Glidden Arrow

-

justinp61

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how much compression it’s running, sure has some pop.

I wonder if that’s a Glidden block? Everything I have always read said he cut out the 59 degree lifter bores and welded them back in at 48 degrees.

I wonder if that’s a Glidden block? Everything I have always read said he cut out the 59 degree lifter bores and welded them back in at 48 degrees.
I thought I knew about mopars and now I'm starting to realize I need to give the small blocks alot more attention. That's badass, If he did modify the block and lifter bores to put them at a better angle... well that's my kinda hero

I seem to remember that when he stopped running Mopars, He said because it was too much work to get them to run.

I seem to remember that when he stopped running Mopars, He said because it was too much work to get them to run.
I think I heard it was to much to get Chrysler to cooperate

He made Chrysler a winner, hard to believe they would give him a hard time. But anything was possible back when Pro Stock was so competitive. Win on Sunday buy on Monday.

Ford gave him more money for 1980. He went to Chrysler because NHRA kept pencil whipping his Ford combination right into obsolescence.

Its about the money.

No way is a 314 inch W2 engine making 970 some HP. I call horse crap on that. I’d be comfortable knocking 250 HP off of it and then I’d still be a bit skeptical.

A friend of mine has that car and has been racing it with a Hemi in Nostalgia Pro Stock. Still a sweet car....

RICK ARROW.JPG

IMG_6374.jpg

Extra engine parts. These are W2s that don't look like garden-variety W2s. All the angles were changed. He must have loved the 59º deal. It's crazy what he was doing to these things.
IMG_6379.jpg

You could put your fist in these ports. All sorts of epoxy inside.
IMG_6380.jpg

The exhaust ports are about the only way you would recognize these as W2s.
IMG_6381.jpg

Not sure what "DRE" was? D-something Racing Ent.?
IMG_6384.jpg

The valve pockets are wild.
IMG_6383.jpg

These were kinda heavy actually, I was surprised. Stock stroke stuff the pin bore is so much farther down than stroker pistons.
IMG_6382.jpg

Couple more for ya's.

Floydada!
IMG_6376.jpg

I believe these are not the original carbs but just about everything else is.
IMG_6375.jpg

The radiator sticks out like a sore thumb.
IMG_6422.jpg

Boundary scoop.
IMG_6377.jpg

Awesome detail on this thing. Amazing restoration.
IMG_6378.jpg

It would be interesting to see how much compression it’s running, sure has some pop.

I’m sure he is exceeding 12.5-1, LOL.
As smart as we are on this race combination stuff, we could walk this backwards a little bit I think. Let’s start with the best available octane gas in 1979.

I’ll say one thing though, those domed gas ported pistons look like they can really put the squeeze in there. Which brings up the next questions to think on. What W2 head was used? How many cc’s did he have the head milled down to if needed? Though I’m sure it was done since in that class, what ever needs to be done will be done to get that win.

IDK what kind of durations were used back then on the camshaft or what the engine was spinning, but again, “Maximum Effort” is the only effort in Pro Stock.

Rob, per the current owner, the engine was over 15:1. I think it ran on ethanol.

It's somewhat common knowledge that Glidden altered the valvetrain angles. Dude was a cast-iron welder extraordinaire. I watched a video that described what he did to the Cleveland stuff to make it work the way he wanted. There was a picture of the furnace he used to heat the parts up enough to weld on them. Minimizing or eliminating inherent design flaws in cast iron parts was not an option but a necessity.

Mechanical ingenuity is becoming a lost art in the computer age.

Was there a alcohol fuel in the late ‘70’s?

That’s true on the amount of people these days willing to cut up heads and resell them back the way you want it or any other part. On the W2 engines I’m working on, the oval port will stay. Epoxy is needed on the intake floor with the M1 TR, porting will be done there as well. But not big wild work.

Innovative work mostly happens at the main manufacturing places. Not so much the race or home shops anymore. It was never huge in its presence. But now it’s mostly non existent since the aftermarket is making killer parts IIRB and made outstanding by high effort head porters and the like.

The fact that they were using cast iron heads and blocks probably reflects the time and maybe the rules of the class more than anything. "Pro Stock" meaning some part of the deal had to be a factory part. Ultimately he did what he did because that's what the technology of the time allowed. CNC machines didn't exist, nor did CAD or whatever. There were aluminum blocks and heads for some stuff like top fuel but pretty sure no one was making alloy heads or blocks in an effective race configuration for small block Mopars.

It's just neat stuff from a long time ago. Makes you ponder what he would have been able to accomplish with the stuff that's available now or even a few years ago. Computer deigned aluminum parts levels the playing field but at the same time eliminates the uniqueness out of specific platforms like small block Mopars of Clevelands.

That's progress I guess and probably why we have nosalgia racing classes.

He made Chrysler a winner, hard to believe they would give him a hard time. But anything was possible back when Pro Stock was so competitive. Win on Sunday buy on Monday.
Chrysler was almost belly up at that time, no money for Bob.
I’ll add, he cut up and welded back a sbc intake to fit the W2s, before Eldebrock made one like it. He said the engine wouldn’t fall out of a tree untill he changed those lifter angles! My question WHY didn’t Chrysler incorporate that in the new R block? Plus special cans had to be made to use those angles (spread out too). A true ‘hot Rodder’ he MADE what he needed to work!

Last edited:
View attachment 1716163435

Extra engine parts. These are W2s that don't look like garden-variety W2s. All the angles were changed. He must have loved the 59º deal. It's crazy what he was doing to these things.
View attachment 1716163436

You could put your fist in these ports. All sorts of epoxy inside.
View attachment 1716163437

The exhaust ports are about the only way you would recognize these as W2s.
View attachment 1716163438

Not sure what "DRE" was? D-something Racing Ent.?
View attachment 1716163439

The valve pockets are wild.
View attachment 1716163440

These were kinda heavy actually, I was surprised. Stock stroke stuff the pin bore is so much farther down than stroker pistons.
View attachment 1716163442
3” crank

-
Back