Status
Not open for further replies.

SD65WAGON

Justin
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
A bit of bad luck befell my 1965 Valiant Wagon this week, Looks like the original transmission case/ valve body are bad....so the shop has a 71 904 case to replace it with, but as the 65 is a cable operated column shift., I now need to convert this to a linkage floor shifter (Or find a 66 or newer turquoise Column shifted Steering Column) Anyone out there have a Floor shifter console, linkage, shifter set up for sale? Or suggestions ?? Thanks in advance..

If this late model trans is going behind the OEM engine/crank have the shop research torque convertor differences. If you already have a later model engine/crank they should find a bushing in the crank that was added for early torque convertor fit. Remove it for later model torque convertor fit.
I don't believe a 66 and up long console will fit between pre 66 model buckets. 65 had a short shifter box instead of full length console. That box may work with buckets or bench in pre 66.
Hope this helps.

Seems like it would be a lot less labor and effort to find another push button trans to rebuild. There must be one close to you in Colorado somewhere. Shipping an empty case with no extension housing on it and valve body would not be an unreasonable cost.

65 had the ball and trunion front u joint didn't it? You will need a different driveshaft as well if you change to a 66 and newer transmission.

Yeah, I went down and looked at the carnage........Rear band was burned and worn almost smooth, no grooves. the late model 71-72 case looked great, Obviously going to have to replace ball and trunion output shaft with correct length U-joint rear . I think I am probably going to go with the LOKAR kit with an 8 inch lever and find /build a short console for it....anybody used the LOKAR shifter. Interesting note on the Torque converter Redfish I will have the shop check that out.

Bands are part of the soft parts included in any rebuild kit so band condition at tear down is almost irrelevant. The drum the band grabs may need replacement had it gone metal to metal with the band but still.?! Hardly a strong argument for a damaged/non-rebuildable case. Hope tranny guy isn't a personal friend of yours as this all seems rather suspicious to me. Most common reason for a torqueflight case to be non-rebuildable is a rolled sprag but it takes hundreds of horsepower and or gobs of torque and a bit of abuse to do that to one. Your tranny guy sounds more and more like my ex-veterinarian who knows I love my pet and suggests any number of expensive tests with the caveat that it's a good idea but may not reveal anything. PS the "look" of a case is also irrelevant when considering a rebuild. Of course his case looks good, he just finished hot tanking/pressure washing it. I hope I don't offend but I think you're at the wrong shop and have the wrong guy working on your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back