fuel tank sending unit

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok new sending unit in tank.Tank was bone dry I put about 2 galons of gas it it to get it running but my gague reads nothing.I tryed grounding the back of the unit nothing.If I ground the wire to the sending unit the gague moves all the way full.any thing to try.Do you think 2 galons of gas is not enough in the tank for a reading?

I think you need a little more gas. On my car I can put in about 4-5 gallons and it barely reads 1/8 tank. If that doesn't work pull out the sending unit hook it up and run it up by hand and see if there is a reading.

The unit's easy to pull from the front of the tank, unlike my Dodge van where you have to pull the whole tank. Sometimes you can fix the sending units if you're lucky. I have found bent wiper arms or various corrosion issues which were fixable. Get it on the bench and check it with your ohmmeter; it should read fairly low resistance and vary throughout the wiper movement. Make sure the pickup screen is intact and be sure to reinstall the ground strap near the tank properly too.

my tank was bone dry on the scamp, and I put 5 gallons in, and it just moved a tad off E.

i was on the assumption my sender was faulty when.......:read2: i got my multimeter<put on conntinuity/beep> one test lead on good earth/ground on car, the other on metal fuel pipe from sender. should beep, mine didnt so ran extra earth wire and now great:cheers: prior to this filled tank........and filled.hmmmm and filled and got wet feet=P~

At switch on the pointer should atleast look alive. It would move from its home possition to the empty mark. They were designed to show empty at 2 or 3 gallons before empty depending on tank shape and level.
People ignored them so the low fuel lamp was added to beg attention.
My dad puts far too much faith in the Lincolns' thing that will display "18 miles to empty".

-
Back