would carefully grind down through the weld.

And yes, your flexplate is the 360 external balance one. And has an SFI sticker on it too.

OP...........

1....You need to post the part no of your flexplate. Much of this could have been averted if you'd posted that first

2....IF that is the correct plate, it is for a FACTORY balanced/ weighted 360 to use a neutral balance converter, such as 340/ 318

3...Do NOT remove the "small squares" with the bolt holes. Remove any other weights from the converter

4....Mark the flex/ converter FIRST. One bolt hole is "offset" so that it only bolts up one way. You CAN assemble the engine / trans, and "try" all 4 positions but that is a PITA

-
Back