Former owner foul-ups.

-

Mr Gorsky

I know words, I have the best words...
Reaction score
After purchasing my Demon, I noticed a tendency for it to lock the left rear wheel under moderate braking.

The previous owner had converted the car to BBP and had installed a '70 Coronet 8.75 rear end. When I went through the brakes I found a 13/16" wheel cylinder on one side and a 15/16" on the other!!

What have you found?

Speaker wire running to the amp gauge.

Wrong way to make room for a 727.

20180321_082738.jpg

Or worse, hearing (reading) the justification to put an LS in a Mopar, or anything non-GM really.
Agreed. Every time I read a thread about it, I gag a little. I also don't like small block Chevies in old fords or Mopars. I totally understand they do it because it is usually way cheaper, but I can't stand to look under the hood of a 32 or 49 Ford and see a SBC.

Agreed. Every time I read a thread about it, I gag a little. I also don't like small block Chevies in old fords or Mopars. I totally understand they do it because it is usually way cheaper, but I can't stand to look under the hood of a 32 or 49 Ford and see a SBC.
They sure are "easy" to make power with tho! I don't like Ls powered non gm either.

PO had 3 bolts missing from bell housing and 3 more not fully threaded. ECU not grounded and had a push button hanging under dash to start car. Temp sensor barely threaded therefore leaking. No PVC or plug to cover hole in valve cover. Just a partial list of what I can remember. GRRRR !!!!
Yote

I have a Mopar, but I do like the 70 and older cars both ford and chevy. I justify that by saying at least they are on the road and not scrapped. So, when I see an old '63 Chevy II with a stinking crate stroker, I just shake my head and keep walking. Yeah, I know it's their car and all and it isn't scrapped, but it is my opinion.

Behold... the "replacement Quarters" i found under about 1/2 inch of mud on my dart ;)
upload_2018-3-26_11-34-19.png

Cobbled together double wall pipe used for my dual exhaust, it weighed a ton and was held on with coat hangers.

Worst thing I ever come across is custom and aftermarket wiring.
It's all good for the guy who strung it all together and made it work, but even the slightest bit of troubleshooting becomes a total nightmare.

We did the front brakes on my dad's '68 MGB and found bent nails holding the brake pads in instead of the proper hardware.

PO "installed" a 318/904 combination after blowing up the 340. He used the original 340 motor mounts with the brackets on the wrong side of the block ears and made the driver's side "fit" with washers and nuts. This caused the motor to be moved further back and at a slight angle. The 904 cross member bolt holes were now too far back so they reversed the transmission mount 180 degrees and had to notch one side of the formerly rear-facing flange to clear the speedometer gear housing. The notch didn't allow for the speedometer cable to be hooked up. The gear shift torque tube from the frame to the transmission was now out of alignment so they made it fit to the transmission with a bent piece of flat iron in which they cut an oversized hole to make the sloppy linkage work without a grommet. It took the "hunt and peck" method to get the column shift lever to achieve the desired gear.
The combo ran but had a vibration and slight groan/howl above 40 mph.

No me but my dad. He bought a 90 Mustang 4 banger without an engine. The exhaust system was schedule 40 Stainless Steel pipe all welded together with 90's and 45's and a home made muffler. Weighed over 100lbs manifold (without the manifold) to tip!

Worst thing I ever come across is custom and aftermarket wiring.
It's all good for the guy who strung it all together and made it work, but even the slightest bit of troubleshooting becomes a total nightmare.

WIRING don't get me started! I worked for a dealer and had to deal with custom conversion vans, once I had a major problem with interior lighting, pulled part of the headliner down to find all blue wires about 20 of them? Pulled down the rear of the head liner and found about 10 white wires? Ripped out the whole headliner and they ran leftover blue wires that were to short and added white wires to then in the middle of the van! These were new factory conversion vans. I had another van that someone ran the screws to hold up the headliner right through the roof, had about 25 screws sticking out of the top, man we laughed our *** off.

No me but my dad. He bought a 90 Mustang 4 banger without an engine. The exhaust system was schedule 40 Stainless Steel pipe all welded together with 90's and 45's and a home made muffler. Weighed over 100lbs manifold (without the manifold) to tip!
That's amazing! Lol. On my rock crawler I made the exhaust out of 1/8 wall Dom tubing. It would grow over an inch in length as you would drive it because it would hold so much heat.

When I got my 67 Valiant it had an electric fuel pump in it.
2004-06-06_29.jpg

This was a stock 273 and there was a fuel pump still on the engine.

I first removed the electric one and hooked up the original, nothing, tried a pump I had in the garage, nothing. Ok, get a new pump, nothing?

My first thought was there was no eccentric on the cam so I pulled the timing cover off and found there was an eccentric but the cam bolt was about to fall off, I thing the only thing that kept it in was the cover. The eccentric was just rattling around in there, the slinger was all scrapped up from the timing chain moving back and forth.

Torqued it down, closed it up and everything worked.

Alan

I had a similar fuel issue. ‘73 Duster, electric fuel pump, no idea why it was a self grounding boat pump but there it is.

Took out the OE fuel pump and to my dismay, the pump arm was cut off. I installed a new pump and all was good.

4-through-the-floor conversion from 3-on-the-tree - cut 2 holes in the tunnel, ran the rods 1 hole to the other under the carpet.

what a surprise that was :(

I'll admit to this one, my error.

I had a different Valiant that wasn't in use and I had it parked on my driveway backed in. Well the driveway had a slope and when it rained the trunk would fill up with water as there was no trunk seal. Smart me I take a drill and went all the way forward to where the differential was and drilled a couple holes, figured I was well ahead of the gas tank, a little later I realized I drained the trunk right into the tank.

2006-02-01-02.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
Ha ha, I did the same thing.
The trunk fills with water so I figured just drill a small hole right?

WRONG...
Drilled into the tank....

At least I'm not the only one to make that mistake....

-
Back