Future of collector cars

-
I’ve said this before, and I think it rings true. There once was a natural progression where you learned how to use the lawnmower, learned how to start it, where to put the gas, and how to check the oil. Next step was a mini bike, then a dirt bike, then a car, and back to the cycle when you bought your own house and needed to mow the lawn. You had kids and showed them how to mow and the whole cycle started again.

Nowadays, we have a lawn service, first step in understanding internal combustion, gone. No mower, no mini bike, because there’s nowhere to ride it, and the neighbors call the cops if you do. No motorcycle because of no skills with internal combustion, or riding and maintaining your transportation. Then a car, almost maintenance free, and too complicated to fix most things when you don’t have the above skills. All cause Dad was too lazy to mow the lawn!

Heres my son, 12 at the time, showing off his first burnout, using his sisters car! And the both of them as teenagers, just back from driving the GTX. Yes, my son mows the lawn.

View attachment 1715842987

View attachment 1715842988

View attachment 1715842990

View attachment 1715842991

View attachment 1715842992
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That right there is pretty much how I grew up. Except for the 67 GTX.

Before too long, the modern "muscle" car will be depreciated out and cheap, just like the 4th gen Corvette is now, the 84-92 Vettes can be bought from a few thousand to around $8-10,000 for a low mi pretty much perfect example. That is a cool car, goes around corners like on rails, and decent speed..cheap!
Sure the HellCat perfect example will be expensive all the way into the future, EC cars or not, but the ragged out "builder" Challenger will be cheap hotrodding, one they have reached the botom of the depreciation cycle.
I agree that the lower to mid end of our beloved Mopars in the future may have a much small audience may get cheaper, but so what. We will drive, play with, work on our old cars in most cases till we kick the bucket.
Like RRR once said, " all great men are DEAD, and I ain't been feeling too well myself!" :lol::poke::BangHead:

I couldn't care less about chrome. Those 60,s and 70's cars had no "soul" at first either. It's earned over years of ownership. Modern muscle will/is the same way. The kids that grew up with modern muscle will gravitate to them as they age and can afford to get in the game. Hell all they really know about classic muscle is that they professional park at car shows well and even those numbers are dropping and modern muscle is taking over. Think about most classics. How many are younger generations actually seeing out there driving on a regular basis? Not many.
Eh, personally, I despise the plastic cheapness these new cars have. And they all look like they came from a Transformers movie extra set..except for the Challengers

I’m guessing anyone under 40 falls into the younger class.

Probably not far off. I'd say someone who grew up after classic muscle got popular and shot up in price. For mopars I'd say that was mid to late 80's. In the mid 80's the fox body mustang and Buick grand national were all you saw at the track on street night. Kids that grew up with them are more likely to gravitate towards those cars rather the classic muscle. Now that fox bodies have started to go nuts they will move to something else. The s197 mustang came out in 05 and ignited everything all over, it caused the challenge
Eh, personally, I despise the plastic cheapness these new cars have. And they all look like they came from a Transformers movie extra set..except for the Challengers

You are a minority then. Challenger it way too fat looking for me.

I’m just wondering what my 68 GTS h code big black car four-speed is gonna be worth in the future
With the rate of inflation these days, about 1.5 million.

Probably not far off. I'd say someone who grew up after classic muscle got popular and shot up in price. For mopars I'd say that was mid to late 80's. In the mid 80's the fox body mustang and Buick grand national were all you saw at the track on street night. Kids that grew up with them are more likely to gravitate towards those cars rather the classic muscle. Now that fox bodies have started to go nuts they will move to something else. The s197 mustang came out in 05 and ignited everything all over, it caused the challenge

You are a minority then. Challenger it way too fat looking for me.
It's definitely fat. But at least it had traditional lines, and doesn't look like a Japanese Robot

We recently sold three cars that I wanted out of. I feared the market on these cars was dropping and not returning. Like other have said, all the folks who like these cars are dead." And I agree.

The three cars were

1932 Model A
50S style build.
(Replaced with 63 Nova)

1927 Model T
Race car
(Replaced with 70 Challenger)

1965 Plymouth Belvedere
Altered Gasser
(Not replaced)

In my opinion the market on those cars is dropping and it aint gonna return for a long time.

I look at them like custom harleys. Look how bad they have tanked in price.

Personally I see A body cars only going up in value for the near future.

Has anyone written songs about any of these new cars?

There once was a natural progression where you learned how to use the lawnmower, learned how to start it, where to put the gas, and how to check the oil. Next step was a mini bike, then a dirt bike, then a car,

That depends where they grew up. Not everyone grew up like that. I'll use my father as an example. He was born in 1947 and never had any of that ****. He lived in a area of pa with tiny lawn. Used a motor less push lawn mower, so no "understanding" of an internal combustion engine. No mini bike, no dirt bike and when he finally bought a car he didn't work on it. I'm sure he knew how to put gas in it and check the oil but not much else. Many many kids never experienced that stuff.

Hell many modern cars don't have a dipstick so no more checking the oil. Lol.

My Dad wasn’t a hot rod car guy, but he’s was a car guy. Growing up, his brother and him would buy old cars and fix them up to drive, and resell. He bought a service station when I was 9, and I pretty much grew up there. He taught me how to change oil, do grease jobs, change tires, and fix flats, do tune ups, etc. Pulled my first engine at 14, and did my first overhaul at 16. When I got my first car, if something broke, he wouldn’t fix it. I had to, with his guidance. Learned a lot from my Dad.

Everything runs in cycles, some short, some long. Beef, collector cars, fertilizer, you name it.
IF I live long enough, I will be able to afford a 32 Ford hotrod 50s style. Doubt I will make it!!:rofl:

Oh man, another one of these threads. Every year one like this pops up.

The high dollar cars will always be collected. The lesser cars not so much. Hell even a good amount of the older crowd are selling off to buy modern muscle. Can't blame them either. While these dinosaurs are fun to a point and good looking they just can't compare to modern muscle in any part of performance along with comfort.
That's part of the whole point......if you want that feeling of independence and being inside something that isn't perfect, it's raw and rough but built by men then you enjoy your genuine muscle car era cars for all the things that they lack, or at least in your opinion. The modern cars are by no means perfect either......the seats in a lot of cases are more designed for an 18 year olds body and more purpose built and it wasn't for comfort, also the peripheral view out of any of the modern hot rods sucks ***......can't see out of them. The modern cars are refined performance in my opinion with air conditioning, power seats, power brakes, air bag systems, etc. but that's not what I desire when I slide into a muscle car era car.......

I couldn't care less about chrome. Those 60,s and 70's cars had no "soul" at first either. It's earned over years of ownership. Modern muscle will/is the same way. The kids that grew up with modern muscle will gravitate to them as they age and can afford to get in the game. Hell all they really know about classic muscle is that they professional park at car shows well and even those numbers are dropping and modern muscle is taking over. Think about most classics. How many are younger generations actually seeing out there driving on a regular basis? Not many.
Wrong......the cost of keeping a modern vehicle in full functioning condition will prohibit that kind of thinking moving forward.......ONLY the very very few quote unquote modern collectable cars will be sought after and those type cars aren't the ones being driven daily.

I don't see that happening. Will they make it harder to have IC? Yep, and that's within 5-10 years. What I suspect may happen in regards to old cars is a new generation ditching the IC and going with an electric conversion. It's technology and youth embrace it. And that will turn off the older generation and when there is a shift in the guards or so to speak.

But I don't have a Crystal ball and could be completely wrong lol....

JW
The youth are stupid and useless and should be thought of and treated that way until they can prove themselves otherwise

The youth are stupid and useless and should be thought of and treated that way until they can prove themselves otherwise

They prove themselves daily. Not sure I would call the youth of today stupid but you are entitled to your own opinion.....

JW

Before too long, the modern "muscle" car will be depreciated out and cheap, just like the 4th gen Corvette is now, the 84-92 Vettes can be bought from a few thousand to around $8-10,000 for a low mi pretty much perfect example. That is a cool car, goes around corners like on rails, and decent speed..cheap!
Sure the HellCat perfect example will be expensive all the way into the future, EC cars or not, but the ragged out "builder" Challenger will be cheap hotrodding, one they have reached the botom of the depreciation cycle.
I agree that the lower to mid end of our beloved Mopars in the future may have a much small audience may get cheaper, but so what. We will drive, play with, work on our old cars in most cases till we kick the bucket.
Like RRR once said, " all great men are DEAD, and I ain't been feeling too well myself!" :lol::poke::BangHead:
Look at a normal use 5 year old modern domestic POS car and the whole thing is coming undone.....the interiors look like they have had 25 years of abuse.......they are overpriced cheap pieces of **** that will not be around in 20 years and for the most part will not be collected either and because they are junk will rightfully so be in the junk yards.

They prove themselves daily. Not sure I would call the youth of today stupid but you are entitled to your own opinion.....

JW
Prove themselves to be lazy, beyond stupid, entitled, brain dead, weak........should I go on or do you get the point?

Look at a normal use 5 year old modern domestic POS car and the whole thing is coming undone.....the interiors look like they have had 25 years of abuse.......they are overpriced cheap pieces of **** that will not be around in 20 years and for the most part will not be collected either and because they are junk will rightfully so be in the junk yards.
So how many on FABO right now making an awesome ride out of what was NOT a 60s high performance"muscle" car?? How many slant and 318 cars being built into superstar status? High HP engines, new interior, new paint, new etc!????? Just wondering and asking for my friend Bubba

-
Back