Future of collector cars

-
Oh man, another one of these threads. Every year one like this pops up.

The high dollar cars will always be collected. The lesser cars not so much. Hell even a good amount of the older crowd are selling off to buy modern muscle. Can't blame them either. While these dinosaurs are fun to a point and good looking they just can't compare to modern muscle in any part of performance along with comfort.

I am the same as you, love seeing the old iron on the road and yes, I have to wonder if the younger guys will be interested in the hobby like our generation is. I'm 58 and have had close to 140 cars, trucks and motorcycles in my life. Lots of them were just ordinary drivers but I still enjoyed them as more than just transportation. Would anyone be interested in the Hondas and Toyotas that were popular in the 1990s? Maybe a few, but I really don't think many. Or today's factory hot rods, the Challengers, Chargers, Camaros or Mustangs? These modern cars are far more expensive and complicated than the ones we are familiar with. I have owned a 2013 Mustang GT and a 2011 Camaro SS, both of them were very enjoyable cars, but they didn't have the same intangible feeling that the older ones had. I called it the soul of the car, just something that was not the same in my opinion. Maybe I'm just too caught up in the 70s IDK, but I felt that the attachment was not the same.
That's funny you say that. I've always said these new cars ain't got no souls...or class!

I'm sure the Donkey Salesman thought of the Tractor what some think of EV's. My dad saw the Tractor when it started working the farms and feels there is a parallel with the EV's. It's just not there yet. But it will be....

Don't underestimate the financial power of the our youth. The young mind has an opportunity in today's world to make a nice paycheck for themselves. But they don't have the experience of going through the motions of working on cars to get a grade in school or even working on them in the garages with buddy's as even I did and I'm 51. But they do have some financial horsepower to make things happen if they get the bug.

I think the mid-grade models will be falling to the wayside price wise at one point. The rare and highend cars will be fine. The youth of today embrace technology and older cars lack it and that's one reason the resto-mods have taken off... But as I have said many times getting into this hobby for an investment is not a wise choice. Unless you got lucky and ran up on a supercar and that's the equivalent of a Lottery scratch-off ticket lol...

JW

All it's going to take is one of these green administrations to shut off the oil for gas and we are done.

I don't see that happening. Will they make it harder to have IC? Yep, and that's within 5-10 years. What I suspect may happen in regards to old cars is a new generation ditching the IC and going with an electric conversion. It's technology and youth embrace it. And that will turn off the older generation and when there is a shift in the guards or so to speak.

But I don't have a Crystal ball and could be completely wrong lol....

JW

I just turned 61 and I'm hoping we'll have gasoline available and that I'll be able to drive for another ~15 years. My kids appreciate my love for the car hobby, but they see cars as utilitarian equipment. When I die, my wife will be putting the "FOR SALE" sign under the windshield wiper. I'm going to enjoy what I can as long as I can.

Oh man, another one of these threads. Every year one like this pops up.

The high dollar cars will always be collected. The lesser cars not so much. Hell even a good amount of the older crowd are selling off to buy modern muscle. Can't blame them either. While these dinosaurs are fun to a point and good looking they just can't compare to modern muscle in any part of performance along with comfort.
I do tend to agree, but they certainly do compare in the fun department.

And we're total slugs in every way compared to modern muscle.
Ok, 2 guys I worked for have Hellcats. But when I say Soul, I don't mean some unstyled, non chromed ( I know chrome don't get ya home), plastic cheap crap. Heck, compared to the 66 Sat I had, the 74 Duster is kinda cheap... but the new cars ain't all that.

Electric cars are coming in some form. Right now they are still a small minority of the market.

Some info from a search.
A BloombergNEF study reveals that the global electric vehicle market size and adoption will grow in the long run. The report shows that electric vehicles (EVs) currently make up only 3% of car sales worldwide. By 2025 electric vehicles (EVs) will reach 10% of global passenger vehicle sales, growing to 28% in 2030 and 58% by 2040.

If the above numbers are close, about 60% of car sales in about 20 years? Doesn’t sound like something that I will care about at 66.

Remember Model Ts, gassers & street rods? Who wants them now? Do you see any at car shows? Mostly museum pieces I guess. The generation that cared about them is about gone. Our cars will be around for awhile yet, then a similar thing will happen. Get prepared for a lot more rice rockets.

Just my opinion…..

GM says they are going to only produce EVs after 2035. Ford is producing EVs now and just might beat GMs timeline. I have no idea what Chrysler is up to other that producing hellcats.

I'm old enough to remember the seventies, the last premium fuel automobiles came off the line in 1971, by 1978 premium was damn hard to find.

EV this EV that. BULL ****. I'll tell you when EVs will take over. When ALL FIVE HUNDRED THIRTY FIVE members of congress will get on EV airplanes and fly across the country, that's when EV travel will be a reality. Ain't happenin in our lifetime.

GM says they are going to only produce EVs after 2035. Ford is producing EVs now and just might beat GMs timeline. I have no idea what Chrysler is up to other that producing hellcats.

I'm old enough to remember the seventies, the last premium fuel automobiles came off the line in 1971, by 1978 premium was damn hard to find.
You mean Daimler? No...Fiat? No.....Stellantis? Who will it be next week?

Ok, 2 guys I worked for have Hellcats. But when I say Soul, I don't mean some unstyled, non chromed ( I know chrome don't get ya home), plastic cheap crap. Heck, compared to the 66 Sat I had, the 74 Duster is kinda cheap... but the new cars ain't all that.

I couldn't care less about chrome. Those 60,s and 70's cars had no "soul" at first either. It's earned over years of ownership. Modern muscle will/is the same way. The kids that grew up with modern muscle will gravitate to them as they age and can afford to get in the game. Hell all they really know about classic muscle is that they professional park at car shows well and even those numbers are dropping and modern muscle is taking over. Think about most classics. How many are younger generations actually seeing out there driving on a regular basis? Not many.

I see all of the above at our local cruise in and others.

Ya see a few here and there. Gassers have become more popular in recent years. Stock model a you'll see here and there. I see more modern muscle at shows/cruises then gassers or model A's these days.

I have a ‘73 Dart Sport and ‘73 Duster. I told my son I was leaving them to his two boys, he said the hell with that, those are mine. When I told him I was going to buy another Vette, he asked new or classic, I told him new. He said that was more my thing than his. He’d rather have a classic. My nephew has a ‘69 Road Runner sitting in his shop to restore. His younger brother has had more muscle cars than I have. I see it slowing down some, but not going away.

I wonder what is considered young regarding this thread. Are we talking people in their 20s, 30s, 40s?

I’m 68, and grew up in the muscle car era. I’m guessing anyone under 40 falls into the younger class.

As a younger person(28, and started at 24), I’ve made the following observations of the “younger” folks (and this truly may not reflect everyone).

They don’t know what it takes to start the hobby. Like, that they can start with a 1500 dollar heap and get it running, and try to enjoy the process of starting from little. You don’t have to start with an iconic muscle car.

Most people my age have no clue how to go about working on a car. Learning is scary, and takes screwing up. There’s a lot of time and money involved.

The sheer unknown of it all is overwhelming.

Those that are remotely interested in the hobby are into restomods, swapping Subaru engines in their bug, or love suggesting a Cummins for my 65 Dart.

I have been fortunate to meet good folks who have experience and provide support through the unknown. Also had good opportunities for cheap car, parts, etc.

I try to encourage people to consider the hobby, but I understand how/why it can be hard to take on.

I’ve said this before, and I think it rings true. There once was a natural progression where you learned how to use the lawnmower, learned how to start it, where to put the gas, and how to check the oil. Next step was a mini bike, then a dirt bike, then a car, and back to the cycle when you bought your own house and needed to mow the lawn. You had kids and showed them how to mow and the whole cycle started again.

Nowadays, we have a lawn service, first step in understanding internal combustion, gone. No mower, no mini bike, because there’s nowhere to ride it, and the neighbors call the cops if you do. No motorcycle because of no skills with internal combustion, or riding and maintaining your transportation. Then a car, almost maintenance free, and too complicated to fix most things when you don’t have the above skills. All cause Dad was too lazy to mow the lawn!

Heres my son, 12 at the time, showing off his first burnout, using his sisters car! And the both of them as teenagers, just back from driving the GTX. Yes, my son mows the lawn.

751277A3-DB29-4188-96E6-83402BF9C7CC.jpeg

E878661B-3C81-413A-8910-ADDA43332E8B.jpeg

D44E8EF7-DC64-4438-9849-AF52274943BA.jpeg

3D262390-BB21-4CFE-A059-671604FE92EB.jpeg

08623789-17F3-432D-B265-117835EAFC0E.jpeg

-
Back