Freds 73 Scamp restore on a budget

-
I bought some from metro and had the same imperfections. Funny some parts are made with amazing quality and others not so much. Seems like authentic reproduction stuff is real nice.

I bought some from metro and had the same imperfections. Funny some parts are made with amazing quality and others not so much. Seems like authentic reproduction stuff is real nice.
For me the hard part is finding the good quality parts. I need to order new windshield and rear glass gaskets and would spend the extra money to get quality but everyone seems to say they have good gaskets.

For me the hard part is finding the good quality parts. I need to order new windshield and rear glass gaskets and would spend the extra money to get quality but everyone seems to say they have good gaskets.
Can You glue that fugger in Fred?

I have yet to see anything from Steele that is good. Be careful with their ws gaskets. For 67, they are junk and only accept THEIR trim, which looks like Walmart trim.
I kept a few of the original door "end caps" as I read repops didnt have steel embedded in them. I wonder if originals could be "plasti dipped " to give another coat?
Fred check Precision for ws gaskets.

I have yet to see anything from Steele that is good. Be careful with their ws gaskets. For 67, they are junk and only accept THEIR trim, which looks like Walmart trim.
I kept a few of the original door "end caps" as I read repops didnt have steel embedded in them. I wonder if originals could be "plasti dipped " to give another coat?
Fred check Precision for ws gaskets.
Will do that thanks.

I should and thought about it BP.
I would like to do that on my Barracuda. I think the back window would fall right through the hole. I could weld in some 3/8 round stock. I have 68 Stainless mouldings I can use. Damned I cant even remember where I got them from. 67 has the plastic insert. I thought glued in with a generic vinyl molding and some faux bolts like nascar would be cool.

I would like to do that on my Barracuda. I think the back window would fall right through the hole. I could weld in some 3/8 round stock. I have 68 Stainless mouldings I can use. Damned I cant even remember where I got them from. 67 has the plastic insert. I thought glued in with a generic vinyl molding and some faux bolts like nascar would be cool.
thought about widening the pinch weld to but the molding might be an issue never checked it out real good.

thought about widening the pinch weld to but the molding might be an issue never checked it out real good.
That would work and the moulding should still work ok I'd have thought. Maybe cut a temporary piece of 1/4" plywood to lay in the hole to rest the glass on. Then you can offer the moulding up to check for issues. Vary the plywood thickness to get the glass to sit at the required depth in the hole of course.
Neil.

That would work and the moulding should still work ok I'd have thought. Maybe cut a temporary piece of 1/4" plywood to lay in the hole to rest the glass on. Then you can offer the moulding up to check for issues. Vary the plywood thickness to get the glass to sit at the required depth in the hole of course.
Neil.
Good idea should have tried that before I painted it but can still weld in new metal just have to be careful.

20191107_160721.jpg
20191107_161132.jpg
Doing some work on the doors today cleaning window regulators and installing handles. I need to tint the glass before I install it but wondering if I should do it myself or take it to a professional.

20191104_111352.jpg
20191104_111404.jpg
Did some work on the deck lid also I will strip all the paint off when I sand blast some rust first.
Been working last 2 weeks so not getting much done.
I got to make some money to buy more parts so part time in the body shop helps.

View attachment 1715420167 View attachment 1715420168 Doing some work on the doors today cleaning window regulators and installing handles. I need to tint the glass before I install it but wondering if I should do it myself or take it to a professional.
I vote professional. Had that done to my 2015 Dodge Journey when it was new. $350 for five Windows and am very happy with the outcome. Hey, but I don't know your skill level for that sorta thing. Lol.

I vote professional. Had that done to my 2015 Dodge Journey when it was new. $350 for five Windows and am very happy with the outcome. Hey, but I don't know your skill level for that sorta thing. Lol.
I've done a few but not good at it.

20191108_062923 (1).jpg
20191108_064123.jpg
I got one back window regulator in and have to tint the glass before I put them all in. I had one broken plastic roller and got on line to try and find it and nothing I could find, but Body Person had it and shipped it to me today. Good people here thanks guys.

The rear window regulators
Fred, do you have a picture of the weather stripping you need for the sunroof. I live about 10 minutes from these guys and might be able to match something they have if I go there in person.
Metro Moulded Parts ~ Top Quality Automotive Weatherstripping and Rubber Parts
If you can cut a section of it and put it on a white background for the pic.
Steve
I found the originals from a guy down in Florida and should be here in a few days but if they turn out to be wrong I will send you a sample for sure Thanks. but this is what it looks like.
20191026_184813.jpg

Everything I don't have. You doing a vinyl top?
It had one, but no, they kinda scare me and I like smooth look. My wife wants the satin hot rod black look. But the body is really straight and I'm thinking about a color now. It's got some blue in the interior so I can really only do blue, black or white for exterior colors. I'm still thinking though, lol.

It had one, but no, they kinda scare me and I like smooth look. My wife wants the satin hot rod black look. But the body is really straight and I'm thinking about a color now. It's got some blue in the interior so I can really only do blue, black or white for exterior colors. I'm still thinking though, lol.
Took me a long time to decide on a color. Just pick one that is easy to match so if you have to repaint something it is no problem.

20191118_194838.jpg
New torque converter made it here over $700 and the B&M flex plate I ordered from Jegs got lost from Fed Ex and no one is taking the responsibility to pay me back the $120 I spent on it so Need to order about $5000 in parts and Jegs will not get my order and Fed Ex will not deliver anymore of my parts. Pisses me off.

-
Back