Future Motor of the Drag Truck, and a cool ole' Dude

-
Save your breath he's got 35 years experience...
LOL... follow your own advice. I appreciate all advice and info (and actually consider some of it seriously), but in this thread I shared the buying experience of "the future motor of the drag truck". I didn't ask how to build it.
:thumbsup:

I'll also use this thread to show the build of the 440 as it progresses

Last edited:
Better heads and less cam always makes more power.
Better heads with more cam makes even more power...… The biggest reason J par went from 119 mph down to 112 mph, they pulled a lot of cam size out.

LOL... follow your own advice. I appreciate all advice and info (and actually consider some of it seriously), but in this thread I shared the buying experience of "the future motor of the drag truck". I didn't ask how to build it.
:thumbsup:

I'll also use this thread to show the build of the 440 as it progresses
Better heads with more cam makes even more power...… The biggest reason J par went from 119 mph down to 112 mph, they pulled a lot of cam size out.
So is this thread about your 440 or about why you think my car lost mph?....

So is this thread about your 440 or about why you think my car lost mph?....
using your car as an example to YR's comment about the 440. It's not a bad thing.

Again with two dusters I don't understand buying a truck Magnum small block a big block brand new small block heads brand new big block heads to small block intake manifolds Lord knows what other parts and then we've got to talk about budget...
With all the money spent you could have had one nice motor instead of piles of parts...

Again with two dusters I don't understand buying a truck Magnum small block a big block brand new small block heads brand new big block heads to small block intake manifolds Lord knows what other parts and then we've got to talk about budget...
With all the money spent you could have had one nice motor instead of piles of parts...
I never thought of that...…

I think it's a example used out of context..
And using your own words it's a combination of things not just one thing...
well, I'm not going to take the time and explain to YR about port velocity and RPM operating range, and all the blah blah blah. Don't need 7 pages of what him and I already know.

well, I'm not going to take the time and explain to YR about port velocity and RPM operating range, and all the blah blah blah. Don't need 7 pages of what him and I already know.
You're definitely in the wrong business..
You should be one of these machine shop gurus on here...
I'm sure you guys could write 14 pages of what you think you know...

You're definitely in the wrong business..
You should be one of these machine shop gurus on here...
I'm sure you guys could write 14 pages of what you think you know...
LOL. I would fail. I've never worked in a machine shop. I'm not even a shade tree mechanic because I work in the sun in the driveway - Sunny Day Wrenching ? That would be a good name for me if I was in business... :D

LOL. I would fail. I've never worked in a machine shop. I'm not even a shade tree mechanic because I work in the sun in the driveway - Sunny Day Wrenching ? That would be a good name for me if I was in business... :D

The sun is out here! How about in Illinois? GET TO WORK....
Yes I am in the house, but its lunch time.
I will be out working in a few minutes.

I should have said what I said differently, even though I know you know what I’m saying.

If you take an engine (I’ll use my junker for an example) and set it up to say shift at 7k (max power 6500-6600) and using ported OE heads, it takes 255 at .050 on a 105 LSA to get what I wanted.

If I did nothing but changed to W2 heads and intake manifold, and tried to use the same cam, it would make max power higher than 6500-6600 and the shift speed would go up as well, and, I’d give up some shift RPM power, and with a 4 speed that’s a real killer.

But, if I changed the cam timing up a bit, maybe knock off 7-8 degrees at .050 and moved the LSA to 107-108 I’d keep the same max power and shift RPM, but gain power everywhere.

That’s what I’m saying. I always tell people you are better off with an upgraded head and less cam timing for the same RPM range...of course within reason.

Those heads are not max wedge sized ports.
Any std port intake will fit just fine.

And the rockers they use are pretty cheap from SM.
Currently on sale for under $150.
Mopar Chrysler BB 383 440 1.6 Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms & Shafts (Offset .450)

475-500 STP crank HP isn’t going to get that truck into the 10’s, and still meet your other roadworthiness criteria.
They are still being considered, and I may use them. This motor isn't being built next month or anything, so time is on our side :)

The sun is out here! How about in Illinois? GET TO WORK....
Yes I am in the house, but its lunch time.
I will be out working in a few minutes.
Sun is out, and so was I. Son's Scat pack is back on the road, we replaced the harmonic balancer.

Last edited:
MW gasket on PC/SM Victor style head:

EA845C6C-FEFE-4E68-9B31-7F9F09EF18AD.jpeg

Showing the extended runner of the PC Victor style head as somehow being a MW design is incorrect.
Those heads are std port raised runner heads..... which an actual Mopar MW head is not, on either count.
The extended runner is there because of the raised port to facilitate the use of “normal” intake manifolds without the addition of spacer plates, like what was required for stage 6 heads.

PC head next to an actual “MW design” head:

B08CA726-AB62-4601-B5F2-25C00734E78E.jpeg

48BEA2EC-30F0-479D-9067-65ACD19FBED7.jpeg

CE81933B-12CD-4582-8868-77091A113F52.jpeg

11F82F4C-68D9-4EAD-96A4-FC7D321715A2.jpeg

Showing the extended runner of the PC Victor style head as somehow being a MW design is incorrect.
Those heads are std port raised runner heads..... which an actual Mopar MW head is not, or either count.
The extended runner is there to facilitate the use of “normal” intake manifolds without the addition of spaver plates, like what was required for stage 6 heads.

PC head next to an actual “MW design” head:

View attachment 1715513271

View attachment 1715513272

View attachment 1715513273

View attachment 1715513275
I agree. If you read the speedmaster head advertisement, I don't recall them mentioning the extended runner, or other requirements. When I bought them, I thought I was getting the RPM copy. I really wasn't all too concerned as my plan really wasn't to use them, just sell them. But, I also thought if a project came up, like putting a BB in a Duster, I'd have the heads already. Not that they can't work, but it caught me off guard.

And, I really don't need massive lift to get my numbers. .520 or so should really be all that's needed, so what the heads flow up to .500 lift is most important to me. When you look at cars like ValiantRacing, he's under .500 lift on a 318 and running 11.7's in street form with Eddy heads. Why not a little over .500 lift on a 440 (120 more cubic inches) and hope to gain .8 tenths? Wouldn't that be a 10.9 ? Sure, I'll be about 300 lbs heavier and more wind resistance, but, I mean, I should be in the ball park..... Unless 440's are just boat anchors that won't cross the street to save their own life (my brothers old GTX told me different if my memory serves me correct)... I've owned a couple big blocks, and pulled the heads and stuff, but never "built" a big block. I hope it don't make me wish I'd had built the 318 that's in the truck now... LOL :D

Last edited:
Which would be better suited towards your needs is for you to decide, but from purely a “horsepower potential” standpoint, especially if minimal work would be done to both...... the Victor style head is the clear winner between those two.

There’s really no point in continuing to deliberate what this or that combo will run in your truck.
I know what it took to get my 3670lb B body into the tens..... in terms of horsepower, gears, converter....... and it was pretty far removed from what you’re planning.
So, rather than continue to butt heads on it...... and since I know you’ve been playing with this stuff for many years...... I’m just going to let you find your own path....... just like I did when I decided I wanted to run 10’s.

What you’re outlining for a combo doesn’t sound like something that would go 10’s in a long bed truck to me........ but that’s why it’s interesting. You’re going to go about it in a different manner than I would.

I just wanted to point out that the heads were not MW size, in case that was the main reason you didn’t want to use them.

Which would be better suited towards your needs is for you to decide, but from purely a “horsepower potential” standpoint, especially if minimal work would be done to both...... the Victor style head is the clear winner between those two.
Totally agree, more potential. Again, I'll map it all out over time.

-
Back