Glad I found this site

-

Robster186

Robster186
Reaction score
Just a little info about myself and my 1968 Dodge Dart. I live in Las Vegas,NV ( Henderson) i am the President/Owner of Global Freight Brokers. I live also half the year in Mooresville,NC ( about 30 minutes from Charlotte) Currently my Dart is here in Las Vegas, but I am getting ready to ship her to NC when I find the right Auto Carrier. I also have a 1965 Chevy c-10 longbed that I have restored over the past 5 years. My Dart has been "In the family" for over 20 years. my Dad, and little brother and I all collect and restor classic rods for our own personal pleasure. My Dart has a roller stroker 318, ceramic headers, 727 tranny, 9" rear with 4:10 gears.
Right now I am working on a headlight dilema. For some reason my headlights wont come on. i have parking lights, brake lights, tail lights turn signals,etc. Puller her out of the garage and turned on the headlights. They flickered and then stayed on. Got down the street to get gas and when i went to turn them back on..... nothing. I changed the headlamps, sicne I've had them for about 8 years, but still no headlights

Welcome! have you tried pushing the dimmer switch? is it High and low beam, or just one?

Welcome! have you tried pushing the dimmer switch? is it High and low beam, or just one?
I will try the dimmer switch. I tried the light switch itself in and out and dimming the dash controls etc to see if the headlight switch may be bad or the light knob was loose

as requested

Attachments

• my 68 dart 3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 135
  • my 68 dart 4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 136
  • my 68 dart 5.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 132
  • my 68 dart 6.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 140
  • my 68 dart 7.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 131
  • my 68 dart 8.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 131
  • My 1968 dart 1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 148
  • My 1968 Dodge Dart.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 139
I tried the Dimmer switch. when i push in, I am not getting the noticable clicking between high and low bean, and of course no headlights period. ALL of the other lights are working. I ordered a new headlight switch online, just in case. Even if its not it, cant hurt to have a spare on hand. Any suggestions?

A loose or bad ground?

Dimmer switch also possible.

Had a similar problem when I had the rad re-cored for my Bee. There is a ground wire under the rad mounting bolt.

Hey, welcome!

I agree on the dimmer switch thought. I have seen them cause issues before, and if you kick them a couple times the lights come back on. A word of caution , I have also seen them melt down and burn up their wiring, smoldering under the carpet. They were particularly bad in cars from the salt belt as they would get wet and salty in winter driving causing corrosion in the switch and contacts.

Perhaps try bypassing the switch with a jumper wire to prove it out.

great idea. i ordered a new headlight switch and a new dimmer switch. Cant hurt to upgrade or to at least have back ups. I tired the whole kicking route as well in the end and still no result. Guess I will wait for new switches and go from there. Will advise when solved or thoughts of explosives arise

Welcome, nice Dart. I want your valve covers!!! Just kiddin, but am going to be buying those down the line. Good luck with your electrical, might want to move your question/troubleshooting to the electrical forum, may get more responses there if it turns into a can of worms (lets hope not). There are some VERY knowledgeable people on this site for electrical.

Welcome

Hope you find your problem

I would jumper the dimmer switch wiring to check

3 wires one hot one low one high, get someone to help check them

Have had that problem years ago dimmer switch corrected it.

Have new headlight switch in the car now due to rheostat for dash light bad.

Good looking car

When in doubt check to make sure you have a good ground connection for your lights. There is a little pigtail behind the grill attached to the radiator support. make sure it is screwed down tight and is not corroded under the screw or against the support. Sometimes with a weak ground you will get enough current to run the smaller lights but when you try the headlights the resistance spikes up and things don't work. Worth a try.

Welcome to the forum...

and I would never admit to living in Henderson

-
Back