Freds 73 Scamp restore on a budget

-
You can do it by yourself Fred. Need to run that hook up a couple links forward to get the right angle and put a bolt in there to keep it from slipping. Take your time.
Yea tomorrow gonna change the bolt pattern on the heads as well. I hope with the over drive it slides in the hole easy.

shopping
Using this on the bare aluminum to keep it pretty. a clear coat that you wipe on instead of spray. Shark Hyde is the name never used it before but heard it works well on all types of bare metal.

shopping
Using this on the bare aluminum to keep it pretty. a clear coat that you wipe on instead of spray. Shark Hyde is the name never used it before but heard it works well on all types of bare metal.
I wonder if it would work on rust metal? Ya know... patina.

You can do it by yourself Fred. Need to run that hook up a couple links forward to get the right angle and put a bolt in there to keep it from slipping. Take your time.
I agree. If you have load leveler it's even easier. I put my combo in with this setup from Harbor Freight.
20180425_195609.jpg
20180515_110518.jpg

3/4 ton Capacity Heavy Duty Load Leveler
It was easy but slow because it was a one man show. LOL. You just have to change the angle as you slide into place. I won't ever swap another engine without it. I'd help if I were closer and there wasn't a winter storm going on. LOL
Good luck, Steve.

I agree. If you have load leveler it's even easier. I put my combo in with this setup from Harbor Freight.
View attachment 1715430977 View attachment 1715430978
It was easy but slow because it was a one man show. LOL. You just have to change the angle as you slide into place. I won't ever swap another engine without it. I'd help if I were closer and there wasn't a winter storm going on. LOL
Good luck, Steve.
Yep. Need to get one of those. Havent had much problem without one though. Some day. LOL

Fred , I can't tell looking at the pic in #272 but if your dist and cap are already installed, I myself would take it back out so you don't mess it up on the install. Looking Good

View attachment 1715430977 View attachment 1715430978
Good luck, Steve.
Nice idea and if you lived closer Id take you up on the help and make a nice steak dinner for sure.

Fred , I can't tell looking at the pic in #272 but if your dist and cap are already installed, I myself would take it back out so you don't mess it up on the install. Looking Good
Gonna take the dist. out it's already marked good call AL.

Yep. Need to get one of those. Havent had much problem without one though. Some day. LOL
Yea been doing everything old school BP I think all the new tools are great but no harbor freight here closest is 300 miles away.

Hey Fred when you plan to put in the engine ? I could come up to help. I need to clear some snow & do church Sunday, but could drive up Sun aft or Mon

Hey Fred when you plan to put in the engine ? I could come up to help. I need to clear some snow & do church Sunday, but could drive up Sun aft or Mon
Hey Gary would enjoy the company. Looks like I am working next week so not sure when but if you can I can let you know a few days in advance. Thanks..

Hey Gary would enjoy the company. Looks like I am working next week so not sure when but if you can I can let you know a few days in advance. Thanks..
Sounds good. I'm free this week until Sat. Going to Bison game then. Horns up. Then free Sun and following week.

Sounds good. I'm free this week until Sat. Going to Bison game then. Horns up. Then free Sun and following week.
Great I need you to look at a few things on my car when you come over you got about the same set up as me and know more about it than me. Thanks Gary.

Well Fred, I finely got logged into this forum, seems my main email kept me from receiving my confirmation (spam filter i think) Your car is looking good. I wish we lived closer, I would be happy to trade mechanical work for body work. (Freds auto-body & paint work is amazing) It was great to see you last Saturday. This forum will give us a chance to share more pics and stories. well off to go put a few more hours on old grumpy (maybe when the weather gets nicer i may have it on the road)
Glad your here Craig nothing better than having a brother help me out. Sure had a great visit with you and Jerry and plan on coming back there and helping with your body and paint on the old fish.

Hmm If everything goes well on this tranny swap, I will be starting on the body work next. So i will be seeing you soon :) LOL (hoping to have it finished by summer) anyway the engine bay is complete and detailed. A little more work underneath and Vroom Vroom MOPOWERView attachment 1715431506
Looks good I'm guessing about 450 to 500 HP? Should keep up with the truck but not sure if it will pass the charger. I am jealous she looks better than I remember her back in the 70's.
-6108662287846556537.jpg

I am guessing 450+ a bit, basically the same engine as yours just a few different accessory's. should be faster than both being the weight difference. Now that its coming to an end, i am both excited (to drive it) and disappointed ( to see the battle with this grumpy old bastard come to an end) its been my garage life for 3 years, and even though it has put me through hell working on this early A. I will miss the battle. that being said. I will never modify or restore another early A body. You don't know how well you got it, working on a 1973 A body. you can find parts, and have room to work.
Yea I remember the header problem you had my biggest problem is the factory sun roof seals not finding anything that matches yet.

Yea I remember the header problem you had my biggest problem is the factory sun roof seals not finding anything that matches yet.
I thought you had the sunroof seals sorted out.

20190827_150354.jpg
20191201_192058.jpg
First photo is factory second is what I find today so have to glue it on to the pinch weld on the roof and is not thick enough to make a tight seal so will leak passed the seal. Still pulling my hair out on this one.

-
Back