Fuel type

-

lens65valiant

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 318 cui with a 4 bbl edelbrock carb, should i be using the highest grade/ premium gasoline, she seems to spit the premium out, running lean, im very new to the world of carbs

Need more info? Stock 318 or highly modified? if modified, what mods?

What does this mean exactly? 'spit the premium out, running lean'

That is some new jargon LOL

Unless it is a highly modified 318, it probably has around 8:1 compression so premium gas is certainly not in order.

I have edelbrock 4 bbl carb, edelbrock manifold and headers, performance exhaust, sorry forgot to mention that

Well if you have not changed heads and the pistons to a higher compression ratio, then RRR is right.... CR is low and no issue with lower octane.

Again, if you can better explain the symptoms/problems, that would help.

I have edelbrock 4 bbl carb, edelbrock manifold and headers, performance exhaust, sorry forgot to mention that

Carburetors, intake and headers have zero to do with which fuel you run.

Here's your answer;
If it doesn't detonate on regular, then it is regular compatible.
If it does detonate, your tune may be off.
So you switch to whatever fuel keeps detonation away; or, you attempt to tune it for the lessor octane gas.
If power loss is experienced with the new tune, then you have to revisit your priorities.

Back to the top.
Wait I got a funny. Eliminate the secondaries, put 4.10s in it, burn moose-piss

Last edited:
I run premium in my lawnmower. Gas today is crap. For the extra few cents get premium. If it's available near you get the ethanol free.

Ethanol free is becoming increasingly available in the North Carolina area I am in. Not sure if it is the farming season or what. It seems that I am seeing signs at a lot of stations

-
Back