From my cold, dead hands!

-
If there is a underlying reason for increased sales of manual trans builds,
It's because the newer automatic transmissions are so screwy.

Might be because people like to be "different."

Might be because they can get better gas mileage.

I have noticed as of recent that the new automatic trans is. Ery efficient and will get better mileage than a manual trans. Of course, not every model is like this. A manual will get better mileage than a auto trans if the tranny is a older ste unit.

Trending? Predictions? Oh, crystal ball, tell me what I want to know 15-20 years in the future...

They may be right, they may be wrong. I knew a lot of the younger ricer crowd wants stick. When they get older and grow a family, that might change, but the boy in the man will still long for the fun of rowing his own gears.

But the fact that stick shift sales are on again off again, kinda goes with the consumers who are buying cars that can park themselves (because backing into a parking spot is so friggin' hard!), needs cruise to be able to maintain a steady speed on the highway (people just don't know how to pedal anymore), rain sensing wipers (because it's so hard to reach down and turn on the wipers), TPMS (because the average idiot doesn't know how to check his or her own tire pressures...and thanks to Ford and/or Firestone) and a host of other things that don't make safer drivers, just lazy consumers.

Fewer and fewer are being taught how to drive the manual trans cars who in turn cant teach their children. I had to learn how to drive my stick shift or not drive at all. Its the same with changing your own oil, or changing your own tire on the side of the road!

Amen, Ramenth! Could not have said it better myself. Driving is an active process that needs one's full attention to be done properly and to be properly enjoyed.

Hey Mouser, may I assume you mean the Duster340 and not my 100hp saturn daily-driver encono-sled? :)

You guys do know that having to shift interferes with texting really bad, right?

You guys do know that having to shift interferes with texting really bad, right?

Psh. Not if you hold the wheel with your knees.

EDIT: Which, sadly, is how I eat while driving... I shouldn't be allowed on the road D:

Might be because people like to be "different."

Might be because they can get better gas mileage.

thats not necessarily true these days. i was surprised while looking around at some new 4 cyl. cars to find that in many cases the automatic is getting better mpg then the manual now. with 5 and 6 speed automatics i guess it makes a big difference.

Stick vs. Auto... I prefer Auto for daily driving, but I enjoy manual shift for hobby cars.

Regarding MPG's, the way I see some people driving sticks and autos, I'm surprised they can get around the block on a tank of gas. Being able to drive a manual shift car, and actually knowing how to operate one, are, evidently two different things.

I have noticed as of recent that the new automatic trans is. Ery efficient and will get better mileage than a manual trans. Of course, not every model is like this. A manual will get better mileage than a auto trans if the tranny is a older ste unit.

Depends on the user, too.

The only auto car I own is my '68 Newport and I keep my eyes open for a set of pedals and a hump.....

I personally think everyone should have to learn how to drive stick first because I feel you have to pay more attention to the road and therefore have to potential to be a better driver.

I honestly don't get all the complaints about driving a stick in traffic either, I drive a '71 swinger with a 4spd in traffic every day and it's no big deal, hop in my little '88 accord lxi and it's really no big deal.

Quote: You'll find a three-legged ballerina before you find me behing a slush-box!

There are many 3 legged ballerina's they are all guys though.

well I drive a truck with an 18 speed in the DC metro area and run around 400 miles a day.and wen I get in my Pu truck I love my automatic trans.....Artie

My daughter has one of the best reasons for driving a stick. When she was in college she had an old Subaru. Others would ask if they could borrow her car. She would answer"Sure, but it's a stick shift....". They would always say," OK Thanks anyway....". She loved that!

I honestly don't get all the complaints about driving a stick in traffic either, I drive a '71 swinger with a 4spd in traffic every day .

I used to think the same way until leg surgery and arthritis took it's toll. I can't handle "big" clutches anymore. That's why the 67 has a 727/ reverse/ manual shift body.

Personally, I think more people would drive sticks, if the car manufacturers offered sticks....

I used to think the same way until leg surgery and arthritis took it's toll. I can't handle "big" clutches anymore. That's why the 67 has a 727/ reverse/ manual shift body.

You should try my honda then, it's so stinken easy I can't hardly do it after driving the dart lol I will admit I cheated on the swinger it's got a lighter then factory pedal so it's not too bad. I drove my boss' 340 cuda the other day and that was a stiff clutch.

-
Back