Floor shift steering column

-

slowburn

Reaction score
Hey I'm in the middle of swapping the column shift column to floor shift and I have a couple questions. could anyone post a picture of the bottom of a floor shift column where it comes though the firewall? what I am looking for is the bushing that keeps the shaft centered in the crush tube and I'm looking for how the mounts that hold the tube to the fire wall so I know what I need or if I have the correct parts... Many Thanks!!

I think the year matters, so tell us.
My 65 Dart has floor shift, but the cable passes thru the firewall in a grommet like earlier push-button shift cables did. No bushings or crush tubes.

I dont think the firewall plates are any different for year to year or shifter location, but there are different lower bushings.

It's a 71 demon and it has the spring clip but no bushing. And about the firewall plates I don't see how the plate mount to the column

i guess does anyone have a good pic of a floor shift column out of a car so i can see how the plates that mount to the firewall are attached thanks

That firewall cover plate has a rubber center that captures the tube and isolates vibration.
There is a similar plate on the blower motor. Niether rigidly fastened to the item they isolate. Just a tight slip fit,
Another member recently tried to jerk the steering wheel off the column and pulled the column apart at the box coupling because the tube will slid through the rubber collar.
A service manual contains all this and more. Free download too.

That firewall cover plate has a rubber center that captures the tube and isolates vibration.
There is a similar plate on the blower motor. Niether rigidly fastened to the item they isolate. Just a tight slip fit,
Another member recently tried to jerk the steering wheel off the column and pulled the column apart at the box coupling because the tube will slid through the rubber collar.
A service manual contains all this and more. Free download too.

Alright thank you! I assume I can get one of the bushings from classic industries?

-
Back