Future Motor of the Drag Truck, and a cool ole' Dude

-
The later motor home engines had moly rings. If taken care of they had very little cylinder wear. Dont know about the earlier ones.

I have a 73 440 and a 75 440 both have forged crank and 6 pack rods. One damper has a smaller weight than a cast crank engine the other has several holes drilled on one side of the damper with no weight.

The later motor home engines had moly rings. If taken care of they had very little cylinder wear. Dont know about the earlier ones.
Appreciate the info :)

Well???...
LOL... no info. Maybe by the end of the week. Busy Busy.....
man-running-light-skin-tone.png

Last edited:
:realcrazy: Seriously considering ProMaxx heads. Sale on right now - 978.00 for fully loaded pair of heads. These aren't the shockers, they are the Maxx. Looks to be an awesome street head. Flow 278 @ .500 lift! (the shockers flow 305 @ .500). I'm close to pulling the trigger on these. I bet I could sell my Pro Comps for the cost of these.
:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:
I need to figure out if the stock rocker shaft and valve train work with these heads. I believe so....

adjustable rocker arms for a solid tappet cam ?
It's cheaper to do it the first time.
I believe you will need a solid cam to get out of the 12.s.

adjustable rocker arms for a solid tappet cam ?
It's cheaper to do it the first time.
I believe you will need a solid cam to get out of the 12.s.
the Maxx are set up to use stock valve train. I think they are a lot like the E-Street from Edelbrock.

the Maxx are set up to use stock valve train. I think they are a lot like the E-Street from Edelbrock.
and.... but your not using stamped rockers, are you ?
A solid camshaft should be on the parts list.

and.... but your not using stamped rockers, are you ?
A solid camshaft should be on the parts list.
in all honesty, I don't really have a parts list yet. Exploring options. Problem is, the budget takes a big hit if I buy new valve train. If I can pull between 475-500 hp with hydraulic cam, that will most likely be the way I go. I need 100 hp more than a factory 440 Magnum. I figure headers and a better intake/carb will be 35 of it. I need 65 hp from the heads and cam. Should be easy? Torque curve will be really important. I'm watching torque as much as hp

I need to try and get this straight...
you have two perfectly good working dusters either one of which could be turned into something fast..
You bought a truck he bought a small block Magnum you bought a big block 440 you bought brand new aluminum small block heads you bought brand new aluminum big block heads you bought at least one brand new aluminum intake manifold and now you're talkin about budget and the thought of buying yet another set of aluminum heads...:realcrazy:...
:wtf:..

I need to try and get this straight...
you have two perfectly good working dusters either one of which could be turned into something fast..
You bought a truck he bought a small block Magnum you bought a big block 440 you bought brand new aluminum small block heads you bought brand new aluminum big block heads you bought at least one brand new aluminum intake manifold and now you're talkin about budget and the thought of buying yet another set of aluminum heads...:realcrazy:...
I bought 2 intakes that fit either magnum or LA. I have a brand new Eddy RPM intake for a magnum too, still in the box.

I'm thinking just by rockers and solid lifter cam for the big block you have and heads you have?
That would push the budget. You do realize that the BB SM heads I bought are the Max Wedge style, meaning the ports are raised. That means I would need offset rockers, pushrods, etc.. Also, these head (copies of Eddy Victor heads) are meant for 7000 rpm motors, which mine will not be. I need a flatter torque curve... but, not throwing them off the shelf yet though...

Last edited:
I would have thought the cam would have dictated the torque curve more show than the heads? And yes I was saying the offset rockers and pushrods which pushrods couldn't be any more expensive than buying them for everything else..

I would have thought the cam would have dictated the torque curve more show than the heads? And yes I was saying the offset rockers and pushrods which pushrods couldn't be any more expensive than buying them for everything else..
Cam does dictate, but so do heads. Matching components are key. You don't want a cam that goes from idle to 5500 and heads that go from 3500 to 7000, just not a good combo. Then you'll pick a converter for heads or cam???? Bad recipe. I was thinking I could sell the Pro Comps for the same money as the Pro Maxx or E-Streets

I'll take my time and carefully pick the pieces. Also watching for the best deal. Never know, I may use the pro comp heads, but I need to learn more at this point. But what I learned so far is the E-street or Pro Maxx "Maxx" would probably be the perfect fit for what I'm after. Would have more bottom end and a flatter torque curve, just what you want in a street truck.

I think back to plan A..
Strip the block and take it in for a block prep end call 440 source and get the correct parts coming.. that will match the Speedmaster heads..
Then we'll get a cam core down to Ken Oregon cam grinding and get some gnarly solid lifter grind going...

I think back to plan A..
Strip the block and take it in for a block prep end call 440 source and get the correct parts coming.. that will match the Speedmaster heads..
Then we'll get a cam core down to Ken Oregon cam grinding and get some gnarly solid lifter grind going...
Excellent plan if I throw the budget out the window. Remember, still need gears and converter. Remember, we all know we can put the truck into 10's, but I'm trying to see how fast I can go on a limit.

Cam does dictate, but so do heads. Matching components are key. You don't want a cam that goes from idle to 5500 and heads that go from 3500 to 7000, just not a good combo. Then you'll pick a converter for heads or cam???? Bad recipe. I was thinking I could sell the Pro Comps for the same money as the Pro Maxx or E-Streets

Better heads and less cam always makes more power.

-
Back