Frustration with drum hub

-

Otateral

Reaction score
I picked up some new 9" drums from my 69 valiant. They didn't come with the hub and I'm having a hell of a hard time finding them. Can anybody recommend a good place? Tried autozone, rockauto, oreilly, ebay. No luck.

I picked up some new 9" drums from my 69 valiant. They didn't come with the hub and I'm having a hell of a hard time finding them. Can anybody recommend a good place? Tried autozone, rockauto, oreilly, ebay. No luck.

not likely to find them in the aftermarket since there not part of the drums, used ones won't work? they usually never go bad unless someone ran bad bearing with them

Ok i have an old school auto parts place down the street i just called them and they are trying to find the hub for you.It may take him a day or to but i have had real good luck with them with stuff like this.

I have good used 9 inch hubs if you need them PM me

just be careful not to bend the new drums when you press it all back together....

Thats what I did..now I have very shaky brakes till I can get all new..The old studs are SWEDGED in to lock them into the hub and have to be cut out or you risk bending the hub or the drum..Been there..done that.
There is some kind of swedge cutting tool, but I cant find one.

Thats what I did..now I have very shaky brakes till I can get all new..The old studs are SWEDGED in to lock them into the hub and have to be cut out or you risk bending the hub or the drum..Been there..done that.

Plus, if you don't cut them before you press them out, they can hog out the knurl in the hub and any studs pressed through in the future may be loose, allowing them to spin if someone hits them with an impact wrench.

A swedge cutter used to be a tool that every brake mechanic had in his box. Most people don't even know what one is anymore.

Here is a decent article that shows what we're talking about:
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0805clt_1967_dodge_truck_brakes_dodgeing_disaster/index1.html

Plus, if you don't cut them before you press them out, they can hog out the knurl in the hub and any studs pressed through in the future may be loose, allowing them to spin if someone hits them with an impact wrench.

A swedge cutter used to be a tool that every brake mechanic had in his box. Most people don't even know what one is anymore.

Here is a decent article that shows what we're talking about:
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0805clt_1967_dodge_truck_brakes_dodgeing_disaster/index1.html

wrjjol.jpg

Thanks for the info. Replied to PMs, everyones been very helpful.

Just for my own knowledge, this is the correct procedure?

Cut studs off hub while attached to the drum
Press the hub out of the drum
Press hub onto new drum
Put new studs on

That about right?

You don't need a swedge cutter (but it's a lot easier with one). take drum and hub off and just drill the head of the lug stud from the backside with a 1/4 then 1/2 inch bit till you get down about 3/16 or 1/4 inch, smack the rest of the head off with a chisel and drive em through from the back side. It won't bend the hub hog out the holes or ruin the drum at all and you can then put in all right hand threaded studs so the tire guys don't twist em off for ya.. I just got done swapping hubs and drums on the 66 dart and then decided to go to disc. so the drums came off again and i used the orginal hubs for the disc conversion , it was easy this time.

You can leave the studs in the hub, unless you really want to change to right-hand threads, and that would be driver's side only. Many cars besides Mopar used LH threads, so no excuse for tire guys spinning a stud. Goodyear monkeys did that to me and put it back without telling me, which I found on the highway when trying to remove the tire. I guess that is why they won't let you in the shop to watch them FU your car. I now bring the wheels in so less a tire shop can mess up.

I think swaged studs were before 1969. I don't recall my 1969 having them, but if the drums were changed, somebody already removed the swage. It was only to simplify factory installation and isn't needed with a new drum.

The way I remove a front drum is to find an remote parking lot and drop/throw the drum on the asphalt so the drum hits evenly around the sides. Repeat until the hub falls out.

No need to replace the hub unless a bearing race spun in it. That happened to me in my 69 Dart in ~1988 and I couldn't find a 9" hub in 4 junkyards in Atlanta (only 10"). Finally found one in rural TN. It is not a normal replacement part, so unlikely to find at an auto parts. Plus it would be expensive. Most mechanics would get a used one, which is why we need junkyards. The public doesn't know how the sausage is made or how their cars get fixed. When you can't find a part, try www.rockauto.com.

I have right hand threads all the way around, so maybe there would be no swedge. Would a photo of the backside of the hub help? Only got one of the outside of the drum. I still would like to get another hub so I'm holding out for that. I have only one car and its 5 miles to the nearest oreilly that will resurface drums. So if I had 2 working sets of drums/hubs, I could get one resurfaced while the other is on the car.

I've got the new drums, with the old ones still on the car. But they need resurfacing and would rather not pay the shop labor cost everytime I replace the brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_20120712_102653.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 265
Those are swedged, I can tell just by looking. Maybe someone needed one drum, and bought a RIGHT HAND drum and hub from a junkyard

Swedge cutter looked like a deep hole saw, cuts the swedge donut right off flush with the stud and then it could be pressed out without damaging the knurl. Get then out from the back like posted, just dont press the swedge back through the hub.

-
Back