Generally speaking, are A-Bodies "dorky?"

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I think that these cars get respect for being capable platforms for drag racing...but in terms of the classic car world, are they considered to be totally uncool?

Honestly, it's hard to imagine James Dean rolling up in a Dart Sport or Steve McQueen chasing down bad guys behind the wheel of a hot-rodded Valiant.

While I (and most of us) love all of the A body models, the only exceptions that I suspect the general car culture considers to be "cool" would be the following:

1967-69 Barracuda
1968-69 Dart 340
1971 Duster 340

But are the rest of us driving around in the automotive version of a pocket protector? :p

Honestly, it doesn't matter what other people think...but it's worthy of looking into and understanding, IMO. :)

Thoughts?

does this look dorky? i hope not LOL
or this? don't think so..............
higgs
vbpgimage.php

does this look dorky? i hope not LOL

:glasses7:

I don't think so! That's a great looking Duster, IMO.

But... what if you parked it next to a 1968 Charger R/T or a *gag* Porsche? I just don't know what the casual observer would think.

:glasses7:

I don't think so! That's a great looking Duster, IMO.

But... what if you parked it next to a 1968 Charger R/T or a *gag* Porsche? I just don't know what the casual observer would think.
in every crowd you get the snobs and people who appreciate all cars. most die hard B Body guys shun all small block cars LOL

It's the images of years gone by. If they weren't the hi performace versions of the cars, w/ the possible exception of the Barracuda, then think about who mostly drove these cars. Grandma! That's the problem! People still think of them as a practical, low budget car driven mostly by old folks. If you had seen one driven by a young person back in the day you might think "aah they got that car from an old lady." We know the whole light car big engine concept, but the rest of the world still thinks of it as a granny car. That's why we need to build more of them & show them wrong!

well it all comes down to what i really think:

in this world you have two types of ppl: ignorant non-automotive ppl and enlightened automotive ppl.

i have a 68 dart and when im parked at the mall when im hanging out with friends.....less than a quarter of the ppl who see my car out there even have a clue what it is.

i have had ppl ask if its a lowrider, if its a chevy, if its from the 1940s....its horrible what automotively stupid ppl think....or rather dont think.

i think what your talking about is which cars have the "pop icon" status.....and your right .....most early As and most A-bodies do not have that status.

i had a young man ask me if my car has a HEMI and i said "i wish" .....it has a slant six....he said that he thought all 68 darts had HEMIs. ......WOW

so they are definately not "dorky" but a lot of our cars lack "pop Icon" status like your Chargers and more "mainstream" cars have.

It's the images of years gone by. If they weren't the hi performace versions of the cars, w/ the possible exception of the Barracuda, then think about who mostly drove these cars. Grandma! That's the problem! People still think of them as a practical, low budget car driven mostly by old folks. If you had seen one driven by a young person back in the day you might think "aah they got that car from an old lady." We know the whole light car big engine concept, but the rest of the world still thinks of it as a granny car. That's why we need to build more of them & show them wrong!

^ 100% this. Especially dusters, it seems haha.

IMHO, little kids are a perfect gauge- they don't care about power, prestige, 'class', etc. They just know what they think is 'cool'.
And I (and I'm sure it's the same for most of you) have seen little kids stare, ride by on their bikes giving thumbs up yelling 'nice car' . Even saw one trying to rip his mom's arm off so he could turn and look as I drove by.
That's enough to tell me about whether my car is 'cool' or not:D

I had kid working at the gas station ask me if my car was a "Trans Am" :banghead:.......I think Firebirds are Dorky so maybe my car is too..........

Some might think my car is, but I don't care what anyone thinks, I love it.

Attachments

• Picture 659.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 741
What 95 said... The last car show I did with the Duster there were several kids hanging out, maybe in that 10-12 yo range and they really hung out by the Duster. When I talked with them a couple said "I like your engine", and couple said "I like the color" and a couple just said "I like your car"
C

BTW - Rani, where did you get the key chain? I want one!

Does this look like something your Grandma would have driven?Well,ya it does.But it doesn't mean that its not a cool car.Dorky?Yep,but I get a lot of thumbs ups,"cool car" and "is that for sale" when I drive it.

Attachments

• 07-20-2012 036.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 788
All 70's A-bodies are Dorky and most all of them were made for your parents transportation unlike the early A's right up to the Barracuda. And unless you were 18 and upwards and around back then, you have little knowledge about the later A-bodies and who bought them. Umm, so they had a chassis, but they didn't have the fine lines the early A's have even in today's world and an early A, with a little bit of modification, they can run with the big boys and drive a real classic
july031.jpg

I personally like that they aren't a "main stream" choice. While I haven't owned mine very long, it was an entry level steal for me. I ended up paying $750 (tax and tag included) for my '71 Valiant. It was being sold to help pay for a camaro since the owner didn't feel it was "cool" enough to justify building any further.

Egs0ml.jpg

Parts are in better supply and aren't nearly as price gouged as they would be for the pony cars and other "popular" customs. Also, like you'd said, the performance possibilities in these lighter A-Bodies are amazing.

But to answer the question, I don't think they're dorky, I just think they're underrated.

Happy to own an A-body and happy to be a part of this community, such great information and the wanted section has already proven invaluable and I look forward to contributing more as I delve into my build. :D

I feel that many people are atracted to the honest simplicity of the design, the "box on wheels" approach. It is apparent that the somewhat humble design has a fiercely loyal following.

Here is my dork-mobile at Carlisle last summer

Attachments

• cuda in tent.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 732
As per the "Urban Dictionary"

Dorky " Someone who is beyond awesome. "

:D

Here is My Dorky A-Body at Moparfest!!!

Attachments

• 1969_dodge_dart_swinger_2-568-426.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 726
Though I love the A-Body cars,

There did seem to be an awful lot of Insurance Salesmen that drove 4-Door Valiants.

The standard 'company car'.
225 (6-Cylinder)
Automatic
Bench Seat
AM Radio
Medium-Blue Paint

Though I love the A-Body cars,

There did seem to be an awful lot of Insurance Salesmen that drove 4-Door Valiants.

The standard 'company car'.
225 (6-Cylinder)
Automatic
Bench Seat
AM Radio
Medium-Blue Paint

They were just Too Cool for there Time & didn't even know it!!!

Dorky, Corky, or just something different 95% of kids 25 and under just look and wonder :happy1: Yet the older crowd walk over and say hello :cheers: dose it have the slanted engine in it :D
I drive mine allot just to run in to town for gas, dog food, or a cold drink :D

Granny is style and can carry the mail everyday.. But even when I park next to a very nice car I enjoy watching people explain to there friends and children about this 66 sedan and what they was used for. Historic not dorky jmo.:D

Attachments

• first%20cruze%20078.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 646
  • Autuuum o12 010.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 695
Three wins in two years. picked best appearance by the fans and judges among several cars. I like A-Bodies. I had all kinds and all brands even a 67 gt500.

I LIKE ALL A-BODIES :glasses7::burnout::finga:

:angel7:Demons are my favorate

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 649
-
Back