Garage heater problems!!

-
so how long does a tank of propane last?

Not sure, I have 2 100lb'ers pigtailed together. I got the propane pretty cheap, it cost $55/bottle. I probably wont use it a lot, just enough to take the chill off, Im hoping to get 2 months out of 2 bottles, but we will see. So happy, its been 5 years with no heat or hydro and this year I finally got both!!8)

Nothing like having HEAT in the shop. Oh Yea!!

Ok, went and bought and hooked up a cheap t-stat yesterday. It works amazing, I have to tighten up some draft spaces though. Today Im gonna styrofoam the overhead door and try to figure out how to insulate the roof without closing off the rafters. Any ideas on the rafters or trusses, I have to keep them open for access.

Attachments

• DSCF0287 (Medium).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 159
Hey Steve,as you seen in my garage.I stapled an old pool cover(tarp)to the rafters to keep the heat down lower.I cut an access opening in it,to beable to get up there.Even plastic will work,anything to keep the heat down.Maybe an old ceiling fan?By the way Steve,nice heater.What,s it worth,if you don,t mind me asking?

you could just insulate between the roof trusses at the rafters. Or you could do like Scott says, but do the rafters, not the joists.

Thanks guys, Im gonna start a new thread to get opinions as far as the insulating.
Scott I got the heater from TSC on sale. 30% off, I believe reg price was $649, so around around $450 plus taxes. I went with the LP and it can be swapped to NG with the conversion kit, which I bought last week for $30. Im gonna start the new thread with pics.

Thanks!!

You'll want the t-stat for sure once the garage is somewhat sealed up. Mine only runs about 50% in the really cold weather and that's keeping the garage at about 65 degrees when I'm working out there. Otherwise, I crank it down to 40 degrees if I think I'll be out there in the next day or two. The furnace is on a switched outlet, so I can tun it off completely when I want.

They make insulation with a plastic covering for pole barns. Check into that. You'll need some sort of vapor barrier.

Thanks fourspeed, t-stat is installed, now trying to figure out what to do in the ceiling, here is the link of the thread I started bout the insulating. I plan on keeping the t-stat right down as much as possible, especially when I am not in there. Just want to keep it warm enuf so $hit (aerosols, liquids etc) doesnt freeze.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=126064

Good point about the exchangers cooling off 1st before the fan shuts down!!

Just put a switch in the thermostat jumper, ope the switch and the unit thinks the t stat has quite calling for heat and it will work to cool down as it should! Any switch will work as well as twisting wires together, this is a low voltage connection so not dangerous.

One of our pellet stoves needed the t-stat jumped in no t-stat was installed....

Works great after installing cheapie t-stat, although not using it this year, no extra $$ for the propane. I am using my 220v const heater when need be.

Do you look at post dates? You just answered a year old thread. Probably got it figgered and insulated by now.LOL

LOL any help is appreciated though, whether its current or late, it may help other members. I havent insulated the roof yet though:banghead: I stapled poly up again this year

-
Back