Fuel tank vent in trunk

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
I have a question/concern after installing my new fuel tank vent. See attached pic, I ran hard line and everything is pretty solid from trunk floor to the mount higher up in the trunk (no movement). Now when the car is rolling down the road going over bumps and such, is there any concern with this? Just wondering if the trunk will flex when going over bumps?

66A5A495-5C38-4063-A33F-84ED4144B2FC.jpeg

Thats a fancy vent! Whats the back story on this? My vent just goes up from the filler pipe, then down past the trunk floor to the underbody.

After looking at that, all all that I can say is , WHY? Eternal optimist.

Last edited:
Maybe that is a "filter" and the second line goes out to the outside. The big thing I see here is you did not leave any strain relief. "I would expect" that the top lip of the trunk can move in relation to the trunk floor. Even 1/8" in that case is going to eventually fracture one of the tubes.

If this vent canister plumbed to the motor to burn of excess vapor? To me, it looks like you have the potential to have a liquid fuel reservoir as the gas vapors return to liquid form inside the can. I think we're all asking what is that cans function?

Ok, so the original charcoal canister got tossed. 2 much vent is the company that makes this canister and one of the lines comes from the tank vent and the other line is open ended with a 40 micron filter. The 2 fittings on the trunk floor are bulkhead fittings.

The 2 much vent canister is higher than the filler so will rarely see any liquid fuel depending on how full the tank is and driving down hill etc. Supposed to almost eliminate any fuel odours in the garage.

If this vent canister plumbed to the motor to burn of excess vapor? To me, it looks like you have the potential to have a liquid fuel reservoir as the gas vapors return to liquid form inside the can. I think we're all asking what is that cans function?
The canister is a remote vent canister. It has an inlet from the tank and an outlet to open end with 40 micron filter installed.

If you are happy with it, and it works, it is what it is. For me, it does not look very automotive, and I would not want it standing in the back of the trunk like that. Loose stuff in the trunk could hit it or you fill in the blank.
Good luck with it!

just on the flexing issue, the copper lines should have a 360* loop in them.
better yet braided hose and AN fittings

but I dont want the canister inside the car either.

Last edited:
I agree with the braided hose option, and already have the AN fittings installed. I think the 2 much vent is actually a pretty cool idea for a modern muscle car (not even close to stock). And most early A body MOPAR vents that I know of are plumbed into the trunk from factory in one way or another

I have a question/concern after installing my new fuel tank vent. See attached pic, I ran hard line and everything is pretty solid from trunk floor to the mount higher up in the trunk (no movement). Now when the car is rolling down the road going over bumps and such, is there any concern with this? Just wondering if the trunk will flex when going over bumps?

View attachment 1715726492

think I`d pull that sucker off, and put a couple coils in the line up hi, and run it back down thru the trunk floor, ''no fumes in trunk , still be like a roll over valve .

That makes me scratch my head even more

Put that charcoal can somewhere in the fender well

Shoot, put it in the engine bay like MA Mopar did, but in the trunk?
There is definitely no charcoal in the can, prior to installing I had a good look inside and basically just a tube inside the outlet port that goes up high in the can so if the can ever gets fuel inside it will drain back to the tank through the tank port

my original '65 vapor line left the filler right behind the fender flange, went up about 3 inches crossed over and then dove down through a rubber filler neck seal to the underbody. Now the raised portion makes sense.

Back to the original question about the trunk flexing.....So I laid in the trunk and had my helper bounce the car up and down and side to side while I observed the vent canister, hard lines and mounting bracket and I don’t see any movement or flex in the trunk that I should be concerned with, we rocked the car pretty good too! Still, I like the idea of braided PTFE hose but for now until I get the parts it should be good to go

Back to the original question about the trunk flexing.....So I laid in the trunk and had my helper bounce the car up and down and side to side while I observed the vent canister, hard lines and mounting bracket and I don’t see any movement or flex in the trunk that I should be concerned with, we rocked the car pretty good too! Still, I like the idea of braided PTFE hose but for now until I get the parts it should be good to go
If you cut the braided hoses a couple of inches long then things can flex all they want. I dont think there would be much flexing anyway as you said.

Looks like the makings of a "Bomb" in the trunk. Potential for fuel vapors and air to mix in the trunk.

Ignition source: in trunk plunger light switch. Be careful opening the trunk.

Time to re-think . . .

The canister is a remote vent canister. It has an inlet from the tank and an outlet to open end with 40 micron filter installed.
That will probably work okay but I think it would be better if you used flexible lines. And the lines don't need to be very big, #3 or #4 will be fine. There isn't much air flowing thru the vent.

-
Back