front disc brake conversion

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi i am going to do a drum brake to disc brake conversion on my 69 formula s ragtop. Any preferences or advice? Should I buy a complete kit or should I get original spindles and go from there? I am on a tight budget..school kids, girlfriend etc. I am going to use pwr booster from my 68.

Thanks!

Check some of our members' For Sale ads and find one selling a complete '73-up disk brake set-up. You'll get everything you need at a reasonable price (typically $250-$300). Or, buy a '73-up parts car for that or not much more and swap stuff over (worked for me).

Can parts from a R, J or M model be used for this conversion? I have seen alot of different opinions on the Internet on various sites over the past few years. Any advice from board members or should I start a new thread? Sorry if I hijacked this one....

Check some of our members' For Sale ads and find one selling a complete '73-up disk brake set-up. You'll get everything you need at a reasonable price (typically $250-$300). Or, buy a '73-up parts car for that or not much more and swap stuff over (worked for me).
This would be your best route to take.Find a complete used setup or a Donor car,on the cheap.I found a 73 Swinger 318 car with disc. up front.I got all extra parts from CarQuest.(rotors,calipers,pads and new flex lines)

P.S remember to keep your master cyl. pushrod.

Thanks everyone, a parts car is definitely not an option as i already have 4 cudas....me i would love to have 7, 1 for every day of the week. none of the parts cars have db setup. There is a set of kh spindles on epay right now for $75. I didnt know if it was a good deal or not. Why would I use a 73-up db as opposed to 67-69? Is that because not quite as rare?

Just different designs.The K-H brakes have 4 piston fixed calipers and smaller rotors swedged to their small bolt pattern hubs.
Chrysler brakes are single piston floating calipers and heavier spindle mounted rotors with larger bolt pattern and lug studs.

Thanks everyone, a parts car is definitely not an option as i already have 4 cudas....me i would love to have 7, 1 for every day of the week. none of the parts cars have db setup. There is a set of kh spindles on epay right now for $75. I didnt know if it was a good deal or not. Why would I use a 73-up db as opposed to 67-69? Is that because not quite as rare?
73 up is LBP for a variety of rim choices.I,m not sure if you have LBP axels on your car?Also availability of brake parts.Hard to find earlier parts.If you have any questions involving the swap,you can PM me and I,d be glad to help.How come your not out pickerel fishing?LOL

Schools getting in the way of fishing...AGAIN!! But to be honest, I am way too stuffed to hardly even move off the couch!! I think that gravy has more density than blood!!

-
Back