Gas dripping into secondaries when car is off... Why?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Just something I noticed today... I turned off the car and took off my air cleaner, and I heard this gurgling noise. Then I looked into the carb, and gas was dripping into the secondaries, and then I noticed it was leaking through the gasket between the intake and carb! The bottom butterfly is closed, and I could actually see gas standing inside. I don't even thing I had the secondaries open yet.

I mean it stops eventually once the fuel pressure is gone.

Whats up with that? What does that mean?

Oh, I have a 770 Holley Street Avenger

Thanks!

So just adjust the float for the secondaries?

How do I unstick a needle or seat?

Can I take the needle and seat out to clean while the carb is still on the car?

Thanks!

The float could be sinking. If it's brass,it may have a leak. Carefully remove it from the carb and shake it. It shouldn't slosh. If it does it has fuel inside. The fiber filters can be checked by floating them in a bowl of water. If they sink you need a new one. toolman

Should the intake/carb gasket be replaced now that I saw gas leaking from it? Or should it be fine once it drys?

just a note...remove the sight plug on the side of the bowl to see the float level...in fact you should check both front and back once the car is up and running..

check float while engine is running...if you adjust the float downward with the needle and seat adjustment of top of the fuel bowl....remember the float is pushing down on the gas...the gas will want to come out of the sight plug.... as you adjust the float down bump the car to get the gas out of the bowl....then the gas level will take the float level.....

Yeah, this is a new carb... Well about 6 months old. I did adjust the front float, but not the secondaries because I haven't really used them yet (still in break in mode).
Maybe its just the float level for the secondaries then since I did lean the front out quite a bit (about 3/4 turn from how it was sent to me). It said it should be set right from the factory, but I believe it was to much.
So, to take out the needle and seat, all I have to do is completely unscrew the float adjuster and pull it out to clean it?
Sorry, don't know much about these things.
Thanks!

nothing is set correctly from the factory...lol

it could have been quiting time at the factory went they put your carb together..lol

-
Back